Thread: I think I know why there is CTD

Default I think I know why there is CTD

This has happened to me several times on the same campaign now and i think i the reason is with the generals. (Maybe selected generals as I havent the courage to try all cos of all the CTD). but i notice everytime i placed them in the city, or dock them in the ships or reassign the heir, i get CTD as soon as i click on the next turn.

Note: as i said only some of the general have this problem as i havent tried all since i have like 30 generals. and it doesnt happen when i camp them in the fort. it also doesnt happen to my ruler which i always placed them in rome once they are the new leader.

With this issue it also means I cannot promote them to legate once they served 10 years and/or cant upgrade their armours and weapons since i fear for placing any of them in the city anymore.

if u guys need screenies on the generals i am referring to, i will do so.

EDIT: can someone show me how to do the show-err command and where to place it. I will be glad enough to find what the error is and post it here to you all that wants to see it.
    Last edited by masterhe; May 11, 2009 at 01:15 AM.

Default Re: I think I know why there is CTD

Ok, I just had another CTD, and i figure out what happened.

I am at war with the Carthage and I had full stack of army stationed at a bridge near Utica hoping they would attack me there in the next turn. But once I click on next turn the game would CTD.
    HOWEVER!! If I attack them first (with the same army) and using auto resolve of course as I want to speed things up. I was able to successfully make it to the next turn.

I post a copy of screens to show you guys the general's trait as I read somewhere before it could be their traits causing it.

Note: Servius has a long trait so I made 2 pages.

thanks

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by masterhe View Post
    EDIT: can someone show me how to do the show-err command and where to place it. I will be glad enough to find what the error is and post it here to you all that wants to see it.
    Do you have a shortcut on your desktop that you click on to play the game?

yes i do, i have the imperator II shortcut.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found out how to do the show_err now, I'll do that tonite.

Another thing just after post my last message last nite, i tried the game again at save point before the CTD. this time i moved Servius to another open spot instead of initiating an attack, and quite surprisingly i didnt get a CTD.

So from this experience, i believe there is something to do with the trait and/or ancillary and especially the promoting tool such as legate, consul, praetor and etc.
    Last edited by masterhe; May 11, 2009 at 08:12 PM.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Right click on the shortcut, and look at its properties. One of the fields is called Target. At the end of that field, add the following.

Code:
     -show_err
    Remember to include the space at the start. There are other things you can add, such as -ne (run in windowed mode), -nm (no movie at the start) and others, but remember to separate each one with a space.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

I have always suspected that the CTD's that's happening with RTRPE (not just Imperator) are related to traits. The CTD is less constant in RTR 6 Gold so there's porbably some incompatibality or an error when RTR 6 Gold was ported to RTW 1.5 engine.

When we ported the mod years ago we didn't actually touch the trait files (AFAIK) so there might be an issued with that. However, unless someone is willing to scrutinize back the trait files I guess this issue will always plaguing RTRPE and all mods related to it like Imperator.

By changing the movement some 'broken' traits might not happen and that why it doesn't CTD usually when movements were changed. The things is for mostly traits related CTD there's no error message so up until now it's just guessing in our part.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Hi LesTaT, thanks for your reply. I also have RTRPE installed in another Rome folder and played this before I recently play Imperator II. I can confirm there is no CTD with RTRPE, I got up to marian reform and got bored of it with my uber legions.

I find the CTD in Imperator II very predictable now, basically I cant put my generals to city, ship, idol for over 1 turn (standing around on the map) or make someone a heir.

The only way to avoid it is to make sure they in camp, or run out of movement in campaign map, seiging a city. I really like this mod for the AI and also the different legions I can recruit. So I guess I can still tolerate this CTD for now. Only problem is I need to pay 500 denari for a camp everytime I decide to take my army for a long walk to attack another city and some are very far apart which takes like 3-4 turns to get there like africa!!

One more thing! I do remember playing this mod a couple years back and I cant record having CTD problem, it maybe an earlier version all together, but I dont remember anymore.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

The CTD is RTRPE is less now because of the elimination of revolt CTD bug but there are times that unknown error CTD happened especially late in the campaign.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

hey i have a ctd when i go to legionary battles an theres no faction in one of the slots and when the cursor goes over it it crashes. any fixes or suggestions?
    Dont take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway