Thread: [Rohan AAR]"Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered!" UPDATE:BATTLE OF NAN CURUNIR

Default [Rohan AAR]"Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered!" UPDATE:BATTLE OF NAN CURUNIR

Hi everyone!
    The first Rohan-AAR was deleted so I thought I'll give it a try. This is my first AAR so if you have any suggestions or critisism feel free to post it and sorry for any spelling mistakes but english is not my first language.

I will start posting today but I don't know how fast the process will be (a lot of exams at the moment)

INTRO: Bad News
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Thengel, the king of Rohan, stood in front of Meduseld in Edoras. He looked down at his people, beeing busy in the streets of his capital. It was a sunny day and the nickers of the horses in the stables mixed up with the barks of dogs running through the streets and the tweets of birds sitting on the roofs of the straw-covered houses. The people of Rohan were living in peace for a long time and Thengel's alliance with Lord Ecthelion of Gondor was as strong as it could be.
    It was one of those days where people would enjoy their lifes. And so did the people of Edoras. Except their king. There was something dark which made the king feel uncomfortable.He looked up at the sky following the flight of an eagle to the east. And suddenly Thengel freezed. The sky in the east was filled with dark clouds with a deep red dust around them. 'This is no earthly weather! A dark power must be at control of this!', Thengel said quietly.
    Later that day, when Thengel had dinner, one of his servants informed him that a scout just arrived from his mission in Duneland and needed to talk to the King. "Let him in", Thengel answered, interested about the news the scout would have. The scout came up to Thengel and bowed. "My king", he opened, "I bring news from or northern borders."
    "So let me her those news, Rohirrim."
    The scout started:"The Dunelandings seem not to make any attempt to invade in our territory. I told the young general Gamling in Gineard to sent news if the situation gets dangerous. But there is..."
    "Well that are good news for Rohan", Thengel interrupted, "why did you want to report instantly? What is your name, scout?"
    "My name is Healdan, my king, and the reason for my hurry is both terrifying and shocking. It seems that Saruman has betrayed everything good in Middle-Earth. When I rode back from Duneland I saw smoke rising from Isengard. I turned my horse to see what was going on there and when I got closer I saw orcs cutting down trees and carrying them behind the walls. And I saw some creatures I never saw before. They look like orcs butare as tall as men and move like them. I have no doubt that Saruman is building up an army."
    "This is indeed a reason to hurry", the king answered, "you may go now and rest, Healdan." Healdan bowed and went out of the hall.
    That night Thengel had trouble to sleep. His head was full of thoughts about an upcoming war and he was thinking about every possibility he had. When he finally fell asleep, he dreamed of a man riding over a grassland. Suddenly the grass was gone and the ground was dry and sandy. A white person was approaching the rider and when they met he said:" There is no dawn...for men!"
    Then Thengel woke up and he had come to a decision.

I would like to know your opinion whether I should continue or not because if you don't like it anyway there's no sense in continuing

PART I/1: Arise! Arise Riders of Rohan!

After that sleepless night Thengel had made his decision. At around midday his generals and the highest members of the council came to Meduseld to discuss the King's plans.
    Thengel opened the meeting:"My Lords, thank you for your coming. Darkness arrises and things need to be done to prevent our kingdom from its fall and it needs to be done quick."
    Nargelm, an young council member, took the word:" My King, I suggest sending an ambassador to Isengard. Maybe Saruman is not interested in war."
    "But what if he is?", Thengel replied, "My plan is to send Cynegels to Isengard. He is our best spy and he sure will collect enough information to plan our next steps."
    Most of the attenders agreed on this plan. But one general was not satisfied with this solution. His name was Heruwine and he took the word:" My King, I suggest building an army strong enough to defend our lands against Isengard. We shall be prepared if Cynegels brings bad news."
    Thengel, suprised of this objection, thought for a momentand then answered:" I believe he is right. If Saruman really is out for war we may not lose any time. Send news to Gamling in Gineard and to Egbert in Foldburg. They should recruite as many troops as possible and then move to Isengard together. All troops that are not neccessarily needed in the cities should be sent as reinforcements to Gamling and Egbert. If Cynegels finds out that Saruman is really building an army they should attack as quick as possible."
    So messengers were sent to all cities in Rohan bringing news of a possible upcoming war. To make the troops move quicker many roads were newly build.

Also the different Lords executed Thengels orders and built up as many troops as possible. The army was now strong enough to face Isengard if neccessary, although Rohan's economy had nearly broken down.

SUB-PLOT: Cynegels' Mission

The evening after King Thengel discussed his plans with his generals Cynegels was informed about his new mission. As he was a brave man he just thought about this mission as a difficult challenge, not letting any thoughts about the dangers that awaited him in his mind.
    After a day of preparation Cynegel was ready to go. Before he left King Thengel approached him.
    "Cynegel, wait a moment!" "Yes my King?" "I want to personally thank you for taking that mission. I know you will not let me down! Now go, go with the best wishes of all people of Rohan!"
    So Cynegels started his journey to Isengard. He was accompanied by Healdan who did this on his own will. In every town or city they passed the people were busy preparing for war and those who recognized them wished them luck and gave them presents. Their further journey proceeded quite uneventful.

When they got close to Isengard they tied their horses to a tree far enough from the walls. With the horses out of sight Cynegels and Healdan moved closer to the walls, hiding behind the remaining trees.
    "Stop here!", Cynegels whispered to Healdan when there were only 300 foot left between them and the walls. "Look boy, here's the plan", Cynegels said, "You stay here and protect the horses..."
    "What?! No I can..."
    "PSSST! You fool! Just blow in your horn if you want to fight some orcs. Now listen! I'll move over the wall there and have a look around in there. If I somehow get discovered I blow in my horn. Then you run to your horse and inform Egbert and Gamling, their armies should be on the way in our direction. Got everything?"
    "But I could come with you."
    "No, I am faster alone. See you later." Cynegels twinkled at Healdan and the next thing Healdan saw was a shadow climbing over the wall.

When Cynegels jump off the wall he quickly rolled behind some boxes. He observed the situation for a moment and as there was no enemy in sight he sneaked behind a carriage. Again he looked around. There was a big hole in the ground about 150 foot north of him. He could see red light wavering in the hole and smoke rising from it. He could also hear noises coming out from the hole, some sounded like pieces of metal clashing on each other and some sounded like orcs. He could recognize this sound out of thousands. 'I need to see this.' ,he thought. But just before he was going to leave his cover he heard two voices behind him. He instinctively rolled under the carriage. 'Orc scum', he thought, 'they always arrive at the most unfitting time.'
    "Damn Uruks", one orc said, "just 'cause they're stronger than us we have to do the dirty work."
    "Be quiet you idiot" the other orc said, obviously scared by the words of his fellow, "just take your box and move it, Ashnak!"
    "You're such a wimp, Kronk!"
    After the orcs were gone Cynegels cautiosly moved out of his cover. He wanted to finish this quick now that he has almost been caught. Aware of the risk of being seen by someone he sprinted over to the hole and laid down behind some wodden lying around. Underneath him he could see a ramp going down deep in the earth. On the ramp stood some creatures he did not know. 'This must be what that scum was talking about. A new race of orcs.'

He had seen enough and so he movedback to the carriage he came from. When he just left his cover at the carriage the two orcs who interrupted him before came out of a tent nearby, both still carrying boxes. When they saw him Kronk just dropped his box and ran away screaming in panic. Ashnak threw the box away and drew his sword but Cynegels threw his dagger right into Ashnak's throat.
    Kronk's screams had alarmed the other orcs. Cynegels hurried to get to the walls. When he turned around he saw about one-hundred orcs following him. He was wondering if even Saruman in his high tower would have heard this annoying scream of Kronk. When he reached the top of the wall he heard a scream to his right and when he turned his head he just saw an orc ready to blow his head off. But in the same second an arrow hit the orc. Healdan had also heard the screams and had come closer to the walls. "You just made my day, boy!", Cynegels said after he had jumped off that wall. "We need to inform Egbert. Saruman is building an army and...arrgh!" An arrow had just hit him in the back. Cynegels fell to his knees. Healdan wanted to carry him to the horses but Cynegels ordered him to go:" Go! You need to escape and bring the information to our generals!" With a tear in his eye Healdan ran to his horse and galloped to Egbert. 'This will be revenged!'

PART I/2: The war begins!

Healdan arrived at Egbert's camp at night. One of the guards stopped him at the entrance of the camp.
    "What do you want here, rider?"
    "My name is Healdan. I was on a mission with Cynegels, our spy. I need to talk to Egbert, now!"
    "You may pass.", the guard replied.
    Egbert was sitting at a table in his tent studying a map of Isengard when Healdan entered.
    "My Lord, I bring news from Isengard."
    "Then your mission was a success?"
    "Rather not.", Healdan said and his head bent down.
    "What does that mean? Do you have any information?"
    "Yes my Lord. But Cynegels paid for it with his life."
    Egbert's face filled with sadness. "This is indeed anything else than a success. But he was a brave man and his dead will be revenged!"
    "My Lord, an army is built in Isengard. We need to prepare ourselves!"
    "We will! I know you are tired but I need your service now. Ride to Gamling and tell him your story. Inform him that we attack Isengard. We should unite our troops before crossing their borders. Now go."
    Healdan left and Egbert told his captains to tell the troops that they would march out in the early morning.

When they reached the borders of Isengard, they could see smoke rising from Nan Curunir.
    "We will stop here and wait for Gamling and his troops. They should be close already.", Egbert ordered and while his troops were resting he sent some scouts closer to Nan Curunir to look for any enemy nearing his army.

After some days Gamling finally arrived with his army. He was a young fearless general who would follow his King's will blindly.
    "Egbert, my friend! What is the situation like?", he asked, approaching Egbert who was standing on a small hill looking to the north.
    "I am glad you finally arrived, Gamling. I do not know how strong the enemy forces are by now. But our scouts did not report any movement of toops. I believe our presence is unknown to them."
    "Well, that gives us a good position. Give my men a few days to rest. Then we should launch our attack."
    "So it shall be!"

Three day later Gamling's men were rested and the Rohan army march to Nan Curunir. When they got closer two scouts approached the advance guard, each one having a sack on his horse.
    "What is this you bring to us?", Gamling asked. The scouts threw the sacks to the ground and opened them. Out came two orcs they had captured in the remaining forest at the outskirts of Nan Curunir.
    "We thought they would be useful for getting information, my Lord.", one of the scouts said.
    "Well tell you nothin', horsemen scum!" "Shut up Ashnak! Do you want to be killed?!" "They'll do it anyway, Kronk!"
    "Be quiet! Both of you!", Gamling shouted. "I doubt that they will tell us anything by now. Maybe they tell us more when we 'politely interrogate' them. Keep them as prisoners for now!"
    "Well then. Now move. Let us start to siege the traitor!", Egbert shouted. The Rohirrim cheered and moved closer to the walls.

About two weeks later when Egbert and Gamling were observing the completion of the siege equipment a scout came running towards them.
    "My Lords! My Lords, the gate was opened. The enemy is moving. They are coming out of the city!"
    "Those fools!", Gamling laughed. "Do they not know that our cavalry is unbeaten on the open field?"
    "I would bet they know! And I would also bet they have a plan. These are no normal orcs. The scout in Thengel's Hall, Healdan, talked about creatures he had never seen before. I believe this battle will not be as easy as it seems." Egbert walked away with a concerned look on his face. After preperations for the battle had been made the Rohirrim, lead by Egbert and Gamling, mached towards the gate.

PART II: The Battle of Nan Curunir

When they got closer to the walls they noticed that the gate was actually closed again. Egbert ordered
    the troops to stop. He, Gamling and their bodyguards rode towards the gate. On the wall right to the
    gate stood one of those unknown creatures.
    “You have no business here, horseman. Go back to your lands!”
    “I am Egbert, Lord of the Foldburg and general of Rohan. The army of Isengard should disband and
    the traitor Saruman should give Isengard to the Kingdom of Rohan.”
    The creature laughed loudly. “I am Mauthak, heir of Isengard. Go back to your lands. We are the
    fighting Uruk-Hai. And we are the end of mankind!”
    “Surrender or we will leave none alive!” , Gamling shouted with anger in his voice.
    “We will make you and your foolish fellows suffer! Uruk-Hai! To war!”
    A massive and terrifying cheer could be heard from behind the walls and the gate opened. The
    generals quickly rode back to their army and gave orders.
    “Leave the ram and the tower. Militia, line up in front of the archers! Riders on the left flank, quick!”
    The troops lined up and awaited the approaching enemy.

Egbert noticed that one battalion of Uruks was moving faster towards his army than the others and
    he saw the chance to take out some enemies easily. “Gamling, take those Uruks out!”
    Without any hesitation Gamling galloped forwards crushing right into the right flank of the Uruks.

After Gamling and his bodyguards had taken out most of the Uruks the unit routed. But he could not
    chase them down as the main body of the Isengard army was coming closer. He positioned on the
    left flank next to Egbert. “They send the Snaga-scum first” , Egbert said while observing the enemy’s
    movements. “Archers. Open fire!”
    A wave of arrows glided down on the approaching Snagas, killing many before they could reach the
    line of Militia.

“My Lord, the Uruk - Pikemen are moving towards our infantry. What shall we do?”
    “Let the archers aim on them. Our militia will face the remaining snagas.” , Egbert answered.
    While the archers reaimed, the Snagas and the Rohan Militia clashed together. It was a brutal fight
    but the Militia stood its ground and held the Snagas away from the archers.
    When the Uruk – Pikemen were almost killed by the archers Mauthak and 500 Uruk – Swordsmen
    moved towards the Rohan archers, leaving their own archers defenseless. Gamling took this
    opportunity and charged towards them with his bodyguards. Egbert and the rest of the cavalry went
    in position to attack the Uruks from behind. The Snagas were all killed and as the archers had already
    decimated the pikemen it was not a big challenge for the remaining Militia to take them out. When
    they attacked the Uruk – Swordsmen Egbert charged with his riders, crushing into the Uruks from
    behind.

Egbert looked for Mauthak. He was fighting at the frontline, killing one Rohirrim after the other.
    Egbert screamed his name and charged at him. When their swords met Egbert fell off from his horse.
    Mauthak came towards Egbert and prepared a strike strong enough to cut his head off. But Egbert
    ducked and in one move rolled behind Mauthak. He drew his knife and stabbed it in the Uruk’s neck.
    He held his sword in the air to show his victory. But it was a short moment of victory as one Uruk
    hit with his sword in the stomach. Egbert fell. He landed on his back and was gasping for air. Some of
    the Rohirrim routed when they saw their general die.

But those who kept fighting fought with an even bigger fury and aggression. And when Gamling had
    finished the archers and charged right into the Uruks the battle was decided.

Isengard was pacified and its danger was eliminated. But the Rohirrim did not celebrate their victory.
    Too high were the casualties they had made.

Last edited by King Kily; May 05, 2009 at 01:18 PM.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Rohan AAR]"Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered!"

Sure there is a sense in continuing it anyways, cause you write it for your pleasure

I'm looking forward to read more of it, because I'm interested in how Rohan develops between the fronts and I for myself have not time to experiece it atm because of my High-Elven campaign.

Default Re: [Rohan AAR]"Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered!" UPDATE INTRO + PART1 + SIDESTORY

updated the following actions against isengard including the battle of nan curunir will be up tomorrow i hope
    Last edited by King Kily; May 04, 2009 at 05:29 PM.

Default Re: [Rohan AAR]"Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered!" UPDATE INTRO + PART1 + SIDESTORY

hmmm, i know i took out rohan in btw/ turn 15 and 20. quite easy, i took fangorn ost edhil tharbad, built armies sent to gineard and foldburg took em called and invasion on edoras sent gineard army to ador and derwuth(or something like that) and then had onother army trained and took helms deep. all that and had not lost but 1 battle!(no lie). now i am in western gondor turn 57-58 i hav dol amroth, i hav mordor assembling to attack w. osgiliath and my regions stretch from woldburg-that one town near the sea(in former rohan region).I bought the farthest settlement in harad and waiting to lvl up that town. and dont even get me started with my high elves campaign, *fwooo!*

Default Re: [Rohan AAR]"Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered!" FINISHED UP TO BATTLE OF ISENGARD

another update^^

Default Re: [Rohan AAR]"Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered!" UPDATE:BATTLE OF NAN CURUNIR

don't know if anyone is interested but there's the next chapter
    pls comment on it

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Rohan AAR]"Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered!" UPDATE:BATTLE OF NAN CURUNIR

+rep
    I'll keep on reading it.

well done