Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "DETAILED" Faction Idea thread

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon3 "DETAILED" Faction Idea thread

Earlier I started a thread in which TONS of new good faction ideas wer posted. Which was cool, but something didn't seem right .... Ideas were made, and only a few somewhat detailed descriptions of the factions (i.e. Units, buildings, etc...) were made. I think that if a faction idea is going to be made, give a detailed, logical, and "lorish" description for unit ideas so that your not just spamming the thread. (Not saying that what people wrote was spam or anything )... I'll start off with a precedent

Blue Mountain Dwarven Clans

Why: Because the Dwarven faction currently suffers from distance in their western territories. Multiple references are given in the books to the somewhat autonomy of these clans due to distance from Erebor.

Settlements: The current Western provinces of the Dwarves

Culture: Dwarven (Duh )

Units:
    1. Dwarven Wanderers (A basic militia unit, armed with a walking staff. Represents the multiple deplaced dwarves in the west. Recruited as a mercenary anywhere in Eriador...)
    2. Dwarven Miners
    3. Dwarven Warriors
    4. Dwarven Axe-Throwers
    5. Dwarven Axemen
    6. Dwarven Rangers (A multi-purpose cloaked dwarf, representing those who took up hunting orcs as a hobby . Armed with a shortbow* and a sword/hand-axe, can hide well)
    7. Mercenary Northmen Archers (Hired Mercenaries from the nearby regions in Eriador, do to the dwarves lack of skill with the bow. Can be recruited either a city with a Northmen poulation, or as a mercenary in Eriador.)
    8. Mercenary Northmen Calvery (Same concept of Dale Calvery)

*Dwarven Rangers are average with a shortbow. Their major advantage is their stealth and multipurpose ability...

Ok, so this is my precedent, if you suggest a faction, do it in like manner please (So I don't get in trouble )...
    RTR RULES!!!!

Default Re: "DETAILED" Faction Idea thread

i think the current system is fine, because the distance issue represents the desire for autonomy. it also gives a scope of the extent of to where the dwarves lived at that time (the whole of the misty mountains, if i'm not mistaken). when i play i treat the two sides as different factions anyways. the east is slowly but surely taking back the east side of the misty mountains while the west is preparing to move south to help the allied high elves eliminate the greedy free folk of eriador . eventually, though, the dwarven clans will be reunited under king dain, his lord thoring, and gimli, the lord of the west. BUAHAHA

i do like your ideas for new units, especially the cavalry and archer mercs you suggested and the wanderers, maybe make miners more of a very low-level shock-troop

EDIT: it's not like it isn't a good idea, it's just all the dwarves (the organized ones anyways) all had the goal of reclaiming moria and ousting the orcs from their former home. it makes it more...epic that way, to see how split the dwarves are
    Last edited by Theseus1234; May 04, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
    --- Theseus1234
    Suum cique (To each their own) -Motto of the Kingdom of Prussia

The Crown of Aragon AAR- The Iberian Supremacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Justice and Mercy View Post
    My opinion is 100% objective. That's how I'm so right all the time.
    ^Human hubris knows no bounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Theseus1234 View Post
    i think the current system is fine, because the distance issue represents the desire for autonomy. it also gives a scope of the extent of to where the dwarves lived at that time (the whole of the misty mountains, if i'm not mistaken). when i play i treat the two sides as different factions anyways. the east is slowly but surely taking back the east side of the misty mountains while the west is preparing to move south to help the allied high elves eliminate the greedy free folk of eriador . eventually, though, the dwarven clans will be reunited under king dain, his lord thoring, and gimli, the lord of the west. BUAHAHA

i do like your ideas for new units, especially the cavalry and archer mercs you suggested and the wanderers, maybe make miners more of a very low-level shock-troop

EDIT: it's not like it isn't a good idea, it's just all the dwarves (the organized ones anyways) all had the goal of reclaiming moria and ousting the orcs from their former home. it makes it more...epic that way, to see how split the dwarves are
    Yeah, I thought my unit ideas were the best part of the concept ... I think those are good points, and I am realizing (The more I play my campaign) That the western areas for the dwarves are manageable, so it does add a bit of realism... I think either way is good with me ...

I thought of maybe giving the miners a two handed mattock. Making them kinda like the Eastern European axe mlitia for MTW2. Sort of a heavy militia unit... Just an idea though

Another idea I had for a faction would be,

The Shire (Nonplayable)

Why: Make them sort of an independant neutral area that support's itself, but make the land very wealthy. To represent how they really were...

Settlements: The Shire (Give them multiple placeholder buildings that increase the weath of the region)

Culture: Northmen

Units:
    1. Hobbit Militia: Hobbit farmers armed with pitchforks
    2. Hobbit Sherrifs (Spelt right?): Local hobbit law enforcment, armed with a staff and able to throw rocks. Flamboyantly dressed
    3. Hobbit Archers: Same as with Eriador (But give them barefeet )
    5. "Border watchers": Hobbits may be peacefull but they aren't ignorant, knowing that many people would wish to take their wealth, they hire local men from Bree and the Southfathing to watch and protect their borders. Make them armed with a Club/Short Sword/Hand-Axe and a small wooden buckler...
    6. Dunedain Rangers: The Shire's Elite (Multipurpose) Gaurdians. Make them equiped the same way they are with Eriador...

Give me some feedback , tell me what you think...
    RTR RULES!!!!

Hengest's Avatar It's a joke

there were no northmen in Eriador

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Yes, they were Middle Men. Northmen were also Middle Men but they lived in Rhovanion. Middle Men of Eriador were mostly people related to Dunlendings and Bree-landers.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Well, these factions wouldn't have a great variety of units....

Quote Originally Posted by Varjon View Post
    Yes, they were Middle Men. Northmen were also Middle Men but they lived in Rhovanion. Middle Men of Eriador were mostly people related to Dunlendings and Bree-landers.
    Yes, and hobbits were classified in that section as well. The Appendix of the RotK refers to the Northmen and Hobbits of Arnor as "Lesser Men" compared to the Dunedain...

Another concept to add to the Shire would be to divide it into multiple regions such as Hobbiton and Buckland, Greenfields, and the already present Michel Delving....
    RTR RULES!!!!

Eriagon's Avatar Centenarius

You should remove Dwarven Rangers and Human Guards for The Shire, there are no backup in lore for the Rangers, and the Shirefolks took care of their own borderguard, the Bounders. I really don't think that the Hobbits should recruit rangers, they had no idea that they guarded their land.

Quote Originally Posted by Eriagon View Post
    You should remove Dwarven Rangers and Human Guards for The Shire, there are no backup in lore for the Rangers, and the Shirefolks took care of their own borderguard, the Bounders. I really don't think that the Hobbits should recruit rangers, they had no idea that they guarded their land.
    Yeah, the Dwarven Ranger was something I saw on some other LotR site. You could buy little Dwarvish figurines, and a few of them were Rangers... Your right about the Human Gaurds, and now that I think about it, if they would of had humans gaurding them, the ruffians of South-Farthing wouldn't have taken over ... That's also a good point about the Dunedain, in fact the few the Hobbit's new about, they didn't like. They looked at them as Strangers...

But now, what about Hobbit Pony Riders ?
    RTR RULES!!!!

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar Gubius View Post
    Yes, and hobbits were classified in that section as well. The Appendix of the RotK refers to the Northmen and Hobbits of Arnor as "Lesser Men" compared to the Dunedain...

Another concept to add to the Shire would be to divide it into multiple regions such as Hobbiton and Buckland, Greenfields, and the already present Michel Delving....
    Hobbits weren't Middle Men, they were in their own category like Drúedain (not in the same as them, though).

Best way to do separating would be having four regions in the Shire (Southfarthing, Westfarthing, Northfarthing and Eastfarthing) and one in the Buckland.

The Sixth Wizard's Avatar Semisalis

I like the idea of having quite a few sub-factions which replace rebel settlements but aren't main players in the game. Either that, or make rebels more powerful. For example the Beornings would probably never be attacked and destroyed by the Elves lore-wise.
    Third Age: Total War! (!!!!)

Yes, The Shire should be a faction of its own right. But playable , as vassal of Eriador. There could be a greater variety of units, since hobbits may not be a very aggressiv people but they seem to be able to defend The Shire, if I remember right.

Units:
    1. Hobbit Countryfolks (Your stated Militia) - armed with pitchforks.
    2. Hobbit Militia - armed with spears, perhaps pikes, or better javelins?.
    3. Hobbit Slingers; as basic long range unit they trow stones...
    4. Hobbit Archers, as Your suggestion.
    5. Hobbit Scouts - sitting on ponies this could be the - not very firm - basic and only unit of cavalry of hobbits.
    6. Hobbit Sheriffs - as you suggests, but only a few units, perhaps one per province.
    7. Hobbits Border Watch as the "Hobbit fighters elite"... small but with good moral (and lesser fighting skill as the elites of other factions).

I think not that Dunedain Rangers should be a unit of Hobbits, but for gameplay reasons it may be that without any taller human being The Shire would be to weak...

Me and JorisofHolland are currently working on a Beorning faction, join the user group by sending me a pm if you want to help:

Vale of Anduin

Why: Because there are currently a lot of rebel settlements in the Vale of Anduin, at the moment those rebel settlements are easy to conquer for the Silvan Elves and the Orcs of the Misty Mountains. Adding a Vale of Anduin faction will limit their expansion. Also, the Beornings must have been pretty strong since they guarded the High Pass and the Carrock and they had Beorn and later his son Grimbeorn as chieftain. The faction is also interesting due to the many peoples inhabiting it: Beornings, Woodmen, Hobbits, Radagast, Eagles and inhabitans of Framsburg.

Status: Allied to the Silvan Elves and Dale, at war with Mordor and Orcs of the Misty Mountains.

Settlements:
    Framsburg = Upper Vale of Anduin
    Beorn's Halls = Carrock
    Ninglor = Gladden Fields
    Grimburg = Vale of Anduin
    Rhosgobel = Western eaves of Mirkwood

Culture: Northmen

Units:

Name: Mirkwood Hunters
    Troops: 40
    Rating: 3/10, Militia
    Weapons and Equipment: Bow, Knife, Leather Armour
    Short Unit Description: Not the best archers to be found in Middle-earth, but they have gained some experience from hunting on animals.
    Long Unit Description:

Name: Mirkwood Spearmen
    Rating: 4/10, Regular
    Weapons and Equipment: Spear, Shield, Leather Armour
    Short Unit Description: Mirkwood Spearmen are only slightly armoured, but many long years in the woods have made them fierce fighters.
    Long Unit Description:

Name: Woodmen Warriors
    Rating: 4/10, Regular
    Weapons and Equipment: Axe, Shield, Leather Armour
    Short Unit Description: Woodmen Warriors are decent soldiers who, due to their long lives in the woods have became good ambushers.
    Long Unit Description:

Name: Beorning Longbowmen
    Rating: 5/10, Regular
    Weapons and Equipment: Bow, Knife, Leather Armour, Helmet
    Short Unit Description: Though not professional soldiers, the Beorning Longbowmen surely know how to shoot with a bow.
    Long Unit Description:

Name: Framsburg Guard
    Rating: 5/10, Regular
    Weapons and Equipment: Sword, Shield, Mail Armour, Helmet
    Short Unit Description: Decent warriors who have become alert Men due to the many evil creatures who roam in the north.
    Long Unit Description:

Name: Guardians of the Carrock
    Troops: 20
    Rating: 7/10, Superior
    Weapons and Equipment: Sword, Throwing Spears, Shield, Mail Armour, Helmet
    Short Unit Description: The Guardians of the Carrock are excellent skirmish troops who also know how to handle a sword.
    Long Unit Description:

Name: Eothéod Riders
    Rating: 8/10, Superior
    Weapons and Equipment: Spear, Shield, Mail Armour, Helmet
    Short Unit Description: This are descendants of the Men of Rhovanion, that has given them a natural talent for riding horses.
    Long Unit Description:

Name: Rhosgobel Sentinels
    Rating: 8/10, Superior
    Weapons and Equipment: Spear, Shield, Mail Armour, Helmet
    Short Unit Description: Fully armoured troops who are responsible for the defense of Rhosgobel and the surrounding lands.
    Long Unit Description:

Name: Beorning Berserkers
    Rating: 9/10, Elite
    Weapons and Equipment: Axe
    Short Unit Description: These Men wear no armour because it would limit their ability to fully swing with their great axe.
    Long Unit Description:

Extra Information:

Diplomat
    Radagast the Brown, Aiwendil, Bird-friend, Tender of Beasts

Spies
    Lord of the Eagles, Great Eagle, King of All Birds
    Gwaihir, Windlord
    Landrovel, Wide-wing
    Meneldor, Sky-king

Generals
    Beorn
    Grimbeorn the Old

Traits
    Chieftain of the Beornings
    Heir of the Beornings
    Skin-changer
    Beorning
    Woodmen
    Eothéod
    Northmen

Ancillaries
    Bear
    Great Eagle
    Guardian of the High Pass
    Guardian of the Carrock
    Radagast
    Yew Bow
    Silvan Elf

Faction Symbol
    Bear claw and an Eagle
    Last edited by Elphir of Dol Amroth; May 06, 2009 at 08:58 AM.

i like the idea of a vale of anduin faction but why do they have hobbits?
    as far as i know no hobbits lived at the time of tatw at anduin

Not in the Gladden Fields anymore yes, but as far as I know Tolkien never described were they went to or if they died out completely, so I assumed that they still must live there somewhere in the Anduin Vale.

Edit: Hobbits are not certain, will have to search in some books about them, for now I will remove the Hobbits.
    Last edited by Elphir of Dol Amroth; May 06, 2009 at 08:57 AM.

I like the idea of the Vale of Anduin faction as it will help keep the OoMM at bay (who seam to be a massive powerhouse in my games). However they should not have hobbits as IIRC Beorn asked What Bilbo was rather than who he was implying that he hadn't seen a hobbit before.
    Last edited by kai; May 06, 2009 at 08:48 AM.
    Want your Nazgul to live forever? Click Here!!

JorisofHolland's Avatar Primicerius

The lands were really wild at that time till Beorn gathered men and started to keep of orcs. They might have lived only a few miles away. We don't know it.
    The Enemy of Human Souls
    Sat grieving at the cost of coals;
    For Hell had been annexed of late,
    And was a sovereign Southern State.

Beorn seams like the kind of guy to travel a lot though (he made it all the way to the lonely mountain for starters) but your right we are in the realm of conjecture here so I suppose if people wanted them halflings could be justified.

About the hobbits ,it says in Unfinished Tales, in The Hunt for the Ring that the Nazgul found hobbit settlements in the Gladden fields.

Ah, ok. Obviously an explicit reference takes priority over a vague implication, so I stand corrected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast