Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Screenshots, Videos, Signatures, AAR and stories

Default Re: AARs and Stories

I offer Gdansk back to the Prussians for peace, trade and an alliance, and they agree. It is an almost bloodless war for both of us.
    Thi is actually something I like about ETW, regions are actually good in trades and it's usefull to just grab a region and sell it back for peace and some tech.

This was an area that was sorely missing from Civ where the AI abolutely refused to trade or even accept cities unless they were gifts you gave them on their own while in previous TW games it was less trouble and more effective to just conquer and hold land and not give it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastro View Post
    Thi is actually something I like about ETW, regions are actually good in trades and it's usefull to just grab a region and sell it back for peace and some tech.

This was an area that was sorely missing from Civ where the AI abolutely refused to trade or even accept cities unless they were gifts you gave them on their own while in previous TW games it was less trouble and more effective to just conquer and hold land and not give it back.
    Yeah, definitely. The added difficulty in holding a new region in ETW makes it even more worthwhile. I actually also did this quite a bit in the Stainless Steel mod for MTW2. It's also a very historical tactic (where many wars wern't about national borders, but about overseas colonies, securing better trade agreements and so forth).

Check the spoiler for a screen shot. On the mini-map, you can see the extent of the Russian empire -- From Egypt and Persia in the south, to Karelia in the North. You can also see, in central Europe, the barrier states that I've allowed Poland and Prussia to keep. These insulate me from Austria, and I have been using the time to (as you can see) destroy the Turks.

Finally, there's also a nice shot of one of my Central armies, showing Prussian Infantry, Prussian Cuirassier, Polish Uhlans, Polish Infantry and Russian Infantry all fighting together for the glory of the Russian Empire.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by sage2; May 26, 2009 at 08:33 AM.

How peaceful has Sweden been?

In all my games they're (along with Spain which is always been a incessant war maker for every game I've played which continually costs them territories) they can never settle on peace unless I'm Britain or the Dutch.

Or when they do, they constantly make and break trade agreemnts one turn after they're made. I only agree to them because the renvenue they bring in always out matchs the amount of money they're asking to make the treaty.

It eventually came to the point where a raid to take Norway from them turned into a full on conquest when they decided to move their whole to attack my undefended Finland leaving Stockholm with only half of a proper army defending it.

I stayed quiet for 2 turns to let them get far enough away from Stockholm that they couldn't relieve it quickly, then rushed and took it crushing the damn trouble makers ocne and for all.

One funny thing with the Prussians in my game was that Brandenburg became one of my most loyal regions. I chalk it up to them thanking me for saving them from the Polish boot after they'd rebelled from PL.

I'd extorted a bunch of tech from Spain after taking Mexico and threatening Meso-America which saddled me with a large wave of Luddite protesting. I only took the tech because they didn't list any unhappiness due to industrializtion on their description and only thought that would come from actually building the buildings they'd allow me to build.

Because of this everyone rose in protest from the Balkans, to Scandanavia, to my American possessions to Russia proper. The only lands that didn't were Austria and Brandenburg which remained nice and happy green throughout it all.

The thing about Prussia was the fact that my Western/Central European armies were almost entirely made up of Prussians: the line infantry, the cavalry, the artillery, the Grenadiers (even the standard ones were raising in Berlin).

This and that the fact that both regions gave me a universities each which allowed me to play catch up with research brought a smile to my face given how Russia was basically run by Germans historically anyway.
    Last edited by Beastro; May 26, 2009 at 07:39 AM.

I've noticed that about Sweden. I remember it from Vanilla as well. I don't know what it is about them, but they make very odd decisions. I think the land masses confuse them.

Summer, 1769

Ten years of relative peace in Central Europe, enforced by two massive Imperial armies in Russia and Poland, has finally come to an end. The Austrians, threatened by sudden appearance of a Russian army in Anatolia and the destruction of their long time, but ineffective Turkish enemy, declare war.

The past ten years have not been entirely peaceful. But Central Europe, devastated by 40 years of warfare between Prussia, Poland and Austria, seems thankful for the peace that we have enforced. Speaking Russian, and conversion to the Orthodox faith is a small price to pay for the chance to avoid the depredations of famine, sword and fire. True, Savoy and Genoa have engaged in a knife fight in Northern Italy, but Europe is quiet. In the North, the Swedes send a moderate army accross the straits to St. Petersburg. They are met with an equal sized army of Poles, Russians and Prussians. The battle is extraordinarily bloody -- both armies are devastated by the carnage, but the Swedes, far from their supply lines are forced to reteat, and do not attempt another crossing.

In the South, Persia succumbs to the Marathas. It was innevitable. The Marathas, though they won't agree to peace, seem content with their domination of the south-Asian sub-continent. Still, I am forced to keep a good sized Army in Persia.

My ad-hoc army defeats the Turks in Georgia, though my inexperienced and ill-trained soldiers suffer heavily. The soldiers quickly recapture Armenia as well, and turn eastword against Anatolia.

I turn my Baghdad garrison against the Turks, and capture Damascus. Jerusalem soon follows. My army, some what weakened, is intercepted on the Nile delta as they march against the last bastion of the Turks. While the Jannisaries prove dangerous foes, the Turks are defeated again, the backbone of their resistance crushed.

To the North, the nearly unprotected Anatolia is captured by the ad-hoc army originally raised to recapture Georgia and Armenia from the Turks. A rebelion is quickly and almost bloodlessly crushed; there are no suriving rebels, and less than a dozen brave Russian falls.

The capture of Egypt in innevitable, and many antiquities are sent back to Moscow for display. The Turks are no more.

Ivan VI, Tsar of Russia, Bey of Anatolia, Sultan of Persia, King of Jerusalem and Syria, Prime Minister for Life of Poland, Elector of Prussia, and True Emperor of the New Rome, succumbs to bad oysters in the year of our lord, 1767, and Tsarina Anna nows rules over the immense lands.

Default Re: Fan Art, Sigs, Photos etc...

Some funny ones I like to call "Christmas in the Caribbean or Is Mount Pelee Acting Up Again?".

(It's in French Guyana, or rather Russian Guyana now that I own it).

Last edited by Beastro; May 26, 2009 at 11:16 PM.

Winter, 1773

Stories will be told for many, many years of Ivan Rusayalev, gentleman of the pistol. When the Russian armies captured Austria, and burnt the great school to the ground, he was swarmed by a mob of angry Austrian gentlemen -- each offering to fight him for some offense or other. Over a single season, he survived the first four duels, even killing two of his challengers, only to be slain by his own mis-firing pistol on the fifth duel. Still, it was a remarkable performance.

The war with Sweden grinds perpetually on. The Russian Navy muster 6 ship-of-the-line, 54 guns each, and sails against the Swedes. The Swedes sail out to meet our fine Navy, and the battle ends as a distinct Swedeish victory: while the Swedes have lost several frigates, their 74 and 90 gun ships-of-the-line are damage but still servicable. We have lost 3 of the 6 ships that sailed out. Not the beginning of the naval adventures we had hoped for. However, improvements to the shipyards, funded by more successful adventures in Egypt and Persia, are sure to yeild larger, stronger ships.

Our northern defensive army -- limited in size, but composed of hearty Prussian, Polish and Russian volunteers marches north to capture Finland. The Swedish general muster his troops and meets the army a few miles east of the city. The battle, though small, is extraordinarily bloody. On both sides, the stalwart soldiers are cut down like wheat under a summer hailstorm. By the end of the battle, the Swedish army that holds the field does so with no more than a few diminished regiments. The Russian general, Uijinov, defender of Moscow some many decades before, lies broken on the field. For such a small Northern country, the Swedes have proven remarkably unwilling to submit to their innevitable rulers.

Still, in Central Europe, our armies reign Triumphant. The Austrians declare war against Russian. Truly fool-hearty, but perhaps they are lulled by twin northern defeats. Their allies, the Saxons, make the mistake of joining their illegal and injust declaration.

Their punishment is swift and sure. Of the two central Armies, one marches directly accross our Prussian allies and strikes against Saxony. The Saxons are fighting a war of the last century and march out with pikemen interspersed with muskets -- a new tercio. Still -- those same pikes prove far more effective than one would expect, and while they suffer heavily as they march to contact, the battle is a far closer thought thing then we would ever imagine. By the end of the battle, the brave Russian, Polish and Prussian soldiers that make up our line are out of ammo. Two units of Prussian Cuirassier have been destroyed, and our artillery has suffered heavily. Many of our regiements of foot have withdrawn; even the Russian general has 'remembered an appointment to the rear'. But, at the end of the day, we hold the field.

