Thread: Phalangites

Default Phalangites

Ok, I am just having to reload my game everytime it CTD since it never happens twice in a row, it's a pain though.

I have to fight against Pyrrhus's Phalanx units a lot and am having trouble, I usually put one unit in front, usually a tough one likes Principes ot Triarii to hold them in place then send another unit around to envelop them, the thing is they usually survive for about 10 minutes this way and unless I am using strong units then they all end up routing eventually, plus since it takes so long to beat them I can't fight armies that I don't outnumber 2 to 1 as even if I can seperate them and envelop them one at a time they take so long to die that one of the other slow moving phalanx units manages to get up behind one of my units and attacks them. If I try to move the unit out of the way that is aboutt o get enveloped they usually start routing as I am moving them, probably because they are concerned about their flanks and losing people or something.

So how do I beat these guys aside from using whatever I skirmishers I have left and then just enveloping them with 2 or 3 units and suffering heavy casualties?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Default Re: Phalangites

Wait until they split their armies.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

They didn't split up, but I have recently come to appreciate skirmishers, I now use my cavalry to lure th enemy cavalry near my infantry and then envelop them. I use my archers and cavalry to eliminate their archers and then skirmish around them, if I think I can win after that (either the enemy split up to chase me around or they lost enough troops) then I move in with my infantry, otherwise I retreat so that I can attack again enxt turn with my ammunition replenished and give them more of the same

This surely has been said several times, but the most important thing, while fighting a phalanx unit, is to let them attack you and keep your units in guard mod. Charging into phalanx is quite a suicide, especially playing on H or VH battle difficulty - then they have rediculous addition of morale and attack bonus. And since phalanx based units are superior to your core roman troops in numbers, if you put your heavy infantry into tight square formation, the phalanx unit will automaticaly envelope yours and lose their formation, wich makes them more vulnerable for attacks from behind.

I havenīt played PE for quite a while ( prefering ExRM ), but iirc the macedonian phalanx has almoust none charge bonus, but a high attack/defence value, while greek phalanx is definetly stronger while charging, but the values are more or less the same, summa sumarum.