Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are light infantry useless?

Mythman's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Are light infantry useless?

Quote Originally Posted by Amish Electrician View Post
    Ohh, that's what that was.

For some reason when I use things like that and Fire & Advance it glitches so that all my infantry instead of only those selected do it, which often puts me off from using it.
    I have had that glitch as well! It's ok when you have an army of line infantry but when you have a complete mix it's a real pain.
    Has anyone successfully used light infantry as assassins in the game?
    Shogun Total War 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Mythman View Post
    But harrassing the enemy isn't that important is it?
    In the historical context it would be messing with the mind of the enemy general or unit commanders, trying to get them to break up their attacks to chase skirmishers or do something stupid, weakening their main assault.

In the game its more about causing the AI to do stupid things; getting his heavy cavalry to charge onto your stakes rather then flanking your artillery, etc. To my mind anything that delays his attack so my artillery can continue firing against him his a bonus.

Personally I find light inf VERY useful when facing native American armies of bowmen and light cavalry, but less-so against standard european armies.

It can also be very useful to use light cav as skirmishers; running them behind the enemy army then along its axis can cause units to chase after them, or stop their advance to form into square.
    Last edited by Darthey; May 13, 2009 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthey View Post
    Personally I find light inf VERY useful when facing native American armies of bowmen and light cavalry, but less-so against standard european armies.
    Why are they useful against natives?
    I would rather have more muskets firing in a volley than have a unit of light infantry.
    Shogun Total War 2!

Here are more uses of light infantry:
    - The cheap ones like guerriles: Send one of them to guard the towns or around the enemy stack to block their movings. AI don't often attack them, if they do, just withdraw.
    - Send them to buildings if enemy don't have big guns. It seems like AI don't often assault buildings much.
    - Most units has better stamina, run them around like cavalry! They are poor man's cavalry and they don't charge well. But they can mass fire at one! Reload, run close to the back of the enemy, fire!

And deploy stakes everywhere is nearly a game breaker. AI cavalry just don't avoid the stakes!
    Last edited by Cavalry24; May 13, 2009 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalry24 View Post
    Here are more uses of light infantry:
    - The cheap ones like guerriles: Send one of them to guard the towns or around the enemy stack to block their movings. AI don't often attack them, if they do, just withdraw.
    - Send them to buildings if enemy don't have big guns. It seems like AI don't often assault buildings much.
    - Most units has better stamina, run them around like cavalry! They are poor man's cavalry and they don't charge well. But they can mass fire at one! Reload, run close to the back of the enemy, fire!

And deploy stakes everywhere is nearly a game breaker. AI cavalry just don't avoid the stakes!
    Ok thanks for the ideas!
    Shogun Total War 2!

Andivh's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Mythman View Post
    If it was at an earlier point I might be tempted to take light infantry in my armies but atm I don't think light infantry are worth the money.
    I would much rather take some extra artillery or line regiments than light infantry.
    Surely they are not just like velities from rtw; good for about the first 10 seconds of a battle then die?
    Generally I have agreed with you and just brought along more artillery, but now I'm starting to experiment with light infantry.
    Beat the Hell out of Navy!

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Light Infantry are there to allow you time to deploy your line. I use them to screen my advance. Then once the line is deployed I'll move them to secure my flanks - generally a single flank since I deploy my line in an oblique formation.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

ElementUK's Avatar Miles

Default In reply to the Q: What are Grenzers?

Playing Austria and researching 'Machined Rifling', it is supposed to give you a unit called Grenzers but they never show in the recruitment list. Unit card viewable by right clicking on M.Rifling and then right clicking on the small unit displayed.

Grenzers use the double barreled musket.

Default Re: In reply to the Q: What are Grenzers?

Quote Originally Posted by ElementUK View Post
    Playing Austria and researching 'Machined Rifling', it is supposed to give you a unit called Grenzers but they never show in the recruitment list. Unit card viewable by right clicking on M.Rifling and then right clicking on the small unit displayed.

Grenzers use the double barreled musket.
    Thanks for the info!
    Shogun Total War 2!

ElementUK's Avatar Miles

I found another post that says by using the unpacker tool we can open a file called patch.pack I think it is. Then change their faulty recruitment location so they turn up. However people have been making that place Austria Homeland when it should really be Transylvania.

I've tried to find the file to unpack and alter, but can't find it in the Empire Folder. Yep all files are viewable.

Searched it out: (Copied from previous postee):

Steam\Steam Apps\Common\Empire Total War\Data

go to patch.pack --> db ---> units_tables --> units

Scroll down through the Unit ID row until you get to 'euro_elite_light_infantry_croatian_grenzers' and scroll horizontally until you get to the "Region ID Ref" column, copy and paste the "austria_home_regions" entry from the "windbuchse_jaegers" entry and into the grenzer entry.

PS: lol - I can't do it without errors, it's tricky. Also Hungary is as close as we can get region wise it seems, as their isn't an entry that comes to mind in the list.
    Last edited by ElementUK; May 14, 2009 at 05:11 PM.

I beg to disagree. Light infantry are(when used right) perfect ambush units. Also they could be excellent flank protectors picking on enemies who would try to get behind you main line and eliminate such vital unit such as your General or Artillery. They also can thin out enemy lines at a range and when your main army meets them, the enemy may have weakened considerably. And if you're just cruel, they are excellent cannon fodder to hold off the enemy until your main army comes.
    I am an Imperial commissar. I will enflame the weak, support the wavering, guide the lost. I will be all things to all men who need me. But I will also punish without hesitation the weak, the incompetent, and the treasonous.
    - Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt

I beg to disagree as well. In my experience, light infantry are one of the worst flank protectors ever, especially against the AI because they get melee rushed and destroyed. Sure they're great flank attackers, but they can only guard against cavalry flankers. They can't stand an extended shootout with flanking infantry, and they get annihilated by flanking melee troops, so once they deploy their stakes, they should move up to attack before the enemy can even decide to flank you.
    Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

As I've said excellent cannon fodder as a distraction. But again, this is only if used wisely. In some games, I've seen some players who used their light infantry with excellent results. He had killed a good number of enemy troops before he brought in his main army. I am only glad I was on his team. But I do see your point about their strength against line infantry. But still light infantry are still a good addition to your army.

But historically speaking, light infantry were the key to success in various military action during the 18th century. I guess it did not translate well in the game due to AI bugs. Remember that the British had formed many light brigades back then.
    Last edited by CommissarGaunt; May 14, 2009 at 09:22 PM.
    I am an Imperial commissar. I will enflame the weak, support the wavering, guide the lost. I will be all things to all men who need me. But I will also punish without hesitation the weak, the incompetent, and the treasonous.
    - Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt

ElementUK's Avatar Miles

Maybe these above points merely reveal that their unit numbers should be upped to say 80 - 100. They should be able to engage in a longer skirmish against flanking Line Inf or they are just not doing their job. They need to keep moving back to keep their 80 range advantage. Not get bogged down in a volley for volley exchange.

The ideal solution would I feel be the ability 'Fire and Advance' - which works in reverse for the Lights. First rank fires and then retreats to the rear and so on...

Is this a possible mod-for-the-making? We know the numbers is easy to do. Any modders out there who know the file structure for the 'Fire and Advance' ability?

Also I have not seen here the mention of their extreme usefulness if the terrain is in your favor with sloped ground. Their slightly longer range means you can line them up 'behind' your front Line Inf and still fire at the enemy, almost doubling the effectiveness of defeating frontal assaults.
    Last edited by ElementUK; May 16, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Lumina's Avatar Vicarius

Light Infantry Give a good extra punch to an enemy, take up less room on the field as well, in light infantry mode they are spred out and kneeling allowing any units behind them to shoot over their heads making a even more deadly wall of fire having longer range/more accurate light infantry in front, while line men guard from behind shooting over their heads, thats how Light Infantry can be useful in a line formation, also ambushing, and hunting. Light Infantry can move around faster than Line Infantry, meaning you can catch up to retreated enemies quicker, and with longer range engage them much easier than trying to catch up with Line Infantry, also 80 range or higher units can fire farther than line infantry or militia in buildings, you can camp them at max range away from a house and pepper it up with musket fire. Light Infantry can also hide in grass, making them more useful for ambushing, I watched a regiment of 60 cavalry route from 2 light regiments I had in the grass, they stood up and fired full volleys, the Horse men didn't stand a chance. I use Light infantry for fun, theya re so much more fun to use in fact, they can outrun line infantry so you can get awya if needed. Their accuracy is perhaps their best feature over their range, a few ranks up and they are deadly, but fresh new light infantry is pretty disapointing to use. A 160 light infantry full Volley (two regiments of Lights) is far deadlier than 160 line infantry firing in rank fire easily. They are also cheap, veyr cheap for upkeep cost, and if used right they will eat up normal line infantry. I used them to defend artillery on an online battle, they fended off several regiments of line infantry throughout the battle, doing hit and run, slowing the units down while the artillery can be moved and redeployed since it was horsed artillery.
    Last edited by Lumina; May 15, 2009 at 12:39 PM.

Is there any point in light infantry against the AI? Generally the AI just charges his armies up, meaning that light infantry screening the front get one shot in, then have to retreat behind the line infantry where they cause friendly fire if they continue firing. Also, by the time that has happened, it is usually too late to pull the light infantry back to cover your flanks. I find mortars are a better alternative to light infantry. Better range, better damage, and more versatile (firing over walls, bringing down buildings)

Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Is there any point in light infantry against the AI? Generally the AI just charges his armies up, meaning that light infantry screening the front get one shot in, then have to retreat behind the line infantry where they cause friendly fire if they continue firing. Also, by the time that has happened, it is usually too late to pull the light infantry back to cover your flanks. I find mortars are a better alternative to light infantry. Better range, better damage, and more versatile (firing over walls, bringing down buildings)
    I can safely say that although light infantry may seem useless, they are in-fact very useful.
    Now (thanks to this thread and its posters ) I always take atleast one unit of light infantry into battle.
    I find them useful for sniping enemy generals or killing enemy artillery. Also longrifle men are amazing! I have won many a siege by sneaking these guys round the back!
    Shogun Total War 2!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123