The Austrians don't fight nearly so well and are utterly crushed at the gates of Vienna and Constantinople, and immediately agree to peace terms. The nature of their sudden defeat becomes obvious as the Russian spies travel further inward: their two largest armies, outside of the two guarding Austria and Rumelia, are in Greece and far from being able to render aid, having just defeated the Venetians.

Still, as poor as the Austrians proved on the field of battle, their resistance proves stalwart, and we are forced to destroy the university at Graz, and burn the library to the ground. Still, we plan an attraction for the common people on the spot, gardens commemorating the glorious sunrise from the east: Russia, come to unite the unfortunates of these lands. It's sure to be very popular, although probably not with the Austrian prisoners of war that will be digging the ditches.

The Russian conquests have provided the empire with a very significant income -- including trade, almost 30,000 pounds of silver a year. It's enough to fund major armies in every theater, and planning has begun for a proper navy, to break the Swedish stranglehold on the Baltic.

The Swedes, however, have other plans, and take Karelia. In itself, only a minor hiccup in our plans. But the loss of a province, following slow close on the heels of two lost battles, overshadows the victories in the west. Suddenly, the poor are on the streets of Moscow, rioting against the Tsarina: they are mollified in the miserable lives by stories of distant victories, of their straight-backed Leib Guard marching accross the enemy dead. Defeats make them uncertain, unhappy, and unsatisfied. Other provinces also show unrest. Taxes are cut, and the Imperial yearly income plummets. No ships are being built in the new Baltic shipyards, and the treasurey minister mentions that the current ships are perhaps an unnecessary and unaffordable expense: after all, can't you just... walk to Sweden?

Winter, 1775
    Suddenly, the immensely competent, and much loved minister of justice dies. It cannot possibly come at a worse time. Almost every province threaten revolt. The government is force to cut taxes drastically. There is talk of 'revolution', and recalling the armies -- if they will even come, as their pay will soon be in arears.
    Last edited by sage2; May 28, 2009 at 01:21 PM.

Well, I made this movie, with TRoM as only mod active, don't know if its really supposed to be posted here, but I find it pretty cool and like sharing it with people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0TMO...e=channel_page

btw, sage2, awesome mod

It doesn't really show off the visual changes made by this mod, but whatever

The song is Cliffs of Gallipoli (a campaign during WW1) which I found fits perfectly with ETW
    My latest Empire music vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo_9grdplZc

Quote Originally Posted by Hakello View Post
    Well, I made this movie, with TRoM as only mod active, don't know if its really supposed to be posted here, but I find it pretty cool and like sharing it with people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0TMO...e=channel_page

btw, sage2, awesome mod

It doesn't really show off the visual changes made by this mod, but whatever

The song is Cliffs of Gallipoli (a campaign during WW1) which I found fits perfectly with ETW

Hey, that's awesome -- thanks for for sharing. Tomsin introduced me to Sabaton recently -- I'd never even heard of them. I think I might have to buy a CD or two when I get home.

tomsin's Avatar Miles

Tomsin introduced me to Sabaton recently -- I'd never even heard of them. I think I might have to buy a CD or two when I get home.
    They have a 2008 CD The Art of War with all songs about lest known battles like that of Kursk'1942 or some Polish battle'1939. I even enjoy the Ghost Division song about Erwin Rommel's 7th Panzer division in 1939 - the song is great and I like to think that in the end Allies crushed even such elite units

"When desperately wounded, the Russian soldier would drag himself eastward simply to die a few yards nearer his homeland." (- Haythornthwaite - "Russian Army" Part I)

Yeah, I made a movie about that song at first, to show off my prussian campaign, but compared to my second movie its kinda crap

I like most of his songs, I think I discovered him by some random browsing on youtube when I was bored

If you guys want a movie, maybe a trailer or something for your mod, I wouldn't mind making one
    My latest Empire music vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo_9grdplZc

Quote Originally Posted by Hakello View Post
    Yeah, I made a movie about that song at first, to show off my prussian campaign, but compared to my second movie its kinda crap

I like most of his songs, I think I discovered him by some random browsing on youtube when I was bored

If you guys want a movie, maybe a trailer or something for your mod, I wouldn't mind making one
    Absolutely -- that would be awesome. I think it would be really cool if you could show off some of the custom units, such as the different type of foot regiments all fighting together.

In a way it is a pity you are so good at helping everyone with their problems because that means you have less time to write up the fate of the Russian juggernaut. Not that I don't appreciate your assistance with minor problems though!

Summer, 1780
    The financial crisis of 1775 has been dealt with. The Naval minister, estatic to finally have a fleet - even a beaten one -- is relegated to playing 'sail boats' in the bathtub, again, when the three remaining ships are converted to prison hulks in drastic cost-cutting measures. What Russia needs is a victory to restore the confidence of the people. A victory...
    The perfidious, leider-hosen wearing, pretzel-eating Bavarians have been spreading rumors about the Tsarina Anna: that she has a mistress, that she is perhaps no queen at all! The Bavarians, have two very large armies protecting their capital, and are separated from core of the Russian might by Poland and Prussia. However, with the recent 'island' of Russian occupation at the edge of Western europe -- Austria -- there is access to Bavaria.
    Portions of the army that conquered Egypt are sent by ship to Austria and then march to the Bavarian border. While the army isn't large, it is reinforced by two units of light cavalry: Polish Uhlans, and two regiment of the Imperial Leib Guard -- so far unbloodied in any battle.
    Another army marches accross friendly Prussian territory. The Bavarians will be punished. Russia declares war on Bavaria; Austria joins, but then is immediately convinced to retire peacefully with a small cash 'gift'. Bavaria faces the might of the empire alone. They claim that the war is unjust -- but hardly so! Russian properity has been provoked, threatened, in fact.
    The battle, when it is finally joined outside the Bavarian capital, is enormous. Two full Bavarian armies, fully modernized, strike against the Army marching out of Austria.
    The Russian Army forms on a small rise, the heavy artillery centered on the line. The Bavarians march forth, and fall like spring grass before a reapers scythe. Yet the Russians die too, cannon balls bouncing like mad bloody India-rubber balls through the ranks. And the Bavarian infantry fires quickly, and fights bravely. The Russian cavalry is squandered to destroy the Bavarian artillery that is taking such a toll on the Russian lines. The Bavarian line finally begins to waiver, and the Russian let forth a battle cry and charge forward. Yet, the Bavarian reinforcements, fresh regiments, are already marching into battle. The Leib Guard and the Grenadiers march forward to engage, and let the bloodied Russian infantry reform. When they return to the Russian Line, the regiments are no larger than strong companies, they have left so many brave dead on the field.
    Bodies carpet the killing ground in front of the line. All but one of the Russian artillery units has been destroyed in the vicious fighting. Finally, two units of heavy Cavalry: Carbineers and Prussian Cuirassier, enter the field from the right flank. A fresh Bavarian foot unit stands against them -- but is unable to form square in time. The two heavy cavalry regiments crash through the Bavarian line, routing and destroying it utterly. The remaining Bavarians begin to waiver, and one last time, the Russian regiments, now far smaller, march forward. Two units of light dragoons have engaged the heavy cavalry units, shooting men from their horses: but the horsemen smash into them, destroying the their cohesion and routing the dragoons, opening up the rear of the Bavarians to grave threat. They run, finally, leaving their wreckage strew accross the field. Their two armies are crushed, but a fine Russian army is only a ghost of its former self: it's Leib Guard shot to pieces, its grenadiers no more, and its general killed in the first wild melee. A few remainders hold out in the Bavarian capital, but there is no hope for them, and their fall is innevitable.
    The small Northern army in Ingria that faces the Swedes hase been reconstituted since its defeat on the road to Abbo. It now marches to retake Karelia from the Swedish occupiers. The Swedes do not appear concerned: the battle is a close fought thing, and in the end, the Swedes hold the field with a single half-strength regiment. Perhaps it is time to move a proper Russian army to the North. A 90 gun ship, the Tsarina Anna, is being built in Ingria. Perhaps it is time to finish the Swedes once and for all.

