Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Campaign Are You Playing & Why

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Default Re: Which Campaign Are You Playing & Why

UPDATE: 364 Winter - deficit down to around 118,000 with each turn now making some 14,000 profit.

Britannia: Relatively quiet with the only sizeable raiding force of Picts/Scotti defeated in the low hills west of the Habrina river. The Comes has authorised a comitatus assembled from scratch units to cross the Limes into Caledonia and raid and burn the Pictish settlements in reprisals.

Gaul: The lower Rhine limes is secure as the Frankish tribes remain inactive and involved in desultory fighting with the Saxons further north. Two strong field armies remain stationed near Colonia Agrippina to deter possible Frankish hubris. The hinterland of Gaul is uneasy with bacaudae proving troublesome. Areani patrols report the surprising presence of two large Pictish warbands in the borders between the Saxons and the Franks but cannot determine whose allies they are.

Hispania: Constantly in revolt and with cities rebelling and then reverting. Very few professional troops in the penninsula with the result that it is proving difficult to bring the provinces back under Imperial control.

Africa: Similar to Hispania - religious factions are prompting revolts and spurring on bands of irregular troops to plunder the countryside. The lack of money to initate ambitious building porjects to appease these cities is proving a thorn here.

Italy and Greece: Generally quiet and manned only by poorly trained and hastily conscripted limitanei. The occasional band of marauding bandits is generally dealt with succesfully.

Illyricum and Dalmatia: A massive incursion by Quadi barbarians broke the limes and sacked Carnutum - the only sizeable Roman forces in the area remained discreetly at a distance and in a surprise move have arced behind the Quadi while they were pillaging the Roman city and have struck deep into barbarian territory. The Roman commander intends to ravage their hinterland and settlements in order to force the Quadi to abandon Carnutum and retreat back across the limes. It's a bold and dangerous move. The Iazyges have crossed the Danube and are devastating large swathes of territory - the main Roman units in the area have managed to destroy two main warbands but are now depleted and in need of manpower and resupply. Both of which sadly are not coming.

Asia: War with Persia has broken out on Shapur's initiative but little hard hostilities have emerged. A desultory raid by a large Persian force reached the walls of Carrhae but then retreated some months later as Roman forces in the area moved in to engage. Julian himself is now residing in the city and slowly pulling towards him the best of the Roman troops for a devastating onslaught the timing of which remains a mystery even to his close advisors. The Arabs and Saraceni to the south in the deserts remain quiet and myserious.

Aegypt: Some religous discontent but otherwise nothing deserving mention. Blemmye raiders remain deep in the deserts of the Thebaid but so far have not had the temerity to cross the limes into Roman lands.

In all Roman troops have succesfully invaded all the Alemanni homelands and sacked their settlements with the result that the barbarians have now been driven into wandering aimlessly through the barbaricum. A large Roman Comitatus is slowly engaging each warband as it locates it and massacering them all.

The ecomony is desperate but the green shoots of recovery, aided by the capture and sacking of the Allemanni towns, can be seen. Julian remains alert but dare not move against the Persians just yet. Time will prove his ally here . . .

EDIT: Pic is signature is of the current campaign - You can see the gold star of the Alemanni horde behind the Rhine limes.
    Last edited by SeniorBatavianHorse; June 27, 2009 at 12:04 AM.

-Traiano-'s Avatar Miles

Here's little feedback on my campaign (355;Julian):

359 AD, current debt -154000 but thanks to news scripts that Julianus provided for 355 campaign i'm getting out financial crisis with 7000/8000 more denarii per turn. Once i'll get the italian peninsula i think my economy will raise up!!

Britain: I'm doing a dangerous war against Gaelics, i invaded gaelics provinces with 2 armies and have been able to kill Angus, the gaelic's king, and take Inchuctill after a big assault on the city, now after 3 years of war my 2 stacks count 2800 men (they were 5000 in 356) and the new gaelic king is fighting hard for his people, i'm not able to win it with these forces so i sent 1 army comitatenses as reinforcement from Gaul, using that i'm planning the last attack on the last stronghold: Dal Raida!!

Gaul: I totally retook the old rhine limes, colonia agrippina is now mine again, Augusta Treverorum has been retaken after 9 months of Franks occupation. The franks forces lost about 75% of their men, remaining have repaired behind the limes and, for now, seem not to be able to cross the rhine again
    Alamanni were totally annhilated in their first invasion with Chnodomarius's 3 stacks, the king was killed by Julian's imperial army. But Alamanni seem to be very determinated, they attacked again in 357 using 2 stacks, again they have been destroyed by my Palatinae troops. Now in 359 they still are launching the third invasion using other 2 stacks, i let them get into my province to face them more divided. The state of my forces, well after 4 years of non stop battles also my forces lost many good soldiers and 2 good generals, Julian commands the gaul's comitatus that is now composed from 3 good Auxilia Palatinae/Palatinae stacks plus 1 stacks of several lights reinforcement troops.
    Last but not least, Aureliani is revolting and rebels took control of the province, i got a hole in the middle of gaul map!! Julian immediately sent several troops leaded by a good administrator to restore imperial order, rebels will be punished!!

Italy: Incredible but true, Constans II attacked Mediolanum in 358, with little forces, his Illiryian provinces are under attack from Quady/Lazigees/Gots, he lost Sirmium,Serdica,Marcianopolis but he had the good thought of attacking me!!! I immediately sent 1 stack comitatenses troops from Gaul's comitatus plus an half stack of light reinforcements troops and easily beaten the first little Constans army, but more soldiers are coming to face me...so i decided to march on Verona and take the entire peninsula, palace voices said that italian governors are just waiting for Julian's troops to leave Constans dominate!!

Iberia: The peninsula is, for now, quite loyal, onli a couple city got the "blue face" but the little iberian comitatus is going across the iberia to keep imperial order safe fighting brigands little bands.

Africa: Africa was totally revolting, in 356 i moved the capital from Lutetia to Lugdunum and that helped me a lot in keeping loyal the Mauretanian provinces, then i sent some soldiers from iberia and leaved limes forts with onli 1 unit, others all in the cities, berbers seem not to be aggressive.

The religion is also going well, Britannia/Gaul/north Italy/north-middle Iberia are totally pagans with the exception of Lutetia that is still christian while south Iberia and North africa are totally christian.

This mod is just beautifull i'm having lots of fun in playing it!! In this new version i had onli 2 crashes in 14 turns, both non repeteable.
    30BC: Ottaviano Augusto becomes the first Imperator, in his 44 years of principate he will bring to the empire peace and prosperity!
    70AD: Vespasiano is the winner of first great empire's civil war,rebuilding Roman world after the Nero's dark ages.
    98AD: Traiano becomes imperator after that the senateman Nerva adopted him,he will start a gold age for the empire getting it to biggest extension!! 117AD-180AD Adriano,Antonino Pio and Marco Aurelio administrate the empire during his richest and most pacific period, with their good administration Rome lives its golden age.
    193AD: Settimio Severo wins the civil war started after the death of Commodo starting the Severan dinasty, his heirs will not be as good as him. 252-285AD Rome lives the peak of III century's crisis,onli the emperor Aureliano will be able to reunite the empire breacked in 3 parts and the great reformer Diocleziano will give to Rome militar,politic and social cohesion after decades of caos. 325AD:Costantino rules alone over the empire and christianity is for the first time accepted by the imperial government.

That's a nice overview, Traiano! I haven't tried the 355 Julian campaign yet as I wanted to try out the whole Empire first - masochist that I am. No CTDs since the latest update and the map.rwm fix re North Africa - all looking good!

SBH its good to see someone showing how their going through the 361 campaign. you should make an aar out of this or at least give us constant updates.

The AAR would be nice but time is really pressing at the moment. I will update as I am keen to see how this plays out and am having such fun playing it at the moment!

-Traiano-'s Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    That's a nice overview, Traiano! I haven't tried the 355 Julian campaign yet as I wanted to try out the whole Empire first - masochist that I am. No CTDs since the latest update and the map.rwm fix re North Africa - all looking good!
    I wanted that too, onli problem was that after 3 turns i got lots of repeatable CTD and after days passed trying every thing possible to save that 361 campaign i have surrendered and leaved the campaign.

Then i installed all the newest features and started the 355 campaign that, reading players feedback, worked at best!!!

