Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite HoI2 faction

gdm3's Avatar Civis

What is your favorite faction to play as in Hearts of Iron 2? Why?

1) Germany; it's interesting to fathom what things would've been like if they had succeeded.

Other favorites:
    2) Britain; I always enjoy playing as the Brits.
    3) America; conquering Canada and Mexico can produce limited entertainment.

I don't have a favourite country in HoI 2

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Soviet Union.

In the past 8 years I've conquered and annexed most of western Europe and assumed military control of all the nations in my alliance including Britain, DDR (formally known as Germany) and France. At this minute I have 100 armies in Britain alone preparing for an invasion on America. 65 more armies are stationary in Berlin and I have a 100+ more in the areas around Calais and Paris.
    However, one of the saddest things that gets to me is the way that even though I've united most of Europe, the Soviet Union has dissolved into nothing more than the driving force behind this movement. Even my armies are pretty damn small, they just act as the men that overwatch everyone else.

I don't have a favourite country in HoI 2
    Then what is the point in posting? :rolleyes

Hamelkart's Avatar Senator

1. Japan
    2. Germany
    3. Romania
    PADAJ SILO I NEPRAVDO!

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I'm playing the Stony road mod HSR 2.02, which is brilliant BTW, on H/VA. I tried, US, UK, USSR. I think Germany is the most challenging country, since most gameplay and events are around the European theatre, and AI Japan still cannot properly use the navy to challenge a overpowered US. The Sovs would be good if one decides to DoW Japan and later DoW the allies.(again AI Germany sucks-even in SR).
    I would like to try Italy next, and then a country like Brazil or Argentina. A friend found Hungary to be a very (event and diplomacy wise) interesting challenge.

Hamelkart's Avatar Senator

I tried playing as Argentina, conquered entire S. America, but Americans and British got pissed and beat the crap out of me once and for all.
    PADAJ SILO I NEPRAVDO!

Austria. I gave them back national provinces of the former austro-hungarian monarchy. Furthermore I wrote some events that Austria gets Hungary's techteams and leaders. Really great fun, I'm having my first game with these options.
    1. Non-aggression treaty with Italy.
    2. Attack and annex Hungary.
    3. Research Infantry 36, build some stacks of 3 with Artillery and annex Yugoslavia, release Serbia as a puppet.
    4. Mid 1937, WW2 starts: Greece and Turkey declare war on me bc of Yugoslavia. They make an alliance. A few days later the Italians declare war on Turkey/Greece, then the Allies declare war on Italy and Germany declares war on the Allies. Then the allies see that Austria startet WW2 again and declare war on me. Austria and Italy join the axis.
    5. Germany performs a formidable Sichelschnitt in the beginning of 1938, Greece and Turkey are austrian puppets. Now the glorious austrian Heer is marching towards Suez. :w00t

gdm3's Avatar Civis

If any of you have played a campaign as Ethiopia, was it fun and how did you defeat the Italians. I was just wondering because I'm thinking of starting a game as them.

Originally posted by gdm3@May 23 2005, 06:23 AM
    If any of you have played a campaign as Ethiopia, was it fun and how did you defeat the Italians. I was just wondering because I'm thinking of starting a game as them.
    I read somewhere that someone managed a world conquest with ethiopia in HoI1. Don't ask me how. :wack

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

I read somewhere that someone managed a world conquest with ethiopia in HoI1. Don't ask me how.
    I saw this and my belief is that the guy was cheating.

My favourite "faction" is Germany. Second is Japan. It is way to easy to play with the allies. I'm thinking about starting a game with Romania or Bulgaria now.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Originally posted by Octavian@May 23 2005, 04:19 AM
    Then what is the point in posting? :rolleyes
    an answer to the question maybe? :rolleyes
    I don't see that my answer is not on-topic! THere are numerous countries in HoI2 to play so I really doubt someone can even give an accurate answer to this question cause no one did play each country to get an idea of how much fun playing them means. Often the smaller countries are even more rewarding than the big and usual ones

Originally posted by Portuguese Rebel@May 23 2005, 11:58 AM

I saw this and my belief is that the guy was cheating.

My favourite "faction" is Germany. Second is Japan. It is way to easy to play with the allies. I'm thinking about starting a game with Romania or Bulgaria now.
    Romania is great fun. You can trade away your surplus of oil to germany or ussr. You've got about 30IC and 150MP. Make your choice wheter to support the ussr, the axis or even the allies. :lol
    Espacially in MP Romania can get very interesting.

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Yes, i think i'll be choosing Romania due to their interesting middle postion. Now i must decide wether to support the Axis or the USSR (i think that to support the allies while being in that area may paramount to suicide).

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Playing as Italy atm, things are getting seriously weird. Early victory against Ethiopia, anexed Albania, Yugoslavia then declare war on me, Greece (my allies) declare war on Yugoslavia who inturn declare war on Turkey, leading to the allies declaring war on Turkey thus being at war with me, Turkey and Greece. Things were going well (UK have not commited any of its divisions in Africa yet against my lightly defended Libyan position) however Persia(?&#33 has decided the time is ripe to invade the recently annexed Ethiopia (This must be the AI "cheating" as IIRC Persia starts with no flotillas. The way things are going, providing it happens before the relevant scripting in 1939, USSR could be at war with the allies. This happened in a Swedish campaign of mine, but resulted in the game CtD before the historic out-break of WW2.

All before the end of 1937. :blink

gdm3's Avatar Civis

I've also been thinking of playing a game as Romania or Poland, but I don't know if I'd be able to keep the USSR or Germany from conquering me.

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

Either Japan or the UK. Japan moreso, kicking the crap out of Nationalist China is awesome.

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

gdm3's Avatar Civis

Yeah Japan is good, I just played a game as them and conquered all of the assorted chinese factions, indochina, and dutch indonesia in less than 3 years.

Even though I bought the game a while back, I just haven't had the time until now to play it, and so at the moment I would have to say Britain (starting in 1936) as they are the only one I have played as.

I am currently considering playing as either Poland or Japan next, but just can't make up my mind which one to choose.
    Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all Ypatia (350-370? – 415) AD
    Check it out

Originally posted by Pausanias@May 25 2005, 12:50 PM
    Even though I bought the game a while back, I just haven't had the time until now to play it, and so at the moment I would have to say Britain (starting in 1936) as they are the only one I have played as.

I am currently considering playing as either Poland or Japan next, but just can't make up my mind which one to choose.
    Umm, expect a short life span with Poland. You can annex Germany in '36 with your starting army, but in '39 you don't have a chance to survive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast