Thread: firelock musket citizens in villages idea!

Lias_solano's Avatar Semisalis

Default firelock musket citizens in villages idea!

Hi
    Just had an idea while playing and thought id see what you thought.I was playing as the UP and had emptied my capital of its troops to aid my forces fight the Spanish in Flanders.While i was gone Westphalia declared war and sent an eight unit stack of infantry against my Capital,stopping to raid my farm and university on the way.I was gifted about 8 units of firelock musket citizens with which to defend my Capital city.I won the battle and it was while i was fighting i got to thinking.Why is it my Capital city,with its Goverment buildings,barracks etc can only muster armed citizens when a Enemy is approaching for its defence?

I think a better idea would be that when assualted a region capital should spawn units of conscripts or militia.This could represent the city mobilzing city militias,town watch and conscripting men off the city and surrounding area to fight,A regions capital city should have more to defend itself than the armed citizens that get spawned.I know some poeple will think that if you want more troops to defend then recruit them as normal but its getting too expensive to have huge garrison armies now.Having the militia and conscripts troops spawn when attacked would represent the troops being mobilzed when the are needed most.

I also thought that it would be cool if the minor towns/villages in the province should spawn armed citizens if raided by the AI.It could represent the towns folks getting together to see off small raiding parties.

Anyway just thought id share my idea and see what people though

Lias
    British by birth,
    English by the grace of God.

Default Re: firelock musket citizens in villages idea!

Slots getting armed citizenry would indeed be nice.

That said, check the stats on firelock armed citizens, they're very close to militia I just never changed the model.

Hey seems like a good idea to me. It seems to me that people formed militias more then just a group of mindless rabble.
    Some people were born to be great. Others...not so much...

-= ME!=-

Lias_solano's Avatar Semisalis

Perhaps Something as simple as replacing the model for the citizens and renaming them city regiments or something would be fine for me.I just dont like the fact that armed citizens are defending huge established cities from attack.

Lias
    British by birth,
    English by the grace of God.

is it possible to make militia spawn outside the capital? like rebels but earlier.

I think this is a great idea simply because I hate the way armed citizens look. Just changing their skins and maybe their name would be great. I think their stats are fine the way they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Lias_solano View Post
    I also thought that it would be cool if the minor towns/villages in the province should spawn armed citizens if raided by the AI.It could represent the towns folks getting together to see off small raiding parties.
    I've thought about this myself. But the question is, would the AI be smart enough not to sent one unit of line infantry on a raiding mission if the village is going to spawn enough unit to win easily? Then the other question is, how many units should they spawn?

I think we should get to choose if we want to spawn the armed citizens (at least in a absolute monarchy)
    If we choose to spawn them, the lower classes should get unhappy or we should lose some prestige for using our citizens in combat ..

IMO it would be kinda realistic because I don't think the average peasant would have enjoyed being levied to defend a city his government should be defending ..
    You could also do this for the towns to have at least some resistance to the raiding parties

About the armed citizen model, maybe we should replace the armed citizens model with the militia model but I'd also see more variation on the militia model .. Something like different colours for their coats, more faces, etc ..

It would be great to see all these changes in the game !

If it's possible to add citizenry to farms, plantations etc. I think changing armed citizens skins in region capitals to militia skins and leaving the citizens skins for farms would be great.

Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by django333 View Post
    If it's possible to add citizenry to farms, plantations etc. I think changing armed citizens skins in region capitals to militia skins and leaving the citizens skins for farms would be great.

At first I kindof like the idea but the more it's talked about and the more intricate it gets it seems to me that you should just have reserve units in place of the desired type to begin with. Lower upkeep on militia,conscript and provincal or something to account.
    The scribes on all the people shove
    And bawl allegiance to the state,
    But they who love the greater love
    Lay down their life; they do not hate

Quote Originally Posted by uos_spo6 View Post
    At first I kindof like the idea but the more it's talked about and the more intricate it gets it seems to me that you should just have reserve units in place of the desired type to begin with. Lower upkeep on militia,conscript and provincal or something to account.
    would AI keep reserves in farms and etc? i doubt.

Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Mouth Of Sauron View Post
    would AI keep reserves in farms and etc? i doubt.
    Guess I just mean to say its too much modding away from the basic physics of the game. All preference of course, not saying you wrong. I just think the AI recruits and positions adequately to account for this idea and players should have those blocks already in place not get the freebie spawn.

Diversifying the citizen mob in settlements I am in favor of, giving them irregular capabilities and whatever else just not mini armies spawning on attack.
    The scribes on all the people shove
    And bawl allegiance to the state,
    But they who love the greater love
    Lay down their life; they do not hate

Just to clarify - I'm 99% sure that the spawning that occurs in cities when their sieged is controlled by the .exe

That means that we can't edit it, or change it so that units spawn in slots.