Thread: Customizing a rig

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

Hey,

I just got an old computer. It is pretty reliable but I want to make it a gaming monster :grin . I have decent sound card, but I want to upgrade the CPU, memmory (to 1 Gig or 512), the Graphics Card and perhaps the Motherboard. How much do you think that all of this will cost? (I'm looking to play games like Far Cry and such.)
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Everything you want to know is at Pricewatch

What kind of "new" computer did you get?

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Pra's Avatar Sir Lucious Left Foot

What kind of "new" computer did you get?
    well its an old computer; I probably will only keep the motherboard, the case and the peripherals like the mouse and keyboards. I went to newegg and found some reasonable deals which all amount to $ 520 or so. Now all I need is a job. :lol
    Under patronage of Emperor Dimitricus Patron of vikrant1986, ErikinWest, VOP2288

Anagennese, the Rise of the Black Hand

MacMillan doesn't compensate for variable humidity,wind speed and direction or the coriolis effect. Mother nature compensates for where Macmillan's crosshairs are.

if its an old comp you prolly have to upgrade the MOBO as well. what brand is it?

Be careful if your old motherboard will support your new hardware. Currently, I have a so-so motherboard that doesn't fully take advantage of my motherboard, so my computer's power is a bit stifled. Best of luck finding gaming greatness on a limited budget.

I want to upgrade the CPU, memmory (to 1 Gig or 512), the Graphics Card and perhaps the Motherboard
    *lol*
    So basically you want a completely new computer, not an upgrade (i.e. 'upgrading' it by replacing every single part that matters).

My advice would be to go to the Mesh website, and customise the SLI rig. I'm looking at an AMD 3500+, with 1gig ram, and dual 6800gt graphics cards etc for around £1100. That's good value. Just add a monitor (which you may already have) and your away!

Depending on how old your Motherboard is you will probaly be better building from scratch and salvaging a few bits and pieces from the old computer, or Id just sell the old computer and put the money towards a new one.....old hardware and new hardware dont mix too well, why take the chance???