Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: DarthMod players aged 30+ Club

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: DarthMod players aged 30+ Club

I'm 38!
    ... and i'm hardcore gamer and addict moder...

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

You can stick me in the pot as well at 41!!!! think i qualify!!
    "The Toon will rise again"

MoToM's Avatar Semisalis

I'm a bonafide child of Iron, born 1979, just as the Iron Lady came to power. Luckily for me my parents left the mainland for almost her entire term in office.

I'm ashamed to say I only just found this mod, I had semi shelved Empire and wasn't really paying attention to the mods. How silly I feel now.

The battles are truly brutal, proper line battles finally. Offensive or defensive, I don't care which, the battles always seem to have a central line(ish) contact zone with excellent skirmishes going on around the flanks. I love it.

Thank you Darth, great work.

P.S. I say line(ish) because its rarely a dead straight line but rather a long, sometimes doglegged line, looks so real it scary. I'm very taken with the smoke too. Allows a quick glance across the battlefield to tell you whether your various groups of men are in contact yet or not.

I may be old but I am extremely immature for 45. My first PC was a Commodore 128 that I used when I was on board my ship...played SST's Antietam, Gettysburg, and Shiloh a lot. Been a gamer since. I like the TW series, but it has always been Love/Hate relationship of really cool things and really aggravating things...which continues with ETW...WTF fort battles....so dumb that blood shoots out my eye.

Currently have an Alienware M17x laptop that rocks the game. Just saying...
    Glad to meet y'all.
    BDH

awesome comment darth your so right i was wondering wich mod i should install and its gonna be your

im born 04/79

Patriotism... is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.

CaptainAnthony's Avatar Civis

I've been playing strategy wargames since I was a teen back in the 70's. Of course, back then it was all boardgames. I guess what I want to eventually see is a company which develops a game combining a Paradox-like Diplomatic/Strategy AI and major world map with CA's Combat Arena for both land and naval battles.

Zaar's Avatar Semisalis

Summer of 1970, but not Fourty yet

My first experience to play in my home privat was with the amiga 500 and the first Games i really loved were Shogun TW... that really hits me and also stuff like those roundbased strategy.. i canīt remember the name right now

But lately i was really shocked.
    I went to a Party with a bunch of late 20 years old and guess what... even those barbiegirls (nice looking though ) were talking about games and online games ....

Guess we are not the minority anymore... years ago people gave you the look when they found out that you "waste" your time with computergames and today they braggin around how many games they have.... did i miss something?

And let me tell you, those "wastetimers" really saved my life! When i came back working as a Medic for NGO and the first weeks after that i came home and couldnīt talk about those experiences with people outside, i was gaming along until my mind couldnīt see those pictures anymore so i could finally sleep without any drugs etc. Of course you have to work out those probs after a while but until then... it really helped me out.

Well, like Paracelsus already said: The Dose makes the Poison (hopefully not wrong translated )

So, times changed and games becoming Popular like TV and the movies, so the big companies bring in the war for money and forget about loyal Friends and Community! But, like History already told a million times.... trends will fade !

So i am glad and must say, i never experienced a greater quality community and hope this will stay like this

Take care

Zaaroverandout

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Posted elsewhere on this site, but may be of special interest here:

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/p...-they-/1346074

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The average gamer is 35, overweight, and more likely to be depressed, says a new study conducted by researchers at the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.he study, which was carried out in the Seattle-Tacoma area, found that gamers reported "lower extraversion, consistent with research on adolescents that linked video-game playing to a sedentary lifestyle and overweight status, and to mental-health concerns."
    Last edited by Huberto; August 24, 2009 at 08:59 PM.

Take a "happy pill" and keep on gamin'! I think the depression is related to the disappointment that ETW wrought on us fans of the series! Ah, for the excitement of Shogun or Medieval I !!!

35 years old, with fond memories of the day I discovered RTW. A beautiful game that was enhanced by the fantastic mod community. A game that led me into the murky realms of program files and the magical abilities of notepad. Never again would I fear tinkering around under the hood.

A while back I saw the first screens for ETW and was amazed at how good the ships looked. My anticipation grew through the months as release day approached. Like many I preordered on Steam, and like many suffered for days on end as the download failed and failed again. Finally it came. It installed, and heavens above it ran pretty damn well on my laptop.

I teach in Bangkok and a month long holiday seemed about to be filled with the ultimare TW game. Alas, it was not to be, the game was a such a let down.

Maybe if I hadn't read the forums I might have missed some of the flaws, but I doubt it. I would certainly have missed the return of Darth Vader. A glimmer of hope, modders were setting to work, the packs were being opened, meddled with and repacked in curious ways. Vader had returned, with the message, trust the darkside.

With my enthusiasm for ETW at rock bottom the game was backed up and deleted, a wary eye kept on the mod section whilst I bathed in the glories of RTW mods once again. SPQR and RS purred away on my machine whilst Caesars' diaries occupied my mind, reminding me of my history studies at university many years before.

Now yet more holidays are fast approaching, ETW has been reinstalled, the 1.3 update is at 99%, Darthmod looks ready to go, and how I laughed when I saw nearly 100,000 downloads on the page. What a triumph.

Thanks to Darth Vader and all who have provided him with the feedback necessary to develop this mod.

I must admit it has been interesting reading these things. Quite a bit has transpired over the past 40 years. I recall playing D&D with my kids on an Apple IIE using floppies. (That's a word ,along with diskette, that will one day be equivalent to LP, Beta and 8 track.) Graphics have certainly progressed mightily. Computers have progressed amazingly since the 360.
    [Thoughts of ETW as well.]
    Last edited by trk; September 04, 2009 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAnthony View Post
    I've been playing strategy wargames since I was a teen back in the 70's. Of course, back then it was all boardgames. I guess what I want to eventually see is a company which develops a game combining a Paradox-like Diplomatic/Strategy AI and major world map with CA's Combat Arena for both land and naval battles.
    Did you ever mess with Avalon Hill?

Lord Darth-
    Somehow I had never noticed your statement - 'trk (Through his wisdom of age and gaming experience he will find hopefully a resting oasis in DarthMod)'
    And yes I have. I have thoroughly enjoyed your work and admittedly I am learning thru you. Darthmods are an oasis. (But truly please bring back the smoke.)
    And my thanks.

Civis

BORN IN 1946 SO IM OLDER THAN 30, LOL. GAMER ALL MY LIFE, BEFORE COMPUTERS. THESE MODS ARE A GREAT ADDITION TO THESE TOTAL WAR GAMES.

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

Quote Originally Posted by adambomb View Post
    BORN IN 1946 SO IM OLDER THAN 30, LOL. GAMER ALL MY LIFE, BEFORE COMPUTERS. THESE MODS ARE A GREAT ADDITION TO THESE TOTAL WAR GAMES.
    Damn! I'm not the old man of the club, anymore ...

Quote Originally Posted by trk View Post
    Lord Darth-
    Somehow I had never noticed your statement - 'trk (Through his wisdom of age and gaming experience he will find hopefully a resting oasis in DarthMod)'
    And yes I have. I have thoroughly enjoyed your work and admittedly I am learning thru you. Darthmods are an oasis. (But truly please bring back the smoke.)
    And my thanks.
    usually I do not reply but as a gesture of my thanks I write a small quote produced of the written words of the joiners, which usually i enjoy a lot to read (Nice to find people with the same thought in a specific sector).

eldardm's Avatar Laetus

I'm born in '78, 31 years old!
    My first "pc" was an Amiga 500 plus until Microsoft closed it.
    And then i passed to real PC.
    (Im new in this forum )

Parzival2211's Avatar Ducenarius

34 married and just become a father! Quite busy job-wise, I wish I had discovered TW 9 years ago, not just 6 months ago (found MTW on budget game shelf in a supermarket and then did some research on the net).

I've also gone through the typical gamer career - Atari 2000, C64, Amiga, PC - and I totally share your passion for historical realism and strategy games.

Biarchus

I'm 39, with limited gaming or pc knowledge. I didn't even own a pc until i saw Medieval Total War at a store and said "i've got to have this game!" I have always loved history,and have had to rely on just reading books to spark my inner child. Nowadays, not only do i still read books, but i get to throw myself into the past through the Total War series. I never was a "tavern" kind of guy. For me it was always sports. Unfortunately, i was injured at work in June 2008, which has required me to get surgery. I'll still be off for close to another year with physical therapy and all. So i have really had time to enjoy RTW, MTWII, and ETW(not so much,alot of ctd's) I've even succeeded in getting my wife to play a few times in multiplayer with ETW(i wasted $50 for a few times). Darthvader, you have compounded my enjoyment into the past with your mods(i have all of them). I thank you for all that you have done. I share your desire to know the facts. For me, these Total War games represent a temporary getaway from the many realities of physical pain, mounting bills, etc, and your mods have catapulted the enjoyment aspect of them. They allow me to participate in periods of time that i could have only dreamed of being in. I've told my wife a thousand times,as she's screaming at me to stop playing, i'm so glad they didn't have this kind of stuff when i was growing up(they might have,but i never knew), cause i would've never left the house. Please look on my request to be part of the 30+ club with favor. I am yours Lord Vader!

MoToM's Avatar Semisalis

Thats one hell of a group of 30+ gamers in the OP now, who knew so many of us 'oldies' played.
    I bet many of us have had these wife/girlfriend issues too. Damn things never seem to get it.