Thread: Going to Boston in a few weeks.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Default Going to Boston in a few weeks.

What to see, what to do, what to avoid?

I'm a history buff so I'm going to do that. I'll probably also check out the Sam Adams brewery.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Default Re: Going to Boston in a few weeks.

Don't really have anything to recommend as I've never been there, but I know that if I'd go, I'd cruise around the place all day while listening to:

I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Don't really have anything to recommend as I've never been there, but I know that if I'd go, I'd cruise around the place all day while listening to:

Those are the s responsible for that ing song? ing mothering pieces of ing .

Translation, screw boston, just cruise around lovecraft country.

There's tons of great stuff to see in Boston. The easiest way to see many of the historical sights would be on the freedom trail. You can get a guided tour or just walk it on your own. Here are the things you can see on it. It's 2.5 miles long so be ready to walk if you plan on doing the whole thing. I think the USS Constitution (also on the freedom trail) should be running tours by now, that's always cool. Even if you don't walk the freedom trail, that link has a lot of historical stuff that you can see.

Ferry service to the Boston harbor islands begins May 9th. If you want to check them out Georges Island is cool, it has an old Civil War star fort on it.

If you like ancient Egyptian, Greek, and Roman history, then definitely check out the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. They have a surprisingly good collection of ancient artwork and artifacts from around the world. Giant Sumerian tablets, ancient Egyptian Sarcophagus', a well preserved hoplon, Greek amphora, busts and statues galore. I can spend an entire day in the ancient history section alone. They of course also have the Monet's and Renoir's and a huge variety of other paintings and sculpture. It's easy to get to the MFA on the green line.

If you are just looking for a place to just sit outside for a bit I'd skip the common and head across the street to the Boston public garden. It's a lot nicer and is very well kept.

Duck Tours seem popular, but I've never been on one so I can't comment on it.

So, these are some of the most popular things to see, but there is a ton of other stuff too.

Lets see though, things to avoid. Avoid wearing any NY Yankees paraphernalia. Actually don't wear any gear from any New York team. The Sox fans are crazy.

The Museum of Science is alright, but it's geared toward more of a younger crowd. It usually has a lot of field trips etc. It's alright, but I wouldn't put it high on the things to see.

The Aquarium is decent too, but it's also usually full of crazy field trip kids.

I'd probably avoid the bars and clubs on Landsdowne St. They are decent clubs, but the area is a little sketchy and it's by the stadium. So if there is a Sox game the place is going to be full of baseball hooligans. Anyway, there's better nightlife closer in the city, IMO.

Anyway, there is a bunch more stuff to go that what I just listed, but this should give you some ideas.

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing. Boston has great public transportation, so if you don't feel like driving in the city, the T (subway) can get you to everywhere you need to go.
    Last edited by Old_Scratch; May 05, 2009 at 02:28 PM.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Lets see though, things to avoid. Avoid wearing any NY Yankees paraphernalia. Actually don't wear any gear from any New York team. The Sox fans are crazy.
    I wouldn't be caught dead with that new yorker Guido wear. I'm from Philly, so we are united in our hatred for NYC, especially for it stealing our collective importance.

New York is a Tory state!

Thanks for the advice though. Definitely checking out the U.S.S. Constitution and assorted maritime things. Checking out on the map, I'll have Boston covered by foot on the first day

What a tiny city!

I'm not sure if this applies for all the roads in MA but I found them to be very poorly marked. I mean, the highways. So, be careful if you're going there at night or if it's raining. The i-90 was pretty bad...

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Quote Originally Posted by John I Tzimisces View Post
    I'm not sure if this applies for all the roads in MA but I found them to be very poorly marked. I mean, the highways. So, be careful if you're going there at night or if it's raining. The i-90 was pretty bad...
    Yes I might get lost, go around a wrong turn and witness something that makes me go insane.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Those are the s responsible for that ing song? ing mothering pieces of ing .

Translation, screw boston, just cruise around lovecraft country.

Epic.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

The town is extremely small. Lived there for 5 years and would walk from the Kenmore Square over near BU across town to the Northend daily. As well as take weekend strolls over to Harvard Square. I believe the city is something like 4 miles across or less.

Old_Scratch gave you a pretty good over view of what you can do, I'll just add some from my experiences and what I enjoyed doing.

If you go to the Cemetery over the old North Church you can pick up a guided tour of both the cemetery and then out and down to Quincy Market. Quincy Market is part of the old wharf area and is the location of the British State house and Faneuil Hall. Lots of food and shopping here, as well as the portal to the Northend. If you walk past Faneuil Hall, after visiting Quincy Market, along Union street, you'll see a Holocaust monument and parallel this, quite ironically, is a street with many decent old pubs on it.

The Northend is the traditional Italian district, lots of old apartments and decent restaurants can be found around here.

There is a tour called, 'The Duck Boat Tour' which is basically a bunch of refab WWII amphibious landing craft turned into tour buses that drive around the city then into the Charles River for some decent sight seeing.

I'll be really surprised if you find the actual location of the Boston Tea Party. I'm not even sure if its on the Freedom Trail. Its down in the financial district over near South Station and is comemorated by a simple plaque on the wall of a building. Most of the city is land fill.

Speaking of which, a walk down Newbury Street is also in order. Lots of posh shops which get a bit hipper as you near the Kenmore Square area. This will lead you down towards Fenway Park as well.

Basically, find a map and wander around the city. There is so much to see and places to eat and peek into.

I'd say avoid Cheers, its not worth it, definitely take some time to check out all the statues in the Boston Gardens, and I recommend eating at Legal Seafood or La Familias if you have the money. If not, all the dives I knew when I lived there in the 90's are gone by now.

Oh, except behind Fenway park. During a game they set up something akin to a street faire back there where they sell sauges and hot dogs and all sorts of goodies.

Most of all, have fun!
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

We have those duck tours in Philly too.

Boston is a blast! Here's a few tips:

1 - Go on a Duck Tour. They are quirky and stupid, but they are also a lot of fun and you get to see some neat stuff like Boston from the Charles River.
    2 - Walk the Freedom Trail. It's kind of long, but you see a ton of cool stuff and a lot of it is free or relatively inexpensive.
    3 - Eat lunch (or dinner) in the North End if you like Italian Food. You'll end up there during the Freedom Trail so you can make it a part of that!
    4 - Visit the USS Constitution. Worth every penny.
    5 - Get drinks or dinner at Top of the Hub at least one night while there. Great view of the city and after 9/11 the only other observation deck was shut down.
    6 - Go to Red Sox game. Be prepared to shell out $100+ per seat, but sometimes you can get in a little cheaper than that. It's one of the best sporting experiences you can have outside a championship setting.
    7 - Tour the Boston State House and walk through Boston Common. Both are relaxing fun, and have some cool historical artifacts to check out.
    8 - Don't drive.
    9 - Be prepared for the extensive work on the subways and expect crowded situations if you're taking the subway in from the airport in particular.
    10 - Instead of going to dinner one night consider going to lots of the little bars and Tapas places on Newberry street. Get an early start and just slowly make your way down Newberry. You'll be full and you'll get to break up the dreaded "shopping" component of your trip to Boston.
    BONUS 11 - Go on a whale watching tour. It takes a few hours, but it's well worth it. We saw about 6 whales when we went out and it was a lot of fun to be on the bow of the ship skimming out of Boston Harbor.
    Most of all just relax and have fun.

I say of course go to Watertown and find some nice armenian food and or restaurants

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

I say of course go to Watertown and find some nice armenian food and or restaurants
    What, and have my car jacked and set on fire?

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Boeing View Post
    What, and have my car jacked and set on fire?
    Oh come on, they aren't that evil.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I wanna go to the US.
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Quote Originally Posted by Arto Bedrosian View Post
    Oh come on, they aren't that evil.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I wanna go to the US.
    Yes they are, they send their women out with their large breasticles and whatnot, holding plates of lamajohn and kebabs, and as you're distracted they steal your car.

And pants, an Armenian stole my pants once too.

Long story.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Do you know where your staying when you get into Boston? More like the area of town as opposed to the exact place.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    Do you know where your staying when you get into Boston? More like the area of town as opposed to the exact place.
    I was looking into a bed and breakfast in Beacon Hill