Laetus

I was originally going to post it here, but seeing as how it was so long, I decided it probably deserved it's own thread in the AAR section of the forums, so I've finally gotten around to posting the first chapter of my AAR called The Rise of the Prussian Empire. I'd love you guys to drop by and tell me what you think of it so far. The thread is here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=267797. So far as I can tell it's the first TROM AAR in that forum, so I hope I haven't brought your mod too much disgrace from my average-at-best performance

Thanks in advance.

Summer, 1785

Apparently, neither side wishes to risk it's navy: the Swedish fleet will not come out to meet the Russian Baltic fleet, nor is the Russian particularly keen to risk the fleet without a more decisive advantage. So, sailing west, he blockades the Swedish port south of Christiana. At least now the Russian minister of the Navy has something more to do with his time then play with toy boats in his bathtub; he's been strutting around court incesently. Oddly, the workaholic Minister of the Army is never seen -- he's always too busy looking for a better deal on supplies, making sure the right generals are appointed, and making random checks on muskets and gun powder headed to the fronts. Which brings up a key point: the excellent quality of the Russian ministers, and the ability to hire and fire them at will is a true advantage.

With the exception of a small army at Ingria, tasked to retake Karellia, the Russia armies are deep into Western Europe, garrisoning Austria, Bavaria and Saxony. They are in no position to march far to the eastward, into Finland, and then around the arch of Sweden. Nor, do we trust the superiority of our navy with two large Swedish fleets in the Baltic to contest a single Russian 90 gun, 2 74-gun and several galleys.

But there is a solution: march North and West through Danish territory. The Danes are only too happy to see us come, and their citizens line the streets of Copenhagen, cheering the passing Russian, Saxon, Prussian and Polish regiments; ragged Freikorps Jagers with their deadly rifles, the new model Russian light infantry, artillery, Cuirassier, Carbineers and Dragoons: it is the might of a true Imperial army.

The Danish citizens hold their collective breath, waiting for news of victory or defeat of the Russian army. Months later, the streams of wounded soldiers bring the news: bloody, blood battles fought in the pine forests and snow. The Swedes fight like lions, but three Swedish armies are destroyed utterly. They are defeats that the Swedes will not be able to recover from quickly. The blockade of trade has reduced their income, even as they find they must fund new forces. The Russian army moves cautiously towards Christiana: the Swedes are dangerous enemies, and who knows what they will try if their capital is threatened!

Meanwhile, the army in Ingria moves to invest Karellia. The Swedes use the opportunity to strike and storm the meager defense left in St. Petersberg. It is a surprising, and wholly unexpected move. The army lift the seign of Karellia, returns to Ingria, and beseiges the Swedes. Once they have eaten their oxen, the pack mules, the leather cartridge straps, and started on their boots, the Swedes decide to risk a battle. They sally forth, and the battle is short, sharp and very bloody for the Swedes: they rout, are hunted down like dogs, and Ingria is again Russian soil, and the army returns to Karellia, again.

In the South, Baluchistan is taken from the Marathans. It, and the independent Punjabis, provide a nice buffer against the Marathan might. The Marathans have proven to be anything but dangerous: their massive empire is torn by disent and sectarian strife. There are very rich provinces that beckon, and the Russian general, drawn by the riches and scent of curry, marches eastward into India.

Quote Originally Posted by Sights View Post
    I was originally going to post it here, but seeing as how it was so long, I decided it probably deserved it's own thread in the AAR section of the forums, so I've finally gotten around to posting the first chapter of my AAR called The Rise of the Prussian Empire. I'd love you guys to drop by and tell me what you think of it so far. The thread is here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=267797. So far as I can tell it's the first TROM AAR in that forum, so I hope I haven't brought your mod too much disgrace from my average-at-best performance

Thanks in advance.
    What a great read. I really enjoy your style as well as taking the time to convey the background information. I recommend that folks go check this out!

Can't wait to see what happens with your war against Prussia!
    Last edited by sage2; June 09, 2009 at 12:26 PM.

Summer, 1791

The Russian army in Sweden, bruised from four massive and bloody victories against the Swedes, marches against Stockholm, and finds it defended by old men and boys, and a few units of horse and artillery. The Swedes marshal a relief force of grenadiers and heavy cavalary from Norway, but before it gains sufficient strength, the Russian general breaks the seige of Stockholm and strikes the relief force. Out numbered two to one, the Swedes put up a stiff resistance, but the much greater fire power of the Russian force tells quickly, and the Swedes break and run.

It's the end for the Swedes -- Stockhold falls a few years later, the Swedes unable to marshall the financial resources to raise another army with their capital beseiged, Finland fallen, and their trade routes blocked by the Russian fleet, capitulate. They have been Russian longest and most difficult enemy, but they will be no longer. They hold only Norway; the Swedish fleet has been scuttled due to lack of funding; their armies have been defeated at every turn by the brave Russian soldiers.

The Swedish resistance will no doubt be long, but their assimilation into Mother Russia is innevitable -- just as the Citizens of Persia, Egypt, Istanbul, Bavaria now call themselves 'Russians' so too will the Swedes -- even if every crossroads must be populated by the hanged corpses of their 'freedom fighters'. The terrible scourge of war must be avoided at any cost.

The peace with Sweden lasts only a year. The cursed bastards risk all one one last throw and march their defensive army out of Norway in a bid to retake Stockholm. The Russian army is victorious -- but suffers massive casualties. Five regiments of foot and a battery cease utterly to exist. The surviving regiments are gutted -- they will be filled with raw recruits. An untrue rumor starts that the General hid in an outhouse for the battle. His troops will likely not fight as well in the next battle. While Norway is now poorly defended, there's little possibility of the army garrisoning Stockholm to march out and attempt to take it -- the rebels would be sure to take the capital, and there are not sufficient troops for both duties.

In the far South, the Persian army, led by the brilliant young General Oblenksky, has marched in India. It bypassed Sindh, captures Gujarat and trades it back to the Marathas for the less valuable (but more defensible) Sindh and an alliance and trade. This last only 2 years -- The Marathas and Punjabis both declare against us and commence raiding.

General Oblensky defeats a medium sized Marathan army that has moved into the local port with few casualties (though the Colonial Dragoons suffered severe casualties while trying to break a Hindu Musketeer square. The two Gardi units also prove to be tough and disciplined, but are ultimately over come by superior musketry, and the combined fire of 4 artillery batteries. The general then splits his army, the infantry and artillery marching back to the provincial capital, while he strikes against mounted Punjabi raiders with the armies cavalry.

In the capital, the bulk of his army is attacked by a massive Marathan army. Leaderless, it manages to defend successfully, but suffers almost twice as many casualties. While rushing back to the capital to take command of his now weakened army, General Oblenksky is thrown from his horse and killed.

In Western Europe, Russia holds a scattering or provinces including Austria and Bavaria. These provinces are separated from the Russian empire as a whole by a thin line of Prussian and Polish provinces. Yet these weakened nations exist because we let them, and serve purpose of buffering the Empire from those who might theaten the peace. Two large garrison armies in Western europe help remind potential enemies that their destruction will be swift and sure.

Some might claim that Russia has imposed itself on these nations. Indeed, that is hard to argue -- none joined the Empire peacably. But their people are now happy. True, they speak Russian, and their mother tongues are mostly forgotten, true they have converted to the true Orthodox faith -- but they were not forced to do so. These provinces were once bloody battlefields for decades of warfare, and their forests are choked with the white bones of the unburied dead. Now they are at peace -- and it is a thriving and beneficial peace, where each man knows his place, from the serf to the lord. There is no talk of 'democracy' or 'the rights of man' in this Empire.

Perhaps Russia has not garnered the 'prestige' of the Western European nations, but it cannot be argued that Russia is true heir to Byzantium. Perhaps Rome should be the next addition to the Empire.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by sage2 View Post
    What a great read. I really enjoy your style as well as taking the time to convey the background information. I recommend that folks go check this out!

Can't wait to see what happens with your war against Prussia!
    Thanks for the reply, sage. I've just finished Chapter 2, and I'm about to post it, so as before, I'd ask everyone who sees this to take a look and tell me what you think, all constructive criticism is welcome!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast