Cliomhdubh's Avatar Campidoctor

why???

oh and vote for ireland even if we dont deserve it

From the great Gales of Ireland
    Are the men that God made mad,
    For all their wars are merry,
    And all their songs are sad.
    G. K. Chesterton

it wouldnt surprise me if they were allowed in the EU too.

lecnac's Avatar Civis

why not? It would be the next logical step after taking Russia in...Sometimes I think the guys in Brussels are rebuilding the Roman Empire ... and more.
    Ubi dubium ibi libertas

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Yes yes the EU is a revised Roman empire...soon the armies of Europe will be combined as one!

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

why not? It would be the next logical step after taking Russia in
    i think russia will be allowed in eventually seing as europe is from the kerry penusulia to the ural mountains i think turkey will be allowed in because of its long history with europe but israel? israel is going a bit far now i mean its in the middle east and almost in africa :erm

Yes yes the EU is a revised Roman empire...soon the armies of Europe will be combined as one
    persoanally ive alwways belived this but i see an ireland severly unhappy at loosing its neutral status

G. K. Chesterton

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Originally posted by lecnac@May 19 2005, 03:14 PM
    why not? It would be the next logical step after taking Russia in...Sometimes I think the guys in Brussels are rebuilding the Roman Empire ... and more.
    You mean the Russian federation might consider letting the EU join?
    If only we were so lucky, Russian democracy doesn't have a very good name in the world but it's still 1000 times more democratic as the EU.

I've wondered about Israel too (but not too long because I realy don't give a damn about the song festifal).
    I think since they can't get along with any of their own neighbours they have to look at the next continent to find somebody to have sporting and other competitions with.
    But I don't know why Europe lets them play with us, because we have no conection to that country.

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

If only we were so lucky, Russian democracy doesn't have a very good name in the world but it's still 1000 times more democratic as the EU.
    How do you figure that?

Israel is always in european competitions because it would be impossible for them to play against their neighbours.

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Originally posted by Portuguese Rebel@May 19 2005, 05:51 PM

How do you figure that?

Israel is always in european competitions because it would be impossible for them to play against their neighbours.
    Well, I never really considered it so, as we only had 2 candidates, Putin, and some Communist guy who stood no chance, but still got 14(?)%

Civitate

I know its weird, but Shiri Maymon is superbly hot, so I'll forgive her :w00t . Oh she sings well too *tongue*

Sorry about Ireland not making the final, but the song wasnt that great :whistle Still much better than Moldova, how the hell did they get through??? :blink

I was a bit peeved earlier on, I accidentally voted for that rubbish that was Estonia, damn stupid wrong number :>< I must be more careful for the final.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Originally posted by Ricgard@May 19 2005, 06:55 PM

Well, I never really considered it so, as we only had 2 candidates, Putin, and some Communist guy who stood no chance, but still got 14(?)%
    Putin entered the song festival :huh *wink*

Seriously, at least you got to cast your vote.
    The EU is controlled by a commission that is in no way elected.
    There is also an elected "parliament" but they are only allowed to vote about things the EU commission doesn&#39;t think is important enough for them to handle off on their own.

Did Russia compete in the song festival btw? <- my pathetic attempt to keep my post on topic :happy

Israel has to compete in European competitions &#39;cos none of the neigbouring Arabs would play with them.
    Back to play MTW2...

Israel is like the US- it&#39;s a European country thats not physicly in Europe.

HawkeyE's Avatar Vindictively Cruel

Originally posted by Cliomhdubh@May 19 2005, 05:31 PM
    i think turkey will be allowed in because of its long history with europe...
    But the history between isn&#39;t really good history at all. Having history is important, but whether it&#39;s good or bad history between them is more important.

Syron's Avatar Civitate

There is also the important point that a many Israeli&#39;s are european in origin or at least their parents are. If you take that into account, Israel would have more of a right to compete in a european competition than say Turkey where very few come from or whose families come from "Europe".
    Member and acting regent of the House of Kazak Borispavlovgrozny
    Under the patronage of Kazak Borispavlovgrozny
    Freedom from religion is just as much a basic human right as freedom of it.

Particle Physics Gives Me a Hadron

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

The reason for the inlusion of Israel in a variety of European functions, had pragmatic, political, and humanitarian reasons. As athletic competitions go there are mediterrenean games every two years-IIRC- where the criterion of inclusion is the mediterranean coastline ocupancy, nice (mare nostrum) criterion 300 years ago, meaningless now.
    You also have to notice how many alternate definitions of the Balkans are used for political reasons; Slovenia is in and out constantly.
    As for Euro(trash)vision, I&#39;m exchanging the place of Greece for a used trabant in bad condition and without wheels anyday. *wink*

HawkeyE's Avatar Vindictively Cruel

Originally posted by Garbarsardar@May 20 2005, 01:00 AM
    I&#39;m exchanging the place of Greece for a used trabant in bad condition and without wheels anyday. *wink*
    What&#39;s that supposed to mean? :blink

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

(Garbarsardar @ May 20 2005, 01:00 AM)
    I&#39;m exchanging the place of Greece for a used trabant in bad condition and without wheels anyday.**

What&#39;s that supposed to mean?*
    Trabant:notoriously bad, east-Geman car;post reunification uses include:bathtab, flowerpot,desk, "found" art object, pub bench (Berlin:buchhandlung pub).
    Greece:My beloved homeland, with a penchant for sending the worst trashy greek songs in EV, completely disgracing, the country&#39;s cultural past present and future.

Sorry about Ireland not making the final, but the song wasnt that great
    yeah i didnt like them anyway its a bit sad they didnt win as ireland has this pop idol like competion to find the song contestant so they only got into the contest because they have a personallity all the old women ador.
    ah well weve enough trohies from the contest

Still much better than Moldova, how the hell did they get through???
    i know i was rofl when i seen them get through and not ireland :lol

But the history between isn&#39;t really good history at all. Having history is important, but whether it&#39;s good or bad history between them is more important.
    if were going into good and bad history then there should be no european unity i mean the history of europe isnt alll that great

G. K. Chesterton

1. What do you care?
    2. We&#39;ve been in it for decades, glad you noticed.
    3. What do you think would happen if israel competed with arab countries in sport tornaments and other contests, it wouldn&#39;t be nice (although we probably would have had a better chance of winning *tongue* )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast