Thread: Great Mod

Default Great Mod

Been playing empire non stop for ages recently ( i love it though i know some dont and yes it has a lot of probs, BUT imagine middle earth with the use of all three maps and the trade areas to, that would be crazy epic), any way had my eye on this mod for a while, but could not find the time to d/l it and set it up, i had some real bad probelms with previous mods ive tried to set up and that kind of put me of for a long time.

But i started getting the urge for a bit of mass medieval fighting today, but did not fancy the normal game so decided to get a good mod. Had a look and refound this mod and was surprised to see it was out all ready, any way d/l it with ease and installed it with not a problem, so well done there guys, that was the easiest set ups of any mod ive ever had, it was done in under half an hour.

Been playing lots of custom and random battles to get used to everything, and wow how good are the units, amazing looking, and even if some of the speech is not there yet, the battles look stunning.

Booted up a quick campaign with gondor a while back, began to send out scouts and diplomats, and tried to build my economy quickly, managed to build up two armys, one was to be used in defence, and the other was gonna take osgiliath from the rebels, well i get there and begin to siege the western side, when 4 mordor armys arrive and siege the other side, i decided to pull back.

Well 20 turns or so later, and the armys of mordor have over run 5 of my citys, including my capital, which i lost in a epic siege. I have just before i typed this managed to halt them, 5,000 of them against a very quickly put together 2,000 or so of my men, with only a few top units, i won the battle killing 3,500 of them, but lost 1,200 men, damn this is hard, they tried to out flank me, and wiped out all 5 of my leaders haha, love the way they dont all route of the field now, but will return to fight once they have recovered a bit, makes it so much harder, and shows the need to keep the sword in the backs so to speak.

So all in all a wonderful mod, beautiful graphics, looks perfect, the music is great and atmpsphere is spot on. One slight problem i have though, is without the old unit flags, it can be hard sometimes to make out whos who, does any one know how to readd the flags, i personaly never minded them, or are they completly out of the mod ?

Default Re: Great Mod

Thanks for the complements What do you mean unit flags?If your having the error where the unit cards are white, then you need to install the hotfix:

http://files.filefront.com/TATW+Hotf.../fileinfo.html
    Son of _Pontifex_Father to Mithrandir
    - Citizen, Artifex, Civitate - Librarian

Third Age: Total War - Most Promising Mod of 2008
    2D Graphical Artist & Moderator

Hallow's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by lord0thief View Post
    IBTL
    I've seen you say this and ONLY this in several posts already, and to be honest, your retarded spam and quite frankly unhelpful comments is getting on my nerve.

To the OP: I have to agree with you the mod is brilliant, it has some minor flaws but all in all its one of the best games I've played Also agree with you on the unit flags, perhaps make them toggleable with a simple key stroke? Anywho I do now understand the huge difficulty with your Gondor campaign. I managed rather easily to capture Cair Andros and both Osgiliaths + the western prvoince and that island and then hold it within like 15 turns. Are you using archers? They are mighty powerful in this mod. A strategy I often use is just position your troops in 2 ranks, first rank melee and second rank archers (preferably quite a few of them) and then just let them come to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Code_Knight View Post
    Thanks for the complements What do you mean unit flags?If your having the error where the unit cards are white, then you need to install the hotfix:

http://files.filefront.com/TATW+Hotf.../fileinfo.html
    He means the in battle unit flags, you know, the ones that go blinky blinky when a unit routes. (atleast I think so)
    Last edited by Code_Knight; May 06, 2009 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallow View Post
    He means the in battle unit flags, you know, the ones that go blinky blinky when a unit routes. (atleast I think so)
    If so, just look at your unit cards and they'll tell you if they are routing

I've seen you say this and ONLY this in several posts already, and to be honest, your retarded spam and quite frankly unhelpful comments is getting on my nerve.

To the OP: I have to agree with you the mod is brilliant, it has some minor flaws but all in all its one of the best games I've played Also agree with you on the unit flags, perhaps make them toggleable with a simple key stroke? Anywho I do now understand the huge difficulty with your Gondor campaign. I managed rather easily to capture Cair Andros and both Osgiliaths + the western prvoince and that island and then hold it within like 15 turns. Are you using archers? They are mighty powerful in this mod. A strategy I often use is just position your troops in 2 ranks, first rank melee and second rank archers (preferably quite a few of them) and then just let them come to you.
    This is considered trolling in a public forum, just PM him next time and tell him why it bugs you.

If so, just look at your unit cards and they'll tell you if they are routing
    Yeh but cant do that for the enemy I'm not complainig or anything, just sayin..

This is considered trolling in a public forum, just PM him next time and tell him why it bugs you.
    How was what I said trolling? It was mainly a post to the OP but with an included comment to the above poster.
    Last edited by Hallow; May 06, 2009 at 07:00 PM.

Yeh but cant do that for the enemy I'm not complainig or anything, just sayin..
    Put your cursor over them and it'll tell you (which isn't so hard you lazy bums ) The unit flags are unrealistic and without them, I think it looks a lot nicer.

Btw, what does IBTL mean?

Put your cursor over them and it'll tell you (which isn't so hard you lazy bums ) The unit flags are unrealistic and without them, I think it looks a lot nicer.

In before the lock.

And yeh I'm lazy Also agree that it looks nicer and cleaner without them, hence why I suggested them toggleable with a keystroke, so that you could turn them on for a second then off again

I can understand how it may annoy some people with no flags. Yes the game looks more 'realistic' but they make it easy to see and select units ect. which is difficult somethimes when they are all mixed together. They will be an option in the future yes?

IBTL = In Before The Lock
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Tharros; May 06, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharros View Post
    I can understand how it may annoy some people with no flags. Yes the game looks more 'realistic' but they make it easy to see and select units ect. which is difficult somethimes when they are all mixed together. They will be an option in the future yes?

IBTL = In Before The Lock
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Probably not, it would cause more work for the team for no reason. However it would be a decent sub mod if someone would like to do that.

Probably not, it would cause more work for the team for no reason. However it would be a decent sub mod if someone would like to do that.
    I was actually thinking of giving that a go on the weekend...
    I don't know how many times people asked how to turn banners back on in the first few days of release...

I was actually thinking of giving that a go on the weekend...
    I don't know how many times people asked how to turn banners back on in the first few days of release...
    It would require a 2D artist to make the banners so it would probably take a two man team. A coder (so he knows where to put the files and how to explain how to toggle to the community) and a 2D artist to actually make the flag.

It would require a 2D artist to make the banners so it would probably take a two man team. A coder (so he knows where to put the files and how to explain how to toggle to the community) and a 2D artist to actually make the flag.
    I know I'm probably going to regret saying this but:

It doesn't sound to difficult

The toggle you are refering to is just a line in the TATW.cfg correct? And then I will just have to replace the factions banners of the corresponding factions correct (sicily = gondor for example)?
    I'm not bad at photoshop so I think I will be ok.

I know I'm probably going to regret saying this but:

It doesn't sound to difficult

The toggle you are refering to is just a line in the TATW.cfg correct? And then I will just have to replace the factions banners of the corresponding factions correct (sicily = gondor for example)?
    I'm not bad at photoshop so I think I will be ok.
    First off let me start by saying, 2D is hard! But this job is easy

Exactly as long as you know how it shouldn't be a problem, but you need to explain to the community how to do it because not everyone messes with files that much.

Okay okay don't shoot man! Just joking around!
    It's the internet, not some super-serious forum on political issues or something.
    I'll stop though since it seems to bother you so much... 0_0
    But seriously, if internet spam pisses you off THAT much... I'm sorry for you.

It's the internet, not some super-serious forum on political issues or something.
    But seriously, if internet spam pisses you off so much...
    I said it was getting on my nerve, not pissing me off

But seriously, if internet spam pisses you off so much...
    Perhaps he should be a moderator like me

If you guys want to talk about this anymore, you need to bring it to visitor or private messages.

Perhaps he should be a moderator like me

If you guys want to talk about this anymore, you need to bring it to visitor or private messages.
    I'd end up banning myself after 10 minutes, but I'll shut up now