Thread: The "I just saw" thread

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

The Founder: I enjoyed it, wonderful acting by Michael Keaton. I didn't know anything about the birth of Mc Donalds Inc prior to watching the movie, so the novelty of the story worked my way but it might spoil it for people in the know.

What I really liked is that the movie did not shy away from taking a slices out of the American dream: it's not only just about hard work nor opportunities, it's about ruthless ambition and having good business lawyers.

Fun fact: Mc Donalds is not in the Hamburger business at all.

WhiskeySykes's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    Fun fact: Mc Donalds is not in the Hamburger business at all.
    Advertising?

I usually pass on superheroes, but I'm glad I didn't this time. I saw Logan. Nothing to speak of cinematically, just a good story. They paid homage to Shane, and it worked well. Xavier's dementia moments were a little like real life, so that worked well... yeah.
    Shogun 2 Mods:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Paterson

Kylo Ren goes undercover as a bus driver and an aspiring poet in Lou Costello's hometown.
    The First Order can wait while he does his daily shifts and reads poetry to his sultry Indian wife.
    They also enjoy a sexless marriage and a French Bulldog.

Best lines:

Doc: Paterson, you still don't got a cell phone?
    Paterson: Uh, no. No, I don't want one. It would be a leash.
    Doc: What about the better half, she got one?
    Paterson: She's got one, yeah. And the laptop, and an iPad...
    Doc: She doesn't want you to get one?
    Paterson: No. She's okay about it. She understands me really well.
    Doc: [mutters] A lucky guy.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; March 27, 2017 at 07:13 AM.

Iron Fist - While it seems to struggle a bit with it's budget and a rather loose relationship with the story flow, and you can't fault it for the fight choreography and a cast certainly gave a fairly good performance; inn fact, I totally failed to recognize the leads, that I had seen them before, or that they're British.

As I vaguely recall, Iron Fist always seemed somewhat as a whitewashed with a costume slightly less cringeworthy than Powerman's, and probably a rip off of the Karate Kid, except from a Sinoese tradition.

It's better than Luke Cage, but doesn't touch Daredevil.

The recurring cast have got to be overjoyed.

Watchable, but that simmering rage and naivety seems a little hard to believe; the set up to the plot twists could have been better handled.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

The Love Witch

Rarely does wooden acting blend with bad writing so seamlessly.
    A true masterpiece of bad cinema.

Written & directed by a woman.
    Much of the set decorations and costumes were hand made by the director.
    Woo-hoo~

Watch this if you like, have nothing to do with your time.

Best lines:
    There are none
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; March 29, 2017 at 02:51 AM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Finally watched Frozen with my sister two days ago, had not seen it before.

Quite a nice movie, it has some compelling characters. I do like both princesses though Elsa's role seems a bit smaller than I thought it would be. Olaf works very well for a sidekick too, I like how he whispers often instead of being loud and obnoxious.

It has the problem of not enough world building though. They could have made the movie a little longer or cut out some songs that didnt serve a purpose in favor of other content. It says nothing about why Elsa has ice powers, where their parents where going before their very random death and many other things.
    It could have been resolved with having some kind of royal advisor character to tie all that together, provide a little exposition about the kingdom and be a spokesperson for the royalty when neither are in the castle where they oddly enough seem to feel like prisoners despite being the ones in charge.

Also, it lacks a descent villain. Then again Frollo might have been the last truly good villain Disney had so it was to be expected. Sure it's a nice plot twist that Hans is the villain, but he does not really do much and seems to change personality. A villain song might have helped there and could have replaced Olaf's song about summer or the troll song.

In the end, I'd say the movie is great material for a sequel though and I understand they are already working on that. It all just feels rather small and I expected something a bit more grandiose.

That's because they completely one eightyed the plot in the middle of production; it's a fun feel good movie with great songs and some neat one liners; they found it works better as a deconstruction than a straight fairy tale rendering.

Well I do think the deconstruction of their own tropes is working well, I have nothing against that.

It's an interesting concept to have the prince be the villain, but sadly he is a very bland villain. They could have done more with him. Before turning villain he works quite well as a character, he has personality. Might have worked better if they made him a little more like Gaston. A smarter, less self absorbed Gaston, but still showing some arrogance, and showing a lot more arrogance when revealed as villain.

It's the main thing that I truly miss in Disney movies for so many years now. I like to see villains have something creepy about them, allow them to be menacing.

It's why Maleficent is such a great villain. The original one, not that garbage remake. She pretty much embodies all thats best in a proper disney villain.
    Eloquent, elegant, pretty succesfull in her schemes instead of a fumbling idiot, and downright menacing when she wants to be. Turning into a friggin dragon for the endgame while proclaiming the prince has to face the powers of hell is certainly a hell of a way to end on a high note.

The Saga of Tanya the Evil - What would you do if you discovered that God had it out for your, when he finds your lack of faith disturbing at the moment of your impending death, and decides to reincarnate you as a poor orphan girl on an alternate Earth about to engage in the Great War, with the caveat that when you next die, you go straight to hell?

Your only advantages are that you retain your training as a cut throat company hatchet man, and a rather detailed knowledge of history. Plus are very magically gifted.

So you volunteer at nine to serve in the German army as a mage officer cadet, and work your way up the ranks, in order to acquire a cushy (and safe) rear area or headquarters post.

I think there were at least two previous animes with girls acting like combat piston aircraft, and then you combine it with Full Metal Alchemist, some Teutonic loli gothism and Great War and Great Patriotic War iconography, with a touch of sadism, and you get this freshly concluded anime series, ending with the Afrika Korps desperate not to get stalemated at El Alamein (presumably).

The action takes place in the mid twenties, which still doesn't make the mixture of technologies sensible; you have cute moments, mostly from Tanya's sidekick, the not completely unaware buxom Victoria (it really doesn't work for the anime the one time Tanya does it in order to follow the requirement of International conventions, though not the spirit).

It's more a commentary on the evils of war, the sacrifice of the proletariat, the obliviousness of the elite, and that the universe doesn't really care about suffering.

Catchy OP and ED.

Fun to watch, but not for everyone.

All Nighter

Nice, but real people don't act this mature.
    Especially not after a Break-Up.

J. K Simmons was great.

The Counsellor

This, was a waste of my time.

Why HIM?

Or better still, why me?
    Got to stop watching these crap movies.
    Gene Simmons was great.
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; April 02, 2017 at 07:10 PM.

Brimstone
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1895315/

Not bad. Not bad at all. A nice western Thriller.
    It has an underlying Feminist message in there, but very nicely put it, and wortth the mention. And another case of the excesses of religion, in this case in the protestant area wich is always nice to take notice for a change.

Woth noting that Jon Snow still knows nothing, and Carice Van Houten is still hot.

Acting is specialy great on this good movie.
    Emilia jones, the young Joana has also a great performance. For a kid.
    Dakota Fanning, and Guy Pierce (as the reverend) were specialy good.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; April 04, 2017 at 04:02 PM.

Thunderbirds 2004 - It's a kids movie, unfortunately. Which sort of conflicts with Sophia Myles' Lady Penelope's prominent protruding perky tits during the fight sequence.

You have to admire the sheer professionalism of Ben Kingsley, the Hood is about the only character worth watching.

Missable.

If you stream Netflix, watch Admiral (aka Michiel de Ruyter). Its seldom a good movie hits Netflix, even less for a biopic that defies it's budget.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

It's a pretty bad movie even though it looks quite nice.

The raid of the Medway is argueably the most iconic thing that Michiel de Ruyter did, yet it shows pretty much nothing of that. The movie also covers events of 30 years or such, yet its here shown to all take place in one year considering his kids are not aging, no one seems to age.

The portrayal of Stadtholder Willem III (later King William III of England) is also completely inaccurate. But appearantly they needed a villain in the movie and oddly enough they turned conquering the throne of another nation to ensure it won't be a threat to the Netherlands into a bad thing. It just pisses all over Willem III of Orange-Nassau, who really was one of the better rulers the Netherlands had through history. Heck, he became the first Dutch king long before the Netherlands itself became a kingdom.

My Father's Vietnam

A real description of war, seen through participants and family members.
    Kinda emotional

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    It's a pretty bad movie even though it looks quite nice.

The raid of the Medway is argueably the most iconic thing that Michiel de Ruyter did, yet it shows pretty much nothing of that. The movie also covers events of 30 years or such, yet its here shown to all take place in one year considering his kids are not aging, no one seems to age.

The portrayal of Stadtholder Willem III (later King William III of England) is also completely inaccurate. But appearantly they needed a villain in the movie and oddly enough they turned conquering the throne of another nation to ensure it won't be a threat to the Netherlands into a bad thing. It just pisses all over Willem III of Orange-Nassau, who really was one of the better rulers the Netherlands had through history. Heck, he became the first Dutch king long before the Netherlands itself became a kingdom.
    All that may be true, but Admiral was on a budget of 8 million euros. I think it did really well. I'd love more faithful bio-epics, but that genre hasn't got the chops to cow attention from heavy-weight screenwriters and directors. That's why I still recommend Admiral.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

I know the budget is limited, I was actually surprised how good it actually looks considering how Dutch movies usually look. But they did show some other fleet battles, might as well have cut one of those to show the battle of Medway instead.
    Otherwise it's kind of like making a movie about Henry V and including several of his battles, but not really showing the battle of Agincourt. And budget is no excuse for poorly portraying a former stadtholder.

If it was made by a foreign team I could have forgiven the inaccuracies, but as it is this is just embarassing for me as a Dutchman.
    Stadtholder Willem III was known for keeping his thoughts and emotions to himself, he was hard to read. He's reduced to a puppet of the English pretty much.

M hm, you make a valid point. I've thought more about it... Something analogous might be shooting a five minute scene of the Battle of Flamburough Head for a movie about John Paul Jones, by an American crew. You would think, allowing that Flam may not have been as monumental as Medway, an American team would at least build the suspense, maybe even pitch a battle to make Errol Flynn proud in his grave. You would expect action worthy of a commander's opus, dammit.

The same goes for Admiral's Dutch team. They really can't be excused, whatever the budget, since they made allowance for other battles. They could have cut the final battle scene, opting to show Admiral de Ruyter engage the French, but use the rest of that time for Medway. The only explanations I can think of are, they wanted to focus on the action revolving around parliament, or they snuck onto the property to avoid paying rent-a-fortress fees, so they had to be quick about it.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

The Abominable Bride

Nice, but could've been better.
    Needs more blood and gunshots.
    That Moriarty is one creepy er.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

The Blackcoat's daughter. Actually this was a pretty good horror movie

Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC