Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback and Suggestions

Default Feedback and Suggestions

Hello everyone,

you can use this topic to post feedback and suggestions for current and future lessons. If you dislike or like anything, don't be afraid to post it here so I can do my best to improve. If there is anything specific which you would love to learn you may request it here as well.

Cheers,
    Astaroth

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Default Re: Feedback and Suggestions

I would like to learn a bit more how to make specific material.Like rusted metal or chainmail texture.Thats all.
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

Yeah i would like to learn how to create new textures, and how best to frame images for pop ups or event images in game.
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

PubliusKhannus's Avatar Senator

Agreed with the textures part, or even just give us a link with the best tutorials and plugins ( I have used the techzilo link and found some nice plugins, but nothing spectacular)

Check out my collection of poetry, prose, & comedy @ https://badwriter.net

I myself , would like to have some info about 2d-modding .. i know we need to take it step-by-step , and i like the progress on each lesson .. But i was kinda hoping (when i applied) , that in the end , i could make some decent/beginner faction symbols , or such

Not so for the textures , cause i don't think that's the point of this lesson .. A 'Unit Lesson' should involve texturing

Anyway , another suggestion :

keep up the great work ! I love the things you taught me so far I'm proud of my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KingTheoden1 View Post

Not so for the textures , cause i don't think that's the point of this lesson .. A 'Unit Lesson' should involve texturing
    Pff is a gimp basic class !!! creating textures is not the same as texturing(apply skin to units) copy/pasting a texture from internet is equivalent to cheating so that is why i want to learn how to create a texture form nothing(not a skin) like rock, silk, wood, metal, fur and many others.

i agree with theoden i am a 2-d artist and would want to know more about unit cards,UI, ect.

The biggest suggestion I have would be to get the current english version of gimp, as some of your instructions and all of your screenshots are hard to follow/don't correspond to the version most of us are using. It is difficult when you give instruction to click this option or that button and my version at least does not have those options, but something very similar.

Apart from that small gripe it has been a really good class so far, you are a good teacher.

Guys, this is GIMP Basics class, I don't think so that we would be learning something about modding TW games.

I would like to see lessons about making flags (battle banners) and CoAs, more based on texture.
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

Well since this is supposed to teach the GIMP basics I'd like to have it revolve around getting accustomed to the different tools, filters and adjustments rather than specialized areas. I mean, it would be nice to eventually be able to use the knowledge in modding but I feel that should be a subject of its own. For now I'm satisfied with familiarizing myself with the program.

I would like to learn a little more about work flow however. Like some do's and dont's maybe. As it is now I have a hard time replicating previous work since I have no real concept about different stages in editing. I'm just trying to solve everything at once with no clear concept of how or in what order it needs to be done. Perhaps some more in-depth assignments about color adjustments and filters would be in place?

Also, I actually don't find the different languages to be a problem, other than that I accidentally chose my native language instead of English but that just a matter of preference. Trying to understand a picture in a foreign language, explained in English and then trying to find the right option in my own language takes some time but in the process I've found alternative ways for doing the same thing so I'm not bothered by it.

And Astaroth, great work, it's truly appreciated that you take the time to teach us.

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

Quote Originally Posted by karlost123456789 View Post
    I would like to learn a bit more how to make specific material.Like rusted metal or chainmail texture.Thats all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icedie of South View Post
    Yeah i would like to learn how to create new textures, and how best to frame images for pop ups or event images in game.
    Quote Originally Posted by PubliusKhannus View Post
    Agreed with the textures part, or even just give us a link with the best tutorials and plugins ( I have used the techzilo link and found some nice plugins, but nothing spectacular)
    Well, to be honest that cannot really be classified as "basic". Creating textures from scratch isn't that easy and takes a lot of time and many steps. In fact, we already had a Photoshop class dedicated to nothing but texture creating which can be found here. Such a big subject deserves its own class I believe. I might be able to find some good tutorials, though.
    I myself , would like to have some info about 2d-modding .. i know we need to take it step-by-step , and i like the progress on each lesson .. But i was kinda hoping (when i applied) , that in the end , i could make some decent/beginner faction symbols , or such

Anyway , another suggestion :

keep up the great work ! I love the things you taught me so far I'm proud of my avatar
    I'm glad you liked it so far. Anyway, there are several tutorials for faction symbols already. There really isn't so much you can teach about it and this class is not really focused on modding but I'll see what I can do.
    Quote Originally Posted by sithlord447 View Post
    i agree with theoden i am a 2-d artist and would want to know more about unit cards,UI, ect.
    This is meant as a class for beginners with GIMP, not as a modding class. There are already several tutorials about creating a UI or unit cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClimhazarD View Post
    The biggest suggestion I have would be to get the current english version of gimp, as some of your instructions and all of your screenshots are hard to follow/don't correspond to the version most of us are using. It is difficult when you give instruction to click this option or that button and my version at least does not have those options, but something very similar.

Apart from that small gripe it has been a really good class so far, you are a good teacher.
    Thank you. Anyway, I'd love to have the English version but unfortunately I don't know where to get it. The GIMP version I download (there is only one download link) is automatically German, probably due to the fact that I'm German as well. In fact, my German version also makes it harder for me to understand other tutorials as well. So if you have any suggestions on how to get the English version, don't be afraid to share them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
    Guys, this is GIMP Basics class, I don't think so that we would be learning something about modding TW games.
    Indeed.
    I would like to see lessons about making flags (battle banners) and CoAs, more based on texture.
    I'll see what I can do, although this is more advanced than just basic signatures and avatars. Flags and CoAs have a lot to do with blending, good brush work and the burn tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevasti View Post
    Well since this is supposed to teach the GIMP basics I'd like to have it revolve around getting accustomed to the different tools, filters and adjustments rather than specialized areas. I mean, it would be nice to eventually be able to use the knowledge in modding but I feel that should be a subject of its own. For now I'm satisfied with familiarizing myself with the program.

I would like to learn a little more about work flow however. Like some do's and dont's maybe. As it is now I have a hard time replicating previous work since I have no real concept about different stages in editing. I'm just trying to solve everything at once with no clear concept of how or in what order it needs to be done. Perhaps some more in-depth assignments about color adjustments and filters would be in place?

Also, I actually don't find the different languages to be a problem, other than that I accidentally chose my native language instead of English but that just a matter of preference. Trying to understand a picture in a foreign language, explained in English and then trying to find the right option in my own language takes some time but in the process I've found alternative ways for doing the same thing so I'm not bothered by it.

And Astaroth, great work, it's truly appreciated that you take the time to teach us.
    Hm, GIMP is a rather complex program and it isn't easy to simply explain every single feature indepth. Therefore, I try to mention the most important ones with some explanation. The best thing you can do is really just experiment with the different features based on the knowledge taught here I believe. Working with GIMP is always about art as well so it's hard to set up strict rules. But here is one anyway: try to avoid using filters often as most of them should be avoided or at least used with extreme care.

Anyway, color adjustments and some filters will be explained in one of the following lessons.

well since this a gimp basics class i would suggest doing more with different tools and filters and stuff like that

BTW astaroth have you considerd hosting more classes on gimp like gimp intermediate or advanced?

Quote Originally Posted by sithlord447 View Post
    well since this a gimp basics class i would suggest doing more with different tools and filters and stuff like that
    In due time.

My aim is to introduce the GIMP's different features one by one with as much explanation and information as possible.

BTW astaroth have you considerd hosting more classes on gimp like gimp intermediate or advanced?
    I have already considered that but school will be very busy in the next few months so I'm unsure whether I'd have the time.

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Astaroth, your doin a great job with this class. I have been using Gimp on and off for over a year and I have learned a few tricks I didn't know sitting in on your class. Thanks! I really hope you do more classes, by yourself or with other profs assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
    I agree. For one thing, I'm doing this whole lesson from my Linux partition, and I don't want to return to Windows at least until the scripting class.

Argent Usher's Avatar [sɪθlɔ:d]

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Thank you. Anyway, I'd love to have the English version but unfortunately I don't know where to get it. The GIMP version I download (there is only one download link) is automatically German, probably due to the fact that I'm German as well. In fact, my German version also makes it harder for me to understand other tutorials as well. So if you have any suggestions on how to get the English version, don't be afraid to share them.
    Please read here.

And i think some basics about the commonly used file formats and things like "What is a alphachannel." could be useful to know.

Cheers A.U.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night.” Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Argent Usher View Post
    Please read here.
    Ah, thanks a lot. From now on, all screenshots will be in English.

And i think some basics about the commonly used file formats and things like "What is a alphachannel." could be useful to know.

Cheers A.U.
    I gave a brief overview over .jpg, .png and .xcf in lesson 1. I might add more, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Argent Usher View Post
    Please read here.

Cheers A.U.
    Thx ! Looks like there's one downside though :

Your whole system will change to the english language

Argent Usher's Avatar [sɪθlɔ:d]

Thx ! Looks like there's one downside though :

Your whole system will change to the english language
    Another possibility: StartProgramsGTK Runtime Environment Then Select language and select the language you want in the dropping list that shows up.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream only at night.” Edgar Allan Poe

For the final test i would like to learn how to do this type of effect.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I would like to achieve that effect on painted shields.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast