Thread: New Card Game

A couple of months ago, I started making a TWC-based card game, which had a game mechanic similar to Wizard's Magic. I eventually quit designing cards, in part because I wasn't anymore a very active member of TWC and in part because I eventually realized that creating a game that no one would play was, to say the least, dumb.

Anyway, here I am, asking you readers if you have any ideas for a CCG/TCG, completely amateur of course, which one could even think about implementing web support to be played online. Drop your ideas here, support of critics.

To check out the cards I made go here.

Cheers *wink*
    浪人 - 二天一

Looks alright manji.

Ought to go a lil onto the roman style and off of the elven/medieval/fantasy type thing but otherwise looks good.
    --Bob!--

I prefer the Fantasy, continue the TWC card game! PLZ! oh and make a card for me ... You are my grandfather in TWC since your patronee trance is my patron. Make a card... for the family. :cool Love the sig btw.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

smack's Avatar Complaints Department

They look fantastic Manji. Great idea. Wish I had a color printer to print them out. An online game would be even better...

If I had to make a suggestion to make it playable by the masses, it would be to have the cards customizable to any forum. Say, start a deck with 5 Trolls, 2 Mods, 1 Spammer, etc.., and add in custom cards..

In patronicum svb: Spartan
    Patronum celcum quo: teecee, Old Celt, SigniferOne
    If you dare: My Journal or If you care: The Price Tag

The original idea was fo each faction in the game to be correlated with a real world mythology/culture. If there are enough people interested I might either continue the game, revamp it (make it better, introduce new concepts, etc) or even start it over.

Card imagery is also a important factor. Do you prefer illustrations or real life pictures? Share your thoughts peeps
    浪人 - 二天一

GauisGizmo's Avatar Civis

Originally posted by Bigguss Dickuss@May 22 2005, 02:49 PM
    Looks alright manji.

Ought to go a lil onto the roman style and off of the elven/medieval/fantasy type thing but otherwise looks good.
    Agreed. This website is for Rome Total War, right?
    Proud suppoter of:
    and <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Rome - Total Realism</span></span>
    <span style='color:green'>That means 6.0 will be worshiped as a god in small African countries - Justinian</span>

Keep the original game you started, use illustrations and the fantasy culture idea is cool. Just make a card for me lol. Will it be playable? Does it have complicated rules?
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Dang thats pretty good lol. In it are the royalists and patricians like enemies? Also I don&#39;t get it why do you have character cards and army cards do the characters strengthen the army?
    Me and my friend sam
    Sam &quot;Hey Tom should I kill them all?&quot; Me &quot;yes&quot; Sam &quot;even the women and children?&quot; Me &quot;Especially the women and children&quot;

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Don&#39;t have it too fantasy-based though. LoTR strikes a good medium with cultures based on Scandinavians, Romans, Englishmen, etc.

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Originally every faction had a counterfaction, Royalists vs Patricians, Barbarians vs Clansman, Clerics vs Wizards but some factions were interchangeable, for example, you could have Royalist and Patricians cards with both Wizards and Clerics though some cleric cards couldnt enter play if you controlled for example a cleric. I had a thread about the game, i&#39;ll look for it.
    Character cards cannot fight army cards and vice versa. Character cards deal damage to other characters and to to player, army cards deal damage to Resource Cards and the player.

For example:

To play this card you must have a patrician resource in play, for example:

浪人 - 二天一

Eothain's Avatar woo

God no. Rome and stuff is boring, fantasy is more interesting and allows you to use your imagination. Likewise I think illistrations are better than what real life pictures would look like.

Maybe for a new game, you could make a game like Pazaak (from KoToR) which is like Poker except you have positive and negative cards (and need to get 20 instead of 21). And you could have different forummers as different positive and negative cards&#33;
    MareNostrum for DICTATOR FOR LIFE!

[move]I wanna stand up, I wanna let go. You know, you know, no you don't, you don't. I wanna shine on in the hearts of man, I wanna meaning from the back of my broken hand. Another head aches, another heart breaks. I'm so much older than I can take. And my affection, well it comes and goes, I need direction to perfection, no, no, no, no, no. Help me out, yeah, you know you gotta help me out, yeah. Oh don't you put me on the backburner, you've gotta help me out, yeah. And when there's nowhere else to run, is there room for one more son, these changes, ain't changing me, the cold-hearted boy I used to be.[/move]

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

I&#39;m still interested, Manji.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

Manji,
    This if a freaking great idea&#33;
    Attention everyone, there has been an excellent FREE card game developed by a guy named Zak. It&#39;s called hoplites and can reinact any battle of the ancient world. It has beautiful card illustatrions and can be also played solo against a very well done ai. Skirmishing rules, cavalry flanking, routing etc, are all well implemented. Just type in &#39;Zak&#39;s Hoplites&#39; in yahoo or google and you can find it. It also has an &#39;xpack&#39; for samurai and conan.
    Hey Manji, maybe you could email Zak and see if he want&#39;s to help you, or release the engine for you to work with. I&#39;ve emailed Zak to see when the next update is, but I assume he&#39;s pretty busy, or left the project fallow for awhile. I myself wouldn&#39;t be too intrested in just a card game where you have to play with someone else, but if you made it a simple computer came, using for example the Thoth engine, that would be pretty spectacular.
    "The way to a man's heart is through his ribs."

Maxiumus_pooh: well, to integrate my card game into the Thoth engine seems a bit far fetch right now since I don&#39;t have enough cards made nor the game mechanics well defined.

On another note, I was browsing my old card game thread and found the rules I had sketched out before. I will either elaborate on these rules or make a totally new game, it all depends on the game setting.

Anyone with ideas for game setting (fantasy, historical, political, war-game, etc) feel free to post
    浪人 - 二天一

Originally posted by Manji@May 22 2005, 05:04 PM
    Maxiumus_pooh: well, to integrate my card game into the Thoth engine seems a bit far fetch right now since I don&#39;t have enough cards made nor the game mechanics well defined.

On another note, I was browsing my old card game thread and found the rules I had sketched out before. I will either elaborate on these rules or make a totally new game, it all depends on the game setting.

Anyone with ideas for game setting (fantasy, historical, political, war-game, etc) feel free to post
    Preferably historical, Manji, as there are quite a lot of fantasy card games out there.
    "The way to a man's heart is through his ribs."

Nihil's Avatar Annihilationist

Those cards look impressive to say the least. I urge you to continue, Manji.
    Ex Nihilo, Nihil Fit.
    Acting Paterfamilias of House Rububula
    Former Patron of the retired Atheist Peace
    Current Lineup: Jesus The Inane, PacSubCom, Last Roman, Evariste, I Have a Clever Name, Gabriella26, Markas and Katrina