Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: who is the most important person in history?

Who do you think is the most important person in history?

I think Newton is the most important person, by the fact that he completely reshaped western thought as we know it. gone were the school of thought that just said "memorize this and don't ask questions", instead people started to ask questions about old thoughts, all of them. and the most important test is whether it actually works, instead of whether the bible said so. this sent humanity on a whole new path into the industial revlution, and the world as we know it?

Hamelkart's Avatar Senator

I'd say Adolf Hitler.
    He proved that human race is never meant to be civilized nor it should be remembered in the history of our galaxy and the universe.
    PADAJ SILO I NEPRAVDO!

Originally posted by Hamelkart@May 21 2005, 11:54 AM
    I'd say Adolf Hitler.
    He proved that human race is never meant to be civilized nor it should be remembered in the history of our galaxy and the universe.
    Hitler is but a particulary famous person out of the millions of ignormuses that thought that he and his people was naturally superior to others and attempted to use military force to enforce their superemacy. Even people like Alexander had the same sort of complex. Hitler is just infamous because he was one of the few to carry out his campaign to such scale.

I think the most important person was Hannibal.

He started the Second Punic War that led to the destruction of Carthage and the rise of the Roman empire. The rise of the Romans lead to a spreading of latin/greek culture throughout the meditarrainian and the formation of western culture. Western culture will then keep on influencing most of the world either for good or bad.

I Believe people need to be more specific when asking such questions.

Someone that was important in one nation's history might have been negligable in another's.

If you people mean someone who shaped our world today, then nearly everyone whose name has been remembered has contributed in some way or another.

Just a little comment.

Hannibal89

Well I should probably pick someone from a long ago because if you did something great back then it would change so much of history. What if Hannibal had destroyed rome?

"Modern" person maybe? Perhaps Darwin but I dunno...

If he exisited, it have to go for jesus or maybe mohamed.

He started the Second Punic War that led to the destruction of Carthage and the rise of the Roman empire. The rise of the Romans lead to a spreading of latin/greek culture throughout the meditarrainian and the formation of western culture. Western culture will then keep on influencing most of the world either for good or bad.
    I disagree - the world would have almost being the same if Hannibal have never set out from spain. For all of his intergence, he failed to actually get anything done. rome is still standing when he is dead; the romans are still the most powerful nation in western europe/north africa.

Lee
    I disagree - the world would have almost being the same if Hannibal have never set out from spain. For all of his intergence, he failed to actually get anything done. rome is still standing when he is dead; the romans are still the most powerful nation in western europe/north africa.
    Nope, hannibal taught rome how to wage wars. He isnt called "the father of strategy" because he's pretty *wink*
    While we're not debating his strategical and tactical abilities, i know. He was an important figure in history.
    Again i repeat my statement, i think its wise

Someone that was important in one nation's history might have been negligable in another's.

If you people mean someone who shaped our world today, then nearly everyone whose name has been remembered has contributed in some way or another.

Just a little comment.

Hannibal89
    Hannibal89

Plato or Jesus. The world wouldn't be the same without them.

@lee1026: Newton was only a gear wheel in the process of Enlightenment.

Just a little comment.

Hannibal89
    but some have shaped the world more then others. some managed to reshape the world completely - like newton. others have merely caused a bit of ripples that quickly settled - like hannibal.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

tough question . especially since we don't have a clear definition of "important"
    For exemple :how can the influence of Jesus Christ on western Europe (and, through the European colonial empires, on the whole world ) be measured ? the whole idea of a so-called "judeo christian" society/civilization, the influence of the RC church in the fate of the late roman empire/middle-ages in Europe, the fact that the current president of the sole hyperpower names him as his favourite "philosopher" _and that, indeed, the figure of JC is rather fundamental to the very essence of the US, etc etc, all this may not be a direct consequence of his teachings and actions, but surely the world would have been very different if he hadn't existed.(who/whatever he really was ...)
    For science and the history of thought : Newton and Darwin have been mentioned here. how about the people who have first relegated the human being OUT of the center of the universe, Bruno, Copernic, Gallileo? (and other before them, but whose work did not have a lasting impact...) Newton has but described the mechanics of that, and Darwin's work can be seen as a continuation, relegating further the Human race from the rank of god's creation to the one of evolution's accidental result.
    For social recent history, how about Smith/Ricardo, on the one side, and Marx on the other? the opposition of their views has been the background of must of the history of the XXthe century ...
    tough question indeed .

For modern

Originally posted by lee1026@May 21 2005, 12:17 PM

You missed my point.

If Hannibal didnt start the Second Punic War, Rome would never have conquered Carthage and Macedonia. Thus no more massive rise of Roman power.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

hannibal89

Hahaha thats not true at all! Is columbus a great man just becuse his name is famos??
    Anyhow hmmm very thought question... greatest man ayy..
    I must say ME! :mellow
    Becuse i dont really know the true story about anyone, mayby alexander the great was a tyrrant but executed the one who wrote it ore hanniball mayby was corrupted and someone else was this goddes of strategy... Anyhow my point is that if you look into the history, i dont know whos the greatest human ever lived, the only human i KNOW of is me, HAHAHA *tongue*
    But if the history books are right written... then i think Rajajaja(ore what his name is he was an hindu king anyway) he did some great things i think, but he did fall for the persians=(
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

jesus

without him the world would be completely different,needless to say somewhat depressing

Habelo
    hannibal89

Hahaha thats not true at all! Is columbus a great man just becuse his name is famos??
    Anyhow hmmm very thought question... greatest man ayy..
    I must say ME!
    Becuse i dont really know the true story about anyone, mayby alexander the great was a tyrrant but executed the one who wrote it ore hanniball mayby was corrupted and someone else was this goddes of strategy... Anyhow my point is that if you look into the history, i dont know whos the greatest human ever lived, the only human i KNOW of is me, HAHAHA
    But if the history books are right written... then i think Rajajaja(ore what his name is he was an hindu king anyway) he did some great things i think, but he did fall for the persians=(
    1- Read my post

I think its true. Key word being nearly of course. Nearly Everyone whose name has been remembered has contributed in some way or another. How can you deny that?

2- Hannibal was corrupted? Hannibal was a "goddess" of strategy? You dont make much sense in the rest of the post

Hannibal89

but some have shaped the world more then others. some managed to reshape the world completely - like newton. others have merely caused a bit of ripples that quickly settled - like hannibal.
    Again it depends how you interpret it. Hannibal certainly did not cause a bit of ripples. Looking deep into the aftermath of the conflict shows his actions echoed into the centuries. Napoleon copying his tactics against the austrians (crossing the alps)

Of course this does not suggest he was the most important figure
    I still believe

1- We must specify in what field
    2- To whom?
    3- Then when you realise steps 1 and 2 are difficult. There can be no most important historical figure. Do you perceive the inventors of the alphabet as being important (the phoenicians)? Or perhaps you prefer those who made the first wheel (sumerians), maybe those who made the first calendar (babylonians), first coins (lydians in asia minor), first professional fighting force (assyrians)
    First long term empire (romans)

etc....

Hannibal89 off

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I could argue for hours that Hannibal's mother was the most important person in the world.
    Instead I will agree with the point of view of Habelo. Because of the absolute lack of definition in terms of area of importance, probably I am the most important person, since there is absolutely no way to prove to me that all this would be important for me without me.
    Me.

Iskender Bey's Avatar Civis

Hannibal left an incredible imprint on Rome. They were never again the ones who conquered by "defense". Hannibal made ROme paranoid for centuries and left South Italy in ruins. To this day South Italy is a place which is largely poor compared to the upper area.
    "Good God, there is nothing more infamous than a man that is vanquished; for he must on one side accept to endure the insolence and triumph of his enemies; and on the other the fearful countenence and wrath visage of his friends."
    -- Hamza Kastrioti. After his betrayal of Spano

2- To whom?
    to the avage modern person.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Jesus. So much has come of his life on earth.

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Garbarsardar
    Because of the absolute lack of definition in terms of area of importance..
    Damn it man, that was my arguement. Read my post.
    Except for the conclusion that you and habelo are the most important

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast