Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / HORDALAND

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / HORDALAND ***new content***

Your employed, mate!

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ok, sound the horn of PM when the high king calls for beta testing then.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackleaf-Wille View Post
    I love how sami's are represented.

They are not accurate, how would you like it if the Viking units were portrayed as Samurai or Zulu?
    I don't really care if they decide to include Sami "warriors" even if it's totally unhistorical, but they should at least be represented right.

Sami "Warriors"
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Real Sami

Last edited by Pallantides; May 13, 2009 at 10:41 PM.

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Måtte satan følge deg til helvete, din forpulte djevel! Ha ha
    I'll be waiting for you in hell! Good luck for coding and testing The Last Kingdom, heaven on earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Pallantides View Post

They are not accurate, how would you like it if the Viking units were portrayed as Samurai or Zulu?
    I don't really care if they decide to include Sami "warriors" even if it's totally unhistorical, but they should at least be represented right.
    You are absolutely right, Pallantides! But don't you think you should wait with excessive criticism until release? It's time to motivate team members of The Last Kingdom...
    Last edited by Halvar von Flake; May 14, 2009 at 02:09 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I'm saying that it's a good leap from this plate superman...

...to this....

And btw, your pictures of sami are hardly viking era. Samis were influenced as early as the viking era, and there are writings about Sami's fighting in the Kings army.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

And btw, your pictures of sami are hardly viking era. Samis were influenced as early as the viking era, and there are writings about Sami's fighting in the Kings army.
    Sorry but there are not many pictures of Sami from the Viking era, so drawings from the 17th-18th and photographs taken in the 19th century is probably best source in determining the closest physical appearance of the Sami at that time.

I'd like source for that claim about Sami fighting for the King, as it's widely accepted that the Sami people have never participated in any wars or warfare, there is not even a word for 'war' in the Sami languages, In Northern Sami it's 'Soathi' wich is loaned from Finnish Sota, everything I have come up with in my search is that the Vikings traded and demanded tribute from Sami tribes, nothing about Sami fighting for a foregin king.
    Last edited by Pallantides; May 14, 2009 at 05:06 AM.

Ok mate! I’m tired of this.

1. I can only repeat myself.

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    ... finally just dont forget it, this is not historical symulation!!!
    I would prefer a historicaly authentic mode which only substantially follows the history. Unfortunately we don't have capacity for a more serious work.
    So, this mod is also "historically inspired but creatively done" so the work is not perfectly historical...
    2. You sent me some photos about Sami from the begining of the 20th century and you assume that they looked like the same 1100 years ago.

Please, tell me: were you there in that time?
    Don’t you think it is possible that these people had weapons?
    Standardization is unacceptable?
    We made almost 100 new units for the game. Parts of them represent regions and represent weapons group. If there are two infantry mercenary in a region we need one spearman to keep the balance. Unfortunately in this case we need to make compromises. I have an example: German Axemen can be hired on one part of the map and on the southern-east part the Lombard unit have to use Speart to keep the before mentioned balance. On higher level it is acceptable and I know that it is unacceptable on your level. Unfortunately my homeland does not represent itself with any units because of the same reason.

3. You are gettint to behave woozily. This is your 10th post when you are talking about the same thing. (The samis were different, the samis were different….)
    You wrote 9-10 posts, you wrote to my profile so you should stop now. You are a maniac!

As I wrote to you earlier I told your opinion the others. So we will decide wether to take out that unit or rename it or just leave it as it is.

I really don’t want to heart your feelings but I would like to ask you to stop writing about Samis. I let you know if there is a decision about Samis.

Thanks! - daNova

I was just replying to their posts, I'm hardly acting like a maniac and I have posted 7 times in the thread.

Anyway, I'm finished, sorry for wasting your time, if anyone want to discuss the Sami further they can go to my Sami thread in VV.
    Last edited by Pallantides; May 14, 2009 at 05:21 AM.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Sorry but there are not many pictures of Sami from the Viking era, so drawings from the 17th-18th and photographs taken in the 19th century is probably best source in determining the closest physical appearance of the Sami at that time.

I'd like source for that claim about Sami fighting for the King, as it's widely accepted that the Sami people have never participated in any wars or warfare, there is not even a word for 'war' in the Sami languages, In Northern Sami it's 'Soathi' wich is loaned from Finnish Sota, everything I have come up with in my search is that the Vikings traded and demanded tribute from Sami tribes, nothing about Sami fighting for a foregin king.
    Well if Norrøn(norway), swedish and Russia <all demanded taxes of the Sami, then don't you think they would use Sami in warfare. I'm not talking about Sami Khan riding up on raindeers. I'm saying, since Samis are already within the kingdom, that they will some how be used in warfare.
    I don't got a link just now, it's a looong time since I read it. The source came from texts about battle of stikklestad. How Samis were protected by magical armour, and that they were fear for it.

Senator
    In the icey lands of Norway... which aren't actually icey... more like rainy.

Danova, perhaps you could make a Swedish mercenary unit instead? There were a lot Swedes which served the Norse army as mercenaries.

oh holy crap!
    Please open a Sami thread in this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by hekk View Post
    Danova, perhaps you could make a Swedish mercenary unit instead? There were a lot Swedes which served the Norse army as mercenaries.
    How about Karelian mercenaries, I have read that they allied themselves with the Vikings and sometimes fought as mercenaries for them.
    Last edited by Pallantides; May 14, 2009 at 06:50 AM.

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

Hey Pallantides, open a new thread only for Sami based topics!!!

What about an extra voting poll only for people of Sami origin...?

EDIT: If somebody likes listening to Sami music, try this link...

http://saamiblog.blogspot.com/

...by the way...some Sami look quite nordic on the link-pictures...
    ...nevertheless, danova's Sami units are beautiful!!!
    Last edited by Halvar von Flake; May 14, 2009 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halvar von Flake View Post
    Hey Pallantides, open a new thread only for Sami based topics!!!
    I have already said what I wanted to say really...

Quote Originally Posted by Halvar von Flake View Post

...by the way...some Sami look quite nordic on the link-pictures...
    Well there is a lot of diversity even among the Sami:
    Last edited by Pallantides; May 14, 2009 at 12:27 PM.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Cool, very nice, when is it due to be released?

Simply amazing... +rep!

I still have to insist that a Jarldom can't be run by a king!

(apologies if someone has pointed this out, but it is so essential for immersion!)
    "For men can endure to hear others praised only so long as they can severally persuade themselves of their own ability to equal the actions recounted: when this point is passed, envy comes in and with it, incredulity." - Pericles, Funeral Oration

"English bastards!" - the Scottish AAR!

The Grass is ALWAYS Greener: the Dark Tale of Mordor

Want to publish an article on any aspect of history? PM or email me at shistory@speculativehistory.co.uk, or visit http://www.speculativehistory.co.uk. if you just want to learn something new.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Then open a thread about it, and spray your "propaganda". Fine with me. You get alot more ground.

awesome!!

Then open a thread about it, and spray your "propaganda". Fine with me. You get alot more ground.
    No, I'm sure the point has been made, now. And, 'propaganda'? Do you mean 'logic'?
    "For men can endure to hear others praised only so long as they can severally persuade themselves of their own ability to equal the actions recounted: when this point is passed, envy comes in and with it, incredulity." - Pericles, Funeral Oration

"English bastards!" - the Scottish AAR!

The Grass is ALWAYS Greener: the Dark Tale of Mordor

Want to publish an article on any aspect of history? PM or email me at shistory@speculativehistory.co.uk, or visit http://www.speculativehistory.co.uk. if you just want to learn something new.