Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Campaign Are You Playing & Why

Default Re: Which Campaign Are You Playing & Why

I'm going to try the 365 AD campaign with Valentinian. Let's kick some barbarian butts, baby!

Art by Joar

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Imperial fist, I asked u about Warhammer as ur icon and name is a 40k thingy
    Also: DoW, hey? Me too! And lizzies too!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Has naybody tried the Sassanids or Guptas??

Once the new install is available, i will contine my 365 campaign and show everyone that the west can be just as strong as the east.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

361 ce i dont have it yet waiting for my new computer ,but really really looking forward to it .Why 361 alwayswanted to control the whole empire.Two weeks to go !!!

Signature made by Joar

Imperial Fist's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    Imperial fist, I asked u about Warhammer as ur icon and name is a 40k thingy
    Also: DoW, hey? Me too! And lizzies too!
    Hehe, its everytime nice to meet WH40K fans. Ohh, what would i give for a legio astartes for the romans from time to time. The sassanids have armored horse archers? So what we have 10000 bolter shooting, chainsword swinging, gen modified warriors.
    On the other side it would be a short and boring campaign.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Imperial Guard Forever!! lol

julian I have played the Sassanids ans i must say wow i realy like how they are set up you hav mad them as close to history as Rome can bring. its nice to fight Romans for a change not as stinky barbarians .

plus im digging the fact they have good infantry as well as godly calvery! onlly problom is its hard to take Roman citys the Romans have defnece down pat.
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Quote Originally Posted by legio_XX View Post
    Imperial Guard Forever!! lol

julian I have played the Sassanids ans i must say wow i realy like how they are set up you hav mad them as close to history as Rome can bring. its nice to fight Romans for a change not as stinky barbarians .

plus im digging the fact they have good infantry as well as godly calvery! onlly problom is its hard to take Roman citys the Romans have defnece down pat.
    You have to give Gaiten credit there too. He is the Sassanid expert.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Merci!

And for all you like the new Sassanians you will get crazy about those included in IBRR V8.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

then all I can say is...yummm I have never won a sassanids so I MUST WIN IT haha

julian i do need your help here I dled the latest 3.0 and I only have one campian that works what is the dealio???!!

oh ya So how was the sassanids infantery to the romans?? Gaitin i must ask cuz they look smart
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

julian i do need your help here I dled the latest 3.0 and I only have one campian that works what is the dealio???!!
    Can you elaborate more please? You should be able to play all three. You realise that you have to install each campaign into your IJ folder for them the work.

.....julian i thank you for putting up with my stupidness. i realy dont know what i was thinking im a lol okay sorry about that

oh ya So how was the sassanids infantery to the romans?? Gaitin i must ask cuz they look smart
    Not sure if I have correctly understood you, what do you want to know, my friend?

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

I started the 361 AD campaign as IJ H/H, mostly since I couldn´t get battles in the east to work in v.2 and I am itching to get my hands dirty in some roman - sassanid battles!
    I have only played 3 turns so far, but so far its a blast! Its the hardest campaign i´ve ever played in rtw and im loving it! I have decided that i will actually finish this campaign, which i have never done in any total war game ever, and after then I will just have to try a sassanid or lakhimd campaign, they look insanely fun.
    Anyway Im going to fight off those lazy gees, which are certainly not living up to their nickname, they have already sent 4 full stacks at me which my comitatensis are having a hard time keeping at bay. Thanks alot julianus for this gem, it will keep me occupied for many months! And ofc a big thanks to Gäiten and Gen.jameWolfe for the work on the sassanids and lakhmids!

All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn.

then all I can say is...yummm I have never won a sassanids so I MUST WIN IT haha

Gaiten is probably better equipped to answer this, but I'll give it a try. The romans generally were quite dismissive of Sassanid infantry as most of it seems to have been of lower quality who were there to act as shields for their foot archers or assist in seiges. But they did have some quality infantry as well, the dalamites being the most well known. But it seems over time that the Sassanids did try to imitate the Romans as the Romans did with the Sassanid type cavalry, but the mainstay of their armies was usually the Savaran.

So you should try to bear in mind that Sassanid armies would consist of Savaran with support from their infantry. Quality infantry would be in small numbers, say 2 units in a stack of twenty.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Cheers

Gaiten is probably better equipped to answer this, but I'll give it a try. The romans generally were quite dismissive of Sassanid infantry as most of it seems to have been of lower quality who were there to act as shields for their foot archers or assist in seiges. But they did have some quality infantry as well, the dalamites being the most well known. But it seems over time that the Sassanids did try to imitate the Romans as the Romans did with the Sassanid type cavalry, with a form of imitation legionaire, which you can recruit in this mod, but the mainstay of their armies was usually the Savaran.

So you should try to bear in mind that Sassanid armies would consist of Savaran with support from their infantry. Quality infantry would be in small numbers, say 2 units in a stack of twenty.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

Cheers[/quote]

I just started my 365 AD campaign with the WRE. Second turn and Valentinian, that is to say me, was about to have his imperial ass whooped and cruelly handed to him by the Alamanni . ! That battle was great!! I noticed then that the unlimited men option on the battlefield has been activated as there were about ten thousand soldiers fighting (2 Barbarian armies of 3450 men each, my army with 3250 soldiers and a reinforcement detachment of around 500 men). Since the banners option is off, the battle was complete chaos, it was almost impossible to distinguish the enemy and my own army. I guess this is what ancient generals experienced during battles. At the end, just out of sheer luck, I must admit , I won. That was a beautiful fight and very pleasing slaughter .
    Just one thing, the evnt scroll that appears at the beginning of the second turn, shows the '355 AD Campaign', instead of the 365 AD. Just a little error that should be corrected, I think.

Art by Joar

I've been playing the 355AD campaign on H/H as Julian (finally I get to play a campaign after months of devoloping!!). It is now 357AD. I am close to destroying the Alemanni faction, though I may let them survive.

I have had my Battle of Argentorum, where I battled the Alemanni King, Chnodomarius the Great. I had to fight 2 stacks of Alemanni against 1 stack of romans, but I had a very good defensive position on a hill, and thy were attacking me. Well, I guess you know the rest, a complete destruction of the Alemanni army and the death of their King. I think I will send his head to Constantius II.

The Franks have not been as aggressive so far and have managed to defend Augusta Treverorum a number of times. I have been using small groups of equites sagitarii and equites scutarii units along with some auxilia sagitarii to wear down the Franks as they have very little long range missle troops.

The Gaelic and Berber tribes have just started to attack my outposts. My finances are shot to pieces, but that was to be expected as I now owe 400,000 denarii, but the debt is slowing.

It seems the Quadi and Iazyges have taken cities in the Pannonia provinces which is probably where I will head next after pacifying the Franks as this will allow me to gain territory and increased taxes while not upsetting the east roman faction. I will also attempt to gain rebel cities that were previously belonging to Constantius II. But of course that could all change. Time will tell. I'll keep you all posted.

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS View Post
    I just started my 365 AD campaign with the WRE. Second turn and Valentinian, that is to say me, was about to have his imperial ass whooped and cruelly handed to him by the Alamanni . ! That battle was great!! I noticed then that the unlimited men option on the battlefield has been activated as there were about ten thousand soldiers fighting (2 Barbarian armies of 3450 men each, my army with 3250 soldiers and a reinforcement detachment of around 500 men). Since the banners option is off, the battle was complete chaos, it was almost impossible to distinguish the enemy and my own army. I guess this is what ancient generals experienced during battles. At the end, just out of sheer luck, I must admit , I won. That was a beautiful fight and very pleasing slaughter .
    Just one thing, the evnt scroll that appears at the beginning of the second turn, shows the '355 AD Campaign', instead of the 365 AD. Just a little error that should be corrected, I think.
    that was an awesome, all inspiring spectacle. I must rep thee

but I can tell you, you got lucky-I was repeatedly winning battles with worse odds-as a lakhmid. I had 2000 sassanids on 1200 arabs in an assult(they attacked), and I had few archers to help, so it was a close run thing.

I AM A MAAYUN!! *punches*
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

A question for those who have been playing against Sassanians for a while, how are their armies composed (infantry, cavalry)?
    I am interested in those armies the AI had formed.