Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soviet maginot line?

Default Soviet maginot line?

Is it possible to create a soviet line of forts as the soviets in HoI 2 before the germans push trough? It sure would be motivating to have a uncrushable line to fall back on...

I don't bother playing a game long enough too find out, and was wondering if any of you are able to calculate the answer in your minds?

Default Re: Soviet maginot line?

People use a river line to stop the Germans

oh... that helps too

The Soviet front is huge. All the IC spent on forts could otherwise have gone towards more troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Norge View Post
    The Soviet front is huge. All the IC spent on forts could otherwise have gone towards more troops.
    how about first creating enough troops to defend and then build forts? or a mix...

wait, am i being silly now?

I've done this, but I've never bothered to play the game long enough to actually use the line. I wouldn't have any offensive capabilities to strike the Germans back to Germany anyways.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

creating a maginot line is usually used with nations that have small borders with others. (Example: Italy, Turkey, ect)

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

It can work but you'll end up with Germans dug in on the opposite side of the line and a nearly unwinnable position. Even more so if you augment the line with rivers, because then YOU get a penalty for attacking them.

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    It can work but you'll end up with Germans dug in on the opposite side of the line and a nearly unwinnable position. Even more so if you augment the line with rivers, because then YOU get a penalty for attacking them.
    but i play with mod, so if i hold out long enough d-day will happen... and if Germany removes its troops to deal with that i can steamroll them...

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by 0N3 View Post
    but i play with mod, so if i hold out long enough d-day will happen... and if Germany removes its troops to deal with that i can steamroll them...
    It would never; I only saw three times of DDay in my 30 games.

Pray Germany would not declare war on you (if Spain is Republican) and let you build an army of 300 divisions.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    It would never; I only saw three times of DDay in my 30 games.

Pray Germany would not declare war on you (if Spain is Republican) and let you build an army of 300 divisions.
    I assume you played vanilla? or which mod did you play? D-day does happpen in this mod as they have improved the AI hugely

What mod?

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

I'm thinking DAIM...

It would work, but it's pretty gamey...

Quote Originally Posted by Alakasam View Post
    I'm thinking DAIM...

It would work, but it's pretty gamey...
    What, being SU isn't gamey? Being USA isn't gamey? Let's face it, you can't lose with those two if you have a bit of experience.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Oh you haven't played DAIM, have you?

I'm gonna coin another phrase today (That makes two) and say Cumulative Gamey-ness

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by 0N3 View Post
    I assume you played vanilla? or which mod did you play? D-day does happpen in this mod as they have improved the AI hugely
    I play vanilla (actually, ARMA).

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    I play vanilla (actually, ARMA).
    well, i advise you to download a mod...

I D/L that mod and started playing as germany and its very fun so far. Its 1939 so I invade poland soon and that will be the first time I try some combat in this game. The events are nice and regular world news is good as well.

Does making serials of factorys get gearing bonuses? In game they stay at 0 but rocket sites/railroads get them.

Alkarin's Avatar Praepositus

ive made a maginot line in my germany games on the eastern front and have also made one with the SU. The problem is i never end up using it because i tend to win the war....So in the end its a bit of a waste of resources...although i have never played that mod so i dont know how hard the combat is. so if you do make a maginot line make sure to plan it out first. try to get the rivers to your advantage and set it up to where you can easily counter attack from the line.
    You look great today.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast