Thread: [Silvan AAR] - The Last Stand - Chapter Two Update

Default [Silvan AAR] - The Last Stand - Chapter Two Update

My first AAR attempt with possibly my favourite faction that I've truely played, so criticism will be welcomed with tea and crumpets. Im sorry about the quality of some of the screenshots, I'm new at this. I'll update it whenever I can, though a majority of the next main storyline is already completed in game, so it shouldn't be too long.

Faction: Silvan Elves
    Difficulty: VH/VH
    Sub Mods: Mithmod and Real Combat by Mithrandir and Point Blank

Prelude - The Forest Watches

“My Lords and my Ladies, both noble and small within our ancient culture, all have been gathered today to discuss the matters of the time, the age and the future,” The elf addressing the contingent gleamed resplendent in the finery of high lineage; aura so resounding that with the briefest glance he was assumed a prince by any foreigner, “These matters shall shape not just the course of our Elven kindred, the dominion of men or even the entirety of Middle Earth’s free peoples. No, they shall direct the course of Middle Earth itself.” With a gesture invigorated with passion the Silvan prince drew notice to the score of nobles behind him, seated and clothed as heroes of old, the King Thranduil atop his throne.

“The wise agree, as do all our people. The state of the world has run too far into the shadow, darkness cloaking us as a storm does to the treetops! But the forest watches my brothers, and black dreams are all it can see. Orcs roam and raid from the Misty Mountains, pillaging and slaughtering the innocents with sheer malice."

“No fear plagues them that once the Elves did evoke in yesteryears past, and they run amok from their mountain tops with nothing but doom on their blades!”

“Dol Guldur, the foulest of strongholds of the Dark Lord bears ill fruit and terror to the forest, the Nazgul slave leading hosts of orcs and foul things across the wonder that once grew here.”

“The forces of Mordor march, and with it the death and damnation come twofold as a cloud blighting the sun of all good peoples. Soon the fury of fire and Sauron will be uncontainable…and then all hope will be lost amongst brimstone and lighting”

“The only barrier to the evil of night stand the realms of men, that most unreliable of bastions. And yet they fight alone, the cracked dam of defiance that holds back the flood of darkness.” A look of almost immense sadness crossed the Prince Legolas's face at that moment, before an expression of radiant determination overtook his features.

“Why should man make this struggle alone. What has happened to the elder glories? What has happened to the elven arrow and blade and bow? Why do we sit idle, and watch as hate slowly envelops the land. I say it is time my kindred. It is time we elves stood for the values of old, and joined the war in hope for a better tomorrow. A tomorrow of prosperity and wisdom within the earth and all it’s beauty. It is time brothers, find your swords and your armour, for battle is nigh! The Last Stand of the Elves is nigh!

Last edited by Bucket of Lithium; May 08, 2009 at 01:16 AM.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: [Silvan AAR] - The Last Stand

I like your style of writing

Very good i'll keep an eye out
    Name is steam account name.

Altho...i'm not very good

perty good dude, i thot the silvan elves sucked cuz there warriors suk at the beginning. the only army to me thats good is one of heavily armoured Galadrihm of Caras-Galadhon lead by haldir!( O yeaaaaah.
    Last edited by Rugulator7; May 05, 2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: ?

Default Re: [Silvan AAR] - The Last Stand - Intro Up

Chapter 1 - Black Blood Cleanses

Official Royal Letter from King Thranduil to General Haldir of the Galadrihm,

Haldir,
    The moment has come and the forest floor shudders under the footsteps of our men. The Elves march once more, and the forest stirs with us. Good fortune shines upon us, and the leaves watch over us. Legolas's strategy has thus far proved successful, yet my doubts over our headstrong prince grow everyday. Arrogance will creep into the ranks under my son; reckless men performing reckless deeds. Celeborn has kept watch over him well enough, although persuading our dear ring bearer to forsake his glorious Lorien and Galadriel was most difficult.

The march north has proved fortuitous, the joint force liberating Beorning land in aid of our war efforts. The men in Amon Gastal have quickly converted to our cause, understanding our true goal. Hopefully the beornings will hold off the orcish threat from the west, the watching trees gazing to the east as they are. Celeborn is a worthy enough figurehead for our efforts there, and the growth has indeed been swift there. A palisade has been constructed to better defend the beorning farmlands and hovels; Celeborn, bereft of any modesty, quickly showing our peasant friends the arts of culture.

However...it would seem that Celeborn has become too affiliated with my sons war efforts, most unlike his character. He has gifted Legolas with Nenya, a strange turn of events I’m sure you will agree. To forsake his ladies ring...to my son, even my mind cannot decipher his reasoning as of now.

Speaking of Legolas, even within men I believed were mine has he added to his forces. You may remember Erynion, the elder son of Erynionelon. A valiant lad, and a distant relative it would seem. I adopted his as mine own when his father passed a summer ago, and yet following his tasked liberation of Eryn Dolen, he joined his men with Legolas. Sense should have convinced him to await my strength…instead he followed the idle words of my son. Now our Prince holds two of the forests most noted generals, while I have but you. Erynion has struck a weak chord in my plans, and its resonance is sure to be foul.

Chapter 1 - Black Blood Cleanses

Official Royal Letter from King Thranduil to General Haldir of the Galadrihm,
    Haldir,
    The moment has come and the forest floor shudders under the footsteps of our men. The Elves march once more, and the forest stirs with us. Good fortune shines upon us, and the leaves watch over us. Legolas's strategy has thus far proved successful, yet my doubts over our headstrong prince grow everyday. Arrogance will creep into the ranks under my son; reckless men performing reckless deeds. Celeborn has kept watch over him well enough, although persuading our dear ring bearer to forsake his glorious Lorien and Galadriel was most difficult.

The march north has proved fortuitous, the joint force liberating Beorning land in aid of our war efforts. The men in Amon Gastal have quickly converted to our cause, understanding our true goal. Hopefully the beornings will hold off the orcish threat from the west, the watching trees gazing to the east as they are. Celeborn is a worthy enough figurehead for our efforts there, and the growth has indeed been swift there. A palisade has been constructed to better defend the beorning farmlands and hovels; Celeborn, bereft of any modesty, quickly showing our peasant friends the arts of culture.

However...it would seem that Celeborn has become too affiliated with my sons war efforts, most unlike his character. He has gifted Legolas with Nenya, a strange turn of events I’m sure you will agree. To forsake his ladies ring...to my son, even my mind cannot decipher his reasoning as of now.

Speaking of Legolas, even within men I believed were mine has he added to his forces. You may remember Erynion, the elder son of Erynionelon. A valiant lad, and a distant relative it would seem. I adopted his as mine own when his father passed a summer ago, and yet following his tasked liberation of Eryn Dolen, he joined his men with Legolas. Sense should have convinced him to await my strength…instead he followed the idle words of my son. Now our Prince holds two of the forests most noted generals, while I have but you. Erynion has struck a weak chord in my plans, and its resonance is sure to be foul.

The siege of Ost-in-Edhil went smoothly. The orcish taint there suffered no mercy from my arrow. Black blood cleanses the Earth orcish feet once tainted.

The air smells as earth again. It smells clean. Unfortunately, the evil we have allowed to flourish is too long implemented. I cannot leave this foul place until all darkness is vanquished…and my war effort will need to be led by you.

Amongst the worry my kingdom causes me these nights, I am most glad you Haldir stand behind me. Together, we can claim victory. Enclosed is the map of Middle Earth containing my movements. Your instructions are to form a host of your finest soldiers, Galadrihm or otherwise, and follow my orders precisely. I trust you Haldir.

King Thranduil of Greenwood the Great

Haldir placed the letter back down on the desk, toying with the wax seal he had moments previously peeled himself.

“It bodes ill does it not Haldir. I have long told you the tides are turning within Mirkwood, and Thranduil no longer sits atop the wave. Legolas is too young. Too foolish. He will break the elvish resistance against the black immovable stone of Mordor, and all shall hence be lost.” The grey robed figure moved a parcel across the tabletop, a faint shimmer seeming to flicker from within.

“I understand, and I will aid in whatever way I can. The kingdom comes before the king, although both sides currently hold more strength than I can ever hope to muster…” Haldir stopped mid-sentence, as a ring fell from the packaging. It made a strong metallic thunk as it struck the table, and rolled in no way. The stone held within glowed a brilliant fire red. A simple message held inside read,

“Narya should provide the light needed most within the deepest shadow, and balance the odds in dire need. I entrust him to you.” The cloaked traveller had vanished from Haldir’s office…and the shades from outside the window grew darker as his presence disappered.

Legolas’s camp lit the world around Dol Guldur in a stark contrast. The black, ominous dark within the stronghold almost seemed to be engulfing the light a hundred campfires provided. The nazgul had already cast its influence into the air…and the soldier’s hearts. Chill air slid daggers into the most armoured skin. Rustling grass struck fear into once tranquil minds. The face of Mordor seemed to be one of creeping terror.

Such conditions suited Legolas amiably. It provided the perfect platform to convey his beliefs of necessary war and needed bloodshed. So many peaceful elves had rallied to his banners, speech proving the strongest motivator of all within his camps. And now came the turning point of his campaign. The purging of the forest. His home and his heart. The infection Sauron had cast over the once pure woodland sickened him in a way no mortal disease could, and his hand burned for a blade strong enough to smite the dark lord from this great distance. Though with Nenya now adorning his callussed finger, the future seemed not so foreboding to the Prince.

But that would have to wait...

As the glorious red dawn crept over the hills and treetops, the gates of Dol Guldur opened wide. And from within…the piteous, blood curdling shriek found scabbards, spears and quivers amongst the men. Out came the orcs. Out came the nazgul. Out came Mordor!

NEXT UPDATE - The Battle of Dol Guldur

The fell shade and his steed tore through the elvish lines as a whirlwind of blood and death and desperation. Armour shrieked, blades hummed. Elves died. Carnage. The monster slaughtered, blade running from one elvish heart to the neck of another. Legolas watched his men draw slowly closer to the torrent of doom. He drew his bow and notched an arrow, company following. Sweat creasing his brow the archers loosed a storm of arrows...praying to fortune and the gods that one point would pierce the black heart of the elfslayer. The arrows whistled towards the nazgul...

Just a taster.

As always criticism is welcome, and I apologise for the disjointed turn numbers for the screenshots. I wasn't sure if I should start a new campaign for the AAR or not, and this resulted in some confusion over my campaign screens. Oh well I guess.

Also the personalities of the characters aren't representative of the books, I prefer to tell my own story. Just a disclaimer before a lore buff goes to town on me.

Last edited by Bucket of Lithium; May 08, 2009 at 03:27 PM.

Offensive Bias's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [Silvan AAR] - The Last Stand - Chapter One Update

Hmm, did you notice in the map of Middle-Earth you put up, you can see Europe clearly in there? I spotted Spain and England right away. Anyway, very good talent as writing from an Elven point of view. I am looking forward to more. And Silvan archers, are the uber 1337.

Wow! I really like your writing, fits the faction perfectly!

Awesome job, and keep it up!

Varjon's Avatar Praepositus

Finns and Swedes will invade Mordor.

Very nice AOR, though!

I rather noticed the maps mirroring of Europe also...sort of helped me to choose it over the others on my trusty friend google image search. I spent about 10 minutes going through satellite images before I realised I'd forgotten to type in the "Middle".

I am currently quite enjoying trying to fit into an elvish persona. The generic pompous, haughty and cultured elf however seemed too...sterotypical. So currently I'm trying to fit as many conflicting personalities into a campaign as possible.

So far I've decided upon -

Thranduil - Reserved, aloof and rather discriminating against other races. Some of his...darker moments will shine through in later chapters.

Legolas - Reckless and rash, preffering to steam through Middle Earth on the coat tails of honour and glory. Rather blinded to some of the more important parts of empire building.

Haldir - The only sensible leader within Mirkwood. Too rooted to the ground to be taken up by Legolas's pretty words, and increasingly worried about Thranduil's growing paranoia. He's more a behind the scenes worker however.

I'm worried that my attempts at roleplaying the family strife accurately is going to end up cutting my empire into pieces following successive invasions. But then again, that too would be incredibly interesting.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Once again very nice +rep

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Quote Originally Posted by Varjon View Post
    Finns and Swedes will invade Mordor.

Very nice AOR, though!
    Swedes kicks ass! But enough offtopic, it was an really good AOR, i really enjoyed it.

Guess where i live ?

Chapter 2- Shades of Darkness

The Siege of Dol Guldur

"Soldiers, to arms and armament. Ready your feet and ready your minds. Clear the morning must that clouds your thought and be awakened this day, as the Earth itself shall be shaken from the rotting slumber it has accustomed to! For this day is our day! And our day is just indeed!" Legolas's words entwined themselves through the men, tangling together the honour and respect this knit force of elvish might held for their own. Few forces would challenge such a coherent battalion, and those that should issue such would seen succumb to the reality of six hundred aimed arrows blocking all signs of the sun. And all signs of hope.

Despite the bleak aura of a tumultuous storm that brewed intensely radiating from within Dol Guldur, the omens of the sky seemed fortuitous. No cloud of boiling purple ravaged the air, loosing forked fire from the heights. Just the azure blue of a new dawn. A new dawn indeed.

Until the gates opened. And from the blackened gates came the blackened force. The blackened souls. The blackened beasts. The Black Mordor.

"Men, we are a stock far above such rabble. We are the elves, the first and the highest of races upon the earth. These are our forests, our trees, our land and our homes and we demand vengeance! Vengeance upon those who would corrupt the blessing we are bestowed!" Legolas strung his bow, dipped an arrow in the fluid he kept on his person, and with a strike of flint dancing flames leapt into being; twisting rhythm and hypnotic danger, "Let the beasts of Mordor listen hence. The Elves have woken! And they are angry! And they shall not be rested until all is done, until Sauron himself is ended. That is our mission, that is our dream. That is our future!"

The arrow flew from the bow, notched as the speech progressed. It whistled not, cleaving so true a path through the air no sound emitted. The flames darkened and flickered ominously, before piercing a wilted heart. The orc erupted in a radiance of orange and crimson as it emerged from the gate, the monstrosities behind halting abruptly. The entirety of both armies gazed in hushed silence as the orc fell to the ground, writhed, screamed, moaned in sharp agony. Then stopped. Reality commenced.

"Almost as pretty a sight as Lorien itself!" A spearman mocked.

"If this is beautiful, we shall see the masterpiece of a host slaughtered before our feet! Men, form the lines!" Legolas screamed in his battle voice, booming across the elves. Obedience and drilling set the warriors into position with trained speed. The orcish horde poured forwards in a bulging rabble, tactics and order unbeknownst amongst such confusion. At the head however rode the black shade. The Sorcerer, The Leader…The Nazgul. The cruelty of the warped metal that made his blade reflected the bright light mockingly, deforming such purity as foully as Sauron himself. Only corruption could produce such evil.

However on the Elvish front line stepped forth Legolas’s answer to the Nazgul. The Stand, I Ram. Elves…so embedded into Legolas’s campaign, his ideas, his words that they had forsaken their lives. They no longer owned names, households…possessions. Just the will to stand before the horrors of Mordor, and stand. To stand and break the charge. To die, for elvish kind, martyrs in all but name.

It was thus these soldiers that stepped before the oncoming hordes, before the silvan spearman, and locked arms, preparing for their inevitable, welcome oblivion.

“Archers, notch arrows! The enemy is nearing,” The rustling of a few hundred elves rustling for arrows almost drowned out the terrific uneven rumbling of the oncoming orcish horde, “Archers, draw! Hold!”

The Nazgul and his slaves drew nearer.

“Hold!”

Another few metres fell quickly.

“HOLD!”

The nazgul was moments away from striking the wall, cloak black as sin flowing behind in a furious torrent.

“LOOSE!” The arrows twang mightily, leaping over the spearman’s heads and descending upon the orcs in a wail of thuds and groans. Heads dropped from view, followed by others tumbling in the confusion. A black rider fell heavily as he sprouted feathers from deep within the eye, scarlet raining over his steed.

And then the glory of the volley was over, as the nazgul struck the wall. The true battle had begun. Elves wilted as parchment to a flame. Soldiers of years long thrown down to earth as if children. It was carnage. It was darkness.

The orcish lines continued to suffer from arrow hail, but the crumple of the elvish line rallied them. With a last monumental effort they tore over the remaining distance, and with a clash of shields their crude weapons broke into the spearman.

The lines closed, orcs impaled deep within their mottled flesh, blood spurting in a halo above the fray. The numbers almost overwhelmed them, an elf falling to an axe planted to his side, although through gritted teeth spearing two orcs with one stroke. No elf succumbed without penance. Orcish fury never outmatched elvish skill. Skulls crushed and bones splintered. Spear shafts cracked legs and heads punctured lungs, all the while arrows raining mercilessly from above.

The battle in the centre was not the same.

The fell shade and his steed tore through the elvish lines as a whirlwind of blood and death and desperation. Armour shrieked, blades hummed. Elves died. Carnage. The monster slaughtered, blade running from one elvish heart to the neck of another. Legolas watched his men draw slowly closer to the torrent of doom. He drew his bow and notched an arrow, company following. Sweat creasing his brow the archers loosed a storm of arrows...praying to fortune and the gods that one point would pierce the black heart of the elfslayer. The arrows whistled towards the nazgul, felling a few black guards. No more.

The spearman suffered no better. The guards were men, it became clear to all. They fought bravely. They perished. The tale of all men. The nazgul was no man, or at least no longer. The pain he unleashed grew into a tumultuous eruption. His Guards had fallen, unneeded inhibitors to the passionless grave that the Nazgul’s sword gifted. He broke upon Erynion’s guard, elvish swords sweeping upwards in a desperate stand. Elvish blood flowed as a sword found the vein. A hand dropped a blade as a body lost an arm. Arrows struck the nazgul from both sides. A blade pierced his steed. Fire roared over his cloak. Erynion’s steely gaze. A stroke upwards. Parried. Repeated, stronger. Beast’s sword lost. A sword piercing the cloaks hood. Hopeless shadows lifted. A diminished cloak upon the ground. The bright flames merrily hoping amongst the blood, damnation and despair. The fiend was slain, by Erynion himself.

The orcs could stand no longer. Cowards inspired by one will never last alone. Elvish spears had torn splinters of their assault. The cries of the wounded rang out. The realities of bloodshed cast a dim shade of darkness to the bright light of the sun.

The cost of war is high. The blood of elves is precious.

“But the liberation of Dol Guldur is priceless.” Legolas muttered to himself when locked away within the strongholds highest tower. Blood still coated him. Grime and the other dirts of war caked his face, now resembling a swamp beast of old.

“Let it be known, Sauron, my brothers mean nothing to me whence compared to the restoration of Middle Earth. I shall sacrifice a hundredfold that which I lost today if need be. I WILL SACRIFICE THEM ALL!” The pained eyes of the elf sank back into his skull and rolled upwards. When morning returned, he would remember not this promise. But the seed of that moment would linger. For better or for worse, time would tell.

Power of the Three Parties by the end of the Battle for Dol Guldur:

Map of Settlements currently under he sway of the parties

Red - For Thranduil
    Green - For Legolas
    Blue - For Haldir

Military Strength:

Thranduil - 1251 Elves
    Legolas - 1260 Elves
    Haldir - 846 Elves

Well I'm not totally sure how that went, it definately wasn't the most fluent piece of writing I've ever produced. I apologise if the material is lacking in quality, I found juggling the battle and the screenshots incredibly hard also.

Ah well, I'm not in this really for recogniton, more for fun.

Happy reading guys, and criticsm regarding my battle posts will be much appreciated.

awesome,just frikin awesome! i a just started a silvan elves campiagn and i hav control of moria and it is only like turn 15 on VH/VH, perty good archers suky infantry in the begining! cant wait till turn 49 and, next post
    You say Jonas Brothers-I say Slipknot
    You say Taylor Swift-I say Disturbed
    You say Kate Perry-I say Killsitch Engage
    You say Miley Cyrus-I say Bullet for my Valentine
    You say pop-I say ROCK!!!
    92% of kids have turned to pop.If your one of the 8% who like to headbang and jump the (bleep) up then please copy and paste this into your signature.

Coeur de Lion's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: [Silvan AAR] - The Last Stand - Chapter Two Update

Can I point out there are three instances of the first part of the first chapter??

Otherwise great AAR, I like your style and the theme of the story +rep

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

This is a good AAR. Well done. (+rep)

The only criticism I would have is this - I think the battle-writing is your weakest part (it's still good, mind you) and, though I appreciate the effect you are after, I think you use a few too many short/one-word sentences. It results in quite a fractured syntax, where a long description might serve better to recreate the atmoshphere of the carnage of battle.

I look forward to the next update.
    Last edited by Ketchup; May 08, 2009 at 12:14 PM.

Roma Surrectum 2.0 Team Member
    R.I.P Calvin

Thank for the advice,

@ Coeur De Lion - Thanks for pointing that out, it's incredibly odd. I never put it like that with the original post. But then again copying everything three times may give the impression I've written more.

@ Ketchup - I noticed that when I began writing the battle scene, it really wasn't my forte. I much prefer descriptive writing, but I wasn't sure if it would be suitable as such for an AAR. Maybe I should range more into that. What was it specifically that is bad with my battle scenes, just the disjointed syntax? I intend to practice more and iron out my problems, I really get obsessed over some things.

Thanks for all the rep and comments guys! I'll be playing my next few turns soon, and my storyline is aready pretty much fully formed. Expect the update tomorrow, as it's the first saturday I've had in a while free, maybe even two seeing as i've been able to pump out quite a few updates between school and homework.

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

good job!

good job but the middle earth map is a little bit fan fictionish wanting tolkiens world in the real world

I'm sorry guy but some real life issues are going to be taking my time up for a bit, so the next update is going to be late.

Sorry and all if anyones devastated.