Also i wanted to try the new Julianus's scripts that work onli for 355 campaign.
    30BC: Ottaviano Augusto becomes the first Imperator, in his 44 years of principate he will bring to the empire peace and prosperity!
    70AD: Vespasiano is the winner of first great empire's civil war,rebuilding Roman world after the Nero's dark ages.
    98AD: Traiano becomes imperator after that the senateman Nerva adopted him,he will start a gold age for the empire getting it to biggest extension!! 117AD-180AD Adriano,Antonino Pio and Marco Aurelio administrate the empire during his richest and most pacific period, with their good administration Rome lives its golden age.
    193AD: Settimio Severo wins the civil war started after the death of Commodo starting the Severan dinasty, his heirs will not be as good as him. 252-285AD Rome lives the peak of III century's crisis,onli the emperor Aureliano will be able to reunite the empire breacked in 3 parts and the great reformer Diocleziano will give to Rome militar,politic and social cohesion after decades of caos. 325AD:Costantino rules alone over the empire and christianity is for the first time accepted by the imperial government.

its a very good mod but theres is one thing that i dont like. why cant i play battles with normal formats. i mean the map, the units en the icons all down in my screen if you know what i mean. Is there a way to do this? anyway, the mod is one of the best i have ever played, good job!

Quote Originally Posted by klok View Post
    its a very good mod but theres is one thing that i dont like. why cant i play battles with normal formats. i mean the map, the units en the icons all down in my screen if you know what i mean. Is there a way to do this? anyway, the mod is one of the best i have ever played, good job!
    I know, it takes time to get used to it. You can change it though. In your preferences file located in the IJ folder, Just change the line MINIMAL_UI: from TRUE to FALSE and voila

Art by Joar

oh thanks man. For the next 3 centuaries you will not see mee because i am going to play this mod for real.

365 Valentianus has defintetly been my favorite

I have just started a 355 AD Julianus campaign and despite the obvious financial woes, I am finding it somewhat easier than the 361 and subsequently are enjoying it. Nearly got the Alamanni on their knees (just have to chase down one stack) and once they are taken care of I will reorganise my forces and head south to attack the Roman rebels at Verona for some much needed territory and cash gain.

Julianus and his invincible army continue to sweep the Franks from the map (I just love his army, its legionarries are powerful and have suffered negligble losses and those mounted archers seem to wreak havoc on the Franks), who seem to have more stacks than I thought. I put together an army in Britian made from the garrisons plus I have some more British legionarries and Sarmatian horse training up in Londinium and they have landed in Frankish territory and will be working in concert with Julianus. One other stack of mine has crossed the Rhine and is beseiging that Frankish city near Augusta Treverorum.

Berbers are been a nuisance and have taken one city...Russadir I think...but I have got an army training in Carthago Nova to go along with the mobile forces that currently act as garrison, that I am going to mix with the limitani troops that I pulled from Africa and then go on the rampage. It's going to be awesomely bloodthirsty! I'll post some pics when I get to it.
    'The Last Pagan Emperor'- An Invasio Barbarorum Somnium Apostatae Juliani AAR
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

'Immortal Persia' A Civilization III AAR

Prepare to imbibe the medicine of rebuke!

Berbers are a pain. I recommend getting your Spanish legion and lots of cavalry assembled to face them as a mobile force.

Naughteous Maximus's Avatar Tiro

I'm playing as Precopius in the 365AD campaign on VH/H settings. The year is 410AD and I've taken the Sassanid capital and reconquered all territory lost to them. My economy is booming and I'm pulling in 30,000 - 40,000 denarii per turn. I spend alot of money expanding my infrastructure. I've become so wealthy and powerful that no one except the visigoths have bothered to attack me. The lazyges haven't attacked me at all and yet I've noticed that they conquered a good part of Iberia. What I find amazing is how fast the Berbers are in becomming a major threat. For those that don't know, when you conquer the Sassanid capital, you can recruit a comitatenses of Sassanid legionaires.

Quote Originally Posted by The10thLegion View Post
    Berbers are a pain. I recommend getting your Spanish legion and lots of cavalry assembled to face them as a mobile force.
    Yeah, I have a sizeable amount of Iberian legio comitatenses with cataphratcs and scutarii units and two archer units as the heavy hitters and they'll be backed by my spare Mauretanian cavalry. Unfortunately most of my limitanea troops are going to have to go north into Spain and provide garrison duties for troublesome cities.

As a bit of an update....I've conquered all the Alamanni territory and the limitani garrisons have moved in and all is peaceful as the mobile forces head north to support the war on the Franks (who I shall now have four stacks prosecuting this crucial theatre to its bloody end). The Alamanni king and a handful of units (i think thats all that left of them) are far to the east so I'll leave them there for now as they aren't causing trouble. I've also just killed the Frankish King Chlodio and am preparing to besiege both Colonia Agrippina and the other Frankish settlement to the north. The fate of the Frankish capital is about to be decided some time tonight hopefully. Unfortunately, those pesky Gaels have sent a huge stack and are attacking one of my forts.
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

Quote Originally Posted by Naughteous Maximus View Post
    I'm playing as Precopius in the 365AD campaign on VH/H settings. The year is 410AD and I've taken the Sassanid capital and reconquered all territory lost to them. My economy is booming and I'm pulling in 30,000 - 40,000 denarii per turn. I spend alot of money expanding my infrastructure. I've become so wealthy and powerful that no one except the visigoths have bothered to attack me. The lazyges haven't attacked me at all and yet I've noticed that they conquered a good part of Iberia. What I find amazing is how fast the Berbers are in becomming a major threat. For those that don't know, when you conquer the Sassanid capital, you can recruit a comitatenses of Sassanid legionaires.
    I can't beleive you killed off Valens.

DON"T WANT TO TALK TO YOU NOW

Naughteous Maximus's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by The10thLegion View Post
    I can't beleive you killed off Valens.

DON"T WANT TO TALK TO YOU NOW

Bwahahahaahaaa!

Lionheart's Avatar Decanus

I begun playing Procopius campaign. After asserve my full autorithy over Greece i'm now fighting agains Valens (i hope get rid of him very soon) and when i was planning attack Valentinian I the Iazyges take Salonae. So now i must get rid of them (I like it ). I will tell you more when i have news.

Update on my Julianus 355 AD campaign....

Its a mixture of good and bad, mostly good. First the good.

Magnentius has brought fire and sword to the Gaels, invading with a large army and sacking Dal Raida. A small garrison now holds it and the general is the first Roman for some time to invade Scotland in an attempt to bring the troublesome people to heel.

The Franks are on their last legs. Campus Frisii is now Roman, whilst Julianus beseiges Colonia Agrippina with only some skeleton Frankish armies wandering nearby, nowhere near strong enough to cause problems. These wanderers will be dealt with in time.

The Spanish legion under Verenianus has invaded Africa and taken Russadir without too much trouble, killing the Berber King in the process. With the city safely garrisoned, he now beseiges the Roman rebels at Tingis. I suspect that even if captured it may not be able to be held for long, due to unrest so the usual butchery shall take place. A preliminary check by a diplomat has found that the Berber heartlands has fallen to internal strife with the province directly south of Russadir in rebel hands. For now, the Berbers are no threat and the priority lays with dealing with traitorous Roman scum.

An army under Valentinianus has entered central Iberia with the aim of subduing the Roman rebels at Toletum. Emerita Augusta returned to Roman hands after a successful loyalist revolt. Valentinianus will use his milites and numerus troops to garrison suspect settlements, whilst he himself will withdraw with his comes troops and his heavy cavalry to reinforce the Quadi campaign.

Now, the bad....

The Quadi are proving a major nuisance, as they beseige Augusta Vindelicorum with a considerable force with those blasted Sarmatian horse archers, which is on the verge of rioting. Fortunately Barbatio (after having destroyed a large Quadi force in Alamanni lands) has arrived with a large army with palatinae and comes troops, usual palitane sagitarii units and some cataphracts. I suspect that to drive them out it going to be rather costly on my behalf. I hate facing the Quadi as much as I hate the lazyges (anyone got any tips on facing them...more than a couple of horse archers throws me out of wack). Fortunately a brand new heavy legion, replete with four units of joviani seniores, four units of cornuti seniores palatinae troops, a sizeable contingent of archers and some scutarii cavalry, lead by Gratianus. Here I seriously wish I trained up some more heavy troops with the cash that I had....

To compound this, Constantius has declared war on me for some perceived trangression (the flogger was in MY territory!) but has done nothing yet. There is one large army lurking near Mediolanium but its made of rubbish milites and some ballistae units. I am unsure of my next move here. Do I use Gratianus and his crack troops to smash past some Roman rebels (mostly scutarii and dalmatian horsemen) that block my way to Aquelia (held by the Quadi) and then torch my way north and go from there or do I go west to deal with this Maximius army, then bash my way past those rebels and then deal with the Quadi? I had originally intended this crack force to attack Ravenna which is under the rebels standard but that now seems unimportant for now. I hope to send Julianus once he is done with the Franks and then invade by the backdoor of the Quadi land and just wreak havoc but it will take him some time due to his cursed winter campaign restrictions. Decision, decisions...

Sorry for the long post...got a little out of hand!
    MAARC L 1st Place
    MAARC LXXI 1st Place

355 as Constantius.

He perished in battle against the Quadi. He was leading a small reinforcement and a huge army pounced on him. The Allemani and Franks have almost destroyed the empire of Julianus, all they have are left some provinces in southern Spain, an island in the Mediterranean, and North Africa. I might give them one of my islands to ensure they survive. What happened with it was that they lost the initial battles at Argentorum and the defeated generals revolted. I'm too busy reducing the Sassanids and Armenia (I didn't want to attack them but they stupidly declared war after my agents tried to assassinate their king) to obedience to help.

A lot of the cities in the west have weak enough unit rosters, so it might take time to prepare. Also the Alemanni have the last city I need, and they are my allies. A good many cities in the west revolted on me, but were reconquered.

Jerusalem revolts on me a lot. It becomes a rebel city, and not a rebel Roman city.

The Lakimids attacked me with forces extraordinary only for their feebleness. The forces conquering the Sassanids and Armenians did not need to be brought back as garrison units did the job, though I suffered one defeat at Alexandria. The Berbers are much stronger in autocalc battles than on the battlefield. I took Dimmidi off them as their constant feeble attacks were annoying me. The first general, with three other generals, and his army revolted on me. An army from Carthage with comital infantry and archers took both Dimidi and killed those traitors.

Cities at the borders are more developed than those at the centre. I am now trying to rectify that. The Qaudi are now a much diminished horde. They have killed Constantius, taken one city, but now they've nothing. The Visigoths are weakened. I am content to let them have the rubbish province the rule now that I have their gold producing provinces they had conquered. The Sassanids still have some large armies, but few elite units now. The only challenge was that my best general, a mult-star general based originally near Antioch (Tarsus I think) was assassinated by them, and his understudy had already perished in battle.

My emperor is now one Majorianus who appears to have converted from paganism to Christianity. He has a fair few stars despite only a few battles against the Visigoths and Quadi.

My religious policy is largely pragmatic. A clutch of temples with their bonuses can help when expanding north of the Danube as the neighbours are mainly pagan and the land fairly barren. I prefer Christian temples in richer provinces. There are no excessive farming bonuses and the law bonuses mean less micromanagement.

Quote Originally Posted by Patricius View Post
    355 as Constantius.

He perished in battle against the Quadi. He was leading a small reinforcement and a huge army pounced on him. The Allemani and Franks have almost destroyed the empire of Julianus, all they have are left some provinces in southern Spain, an island in the Mediterranean, and North Africa. I might give them one of my islands to ensure they survive. What happened with it was that they lost the initial battles at Argentorum and the defeated generals revolted. I'm too busy reducing the Sassanids and Armenia (I didn't want to attack them but they stupidly declared war after my agents tried to assassinate their king) to obedience to help.

A lot of the cities in the west have weak enough unit rosters, so it might take time to prepare. Also the Alemanni have the last city I need, and they are my allies. A good many cities in the west revolted on me, but were reconquered.

Jerusalem revolts on me a lot. It becomes a rebel city, and not a rebel Roman city.

The Lakimids attacked me with forces extraordinary only for their feebleness. The forces conquering the Sassanids and Armenians did not need to be brought back as garrison units did the job, though I suffered one defeat at Alexandria. The Berbers are much stronger in autocalc battles than on the battlefield. I took Dimmidi off them as their constant feeble attacks were annoying me. The first general, with three other generals, and his army revolted on me. An army from Carthage with comital infantry and archers took both Dimidi and killed those traitors.

Cities at the borders are more developed than those at the centre. I am now trying to rectify that. The Qaudi are now a much diminished horde. They have killed Constantius, taken one city, but now they've nothing. The Visigoths are weakened. I am content to let them have the rubbish province the rule now that I have their gold producing provinces they had conquered. The Sassanids still have some large armies, but few elite units now. The only challenge was that my best general, a mult-star general based originally near Antioch (Tarsus I think) was assassinated by them, and his understudy had already perished in battle.

My emperor is now one Majorianus who appears to have converted from paganism to Christianity. He has a fair few stars despite only a few battles against the Visigoths and Quadi.

My religious policy is largely pragmatic. A clutch of temples with their bonuses can help when expanding north of the Danube as the neighbours are mainly pagan and the land fairly barren. I prefer Christian temples in richer provinces. There are no excessive farming bonuses and the law bonuses mean less micromanagement.
    Your campaign sounds very entertaining. I have never played a Constantius campaign before. I think I'll play that one. Thank you.

Art by Joar