Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How To Play TATW With Your Own Music

Darch's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: How To Play TATW With Your Own Music

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
    Its all pretty self explanatory when you see the different sections in descr_sounds_music.txt.
    And that's where I thought I couldn't do anything, being away from my gaming comp for a few days.

But I just downloaded the attached .txt files in your OP and can see exactly what I need. Thanks again!

Foederatus

Many, many thanks for putting this up here! As soon as I heard about this mod, I wondered whether there was a way to put my own music in it, and voila! I saw this thread! Great work!

Quick question though...So I see in the descr_sounds_music.text file where to edit the music for the Elves, Gondor, Isengard/Mordor/Ocrs, Rhun/Harad, and Dwarves (under "Southern European"), but I'm not sure where to edit the music for the other factions. Am I right in assuming that Rohan, Eriador, and Dale just got lumped all together under "Northmen"? Is there any way to more specifically assign music to the individual factions, i.e., split them up separately in the descr_sounds_music.txt file? Same goes I suppose for each other factions that got lumped under the same heading. Is that possible?

Thanks again

Baron Samedi's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by gufu21 View Post
    Quick question though...So I see in the descr_sounds_music.text file where to edit the music for the Elves, Gondor, Isengard/Mordor/Ocrs, Rhun/Harad, and Dwarves (under "Southern European"), but I'm not sure where to edit the music for the other factions. Am I right in assuming that Rohan, Eriador, and Dale just got lumped all together under "Northmen"?
    Thats correct.

Is there any way to more specifically assign music to the individual factions, i.e., split them up separately in the descr_sounds_music.txt file? Same goes I suppose for each other factions that got lumped under the same heading. Is that possible?
    Unfortunately not. You can assign your music only to cultures. Its theoretically only possible if each faction would have its own culture, but the problem is that the maximum number for different types of culture is set on 7 in this game.
    Under the patronage of MasterBigAb

Foederatus

Hrmm. It is, after all, a mod. I guess even in a great mod like this, you can't have everything. Oh well.

Another quick question: Where do you change the music that plays when you end the turn and the computer is making the AI moves?

Another quick question: Where do you change the music that plays when you end the turn and the computer is making the AI moves?

I haven't try this before, but it might work:
    1. Change the file end_turn_012.mp3 in \Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data\sounds\SFX\interface\campaign or replace it with your own
    2. Open descr_sounds_generic.txt in ...\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data
    3. Go to this section:
      Code:
      ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
      ;;;;;;;;; END TURN SOUNDS - CULTURE SPECIFIC   ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
      ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    4. Change the names so that it match the music file as explained in the first point (if you didn't change the names, you'r done)
    5. Delete SFX.dat & SFX.idx in \Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data\sounds

Darch's Avatar Libertus

Another question for you Baron, if you or anyone else can help... how do I back up the changes I have made to my TATW music, in order to quickly add it again should I need to uninstall/reinstall the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Darch View Post
    Another question for you Baron, if you or anyone else can help... how do I back up the changes I have made to my TATW music, in order to quickly add it again should I need to uninstall/reinstall the mod?
    The fastest and easiest way is to back up the events.dat, events.idx, Music.dat, Music.idx located in ...\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data\sounds.

In case you want to mod further after your have made previous changes to music in TATW, its best to back-up the whole ''music'' folder in ...\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data\sounds with all of your own added mp3's & descr_sounds_music.txt located in ...\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data

Darch's Avatar Libertus

Thanks Baron, you the man.

+rep

Hey Baron. =) I hope you can help me.

With version 1.1 to 1.3, ist works perfect. But since 1.4 there is a problem. When I change the music, there is the new music in the game but not longer any voices. I reinstall TA and delete for a test the event.idx + .dat. When I start the game, the voices missing, too. Without any changes to the music or any sub-mods.

So, I think there must be a mistake or a change in the vanilla TA.

I hope you understand what I mean.

For information, I use the german version. But with 1.1 to 1.3 it works.

Greetings

Scout of Imladris. =)

The only files in TATW 1.4 that could affect the sounds/music in the mod are descr_sounds_accents.txt & export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt installed in: ...\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data and events.dat/idx in ...\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age\data\sounds. If you are sure you installed the text-files in the OP correctly, try to install TATW 1.4 in a different folder and copy the new created ''mods'' folder to your Medieval II Total War-folder without the above mentioned files that could possibly affect the sounds.

Oh, I'm sorry. After reinstall 1.4 I forgot to install your text-files.

Now it works again!

Thank you very much for your help and your tutorial!

Hi i hope someone will read this! I followed the instructions completely and added in a couple of new songs. I then deleted the Music and events files. But they never reconstructed as far as i can tell and now i can't edit the music further. i can make changes in descr_sound_music but they don't appear in game. What can i do to fix this? (Vista btw)

killerrabbit's Avatar Senator

Turn on Itunes, select playlist, minimize M2TW Music..

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."

Well i finally fixed it - vista was the problem. Music and event files were being rebuilt, but not in the TATW folder. Instead they were in C:>Users>Me>AppData>Local>Virtual Store>Program Files>Sega...
    I had no idea that directory even existed! Maybe this info might help someone else in the future.

Well i've spent some of my free time in the last couple of days editing my music with great success. If you are a vista user (like me) i have some tips that might help if anyone gets stuck:

-Make sure that vista doesn't rebuilt music/events in a different place (my major problem).
    -Test battle music on the Grassy Plain map. Some custom maps are tied to specific cultures (pelenor fields for example will play gondor music no matter what faction you play as). This confused me greatly for some time.
    -If you have the time and patience, i would suggest keeping the folder structure, but deleting all the original music and starting form scratch. Its much less confusing in the long run.
    -Finally, for the ultimate experience, i would suggest buying the soundtrack or unpacking the music of bfme (if you own it). Support the lotr franchise and make sure you pay for the music you use - Howard Shore deserves the credit for his amazing music!

@MonkeyChief
    Sorry I wasn't around lately to help you with your problem, but I am glad you already fixed it yourself.
    Anyways good tips! (+rep).

No problems Baron Samedi. I've just finished my overhaul of the TATW music and started a mordor campaign - it is so epic now! Totally worth the time of editing the music - thanks for this great guide.

Default custom music problem

Ok I read the music tutorial, deleted events, put music in sounds/music, and edited the descrition music file.

state MUSIC_BATTLE_MOBILIZE
    event
    folder data/sounds/music
    Hells_march.mp3
    end

In game, there is no sounds, what gives?

I am sorry, but the game music really drones on, and gets pointless, that is why I want to change it.

Default Re: custom music problem

Couldn't you ask this in the tutorial thread?

Do you have the music text files in 'data'? (the ones you had to download). Did you delete music.dat and music.idx? Do you have any other mods the change sound or music at all? Have you extracted the music mp3's with the tool on this site? Is your track named 'Hells_march' or 'Hells_march.mp3'? Have you checked whether the game rebuilds Events and music after you play the game?

Serioulsy, i could go on... their are so many things that can go wrong and you have been very vague - so i can't really help you. Sorry.

________Loyal fan of Stainless Steel and Third Age________
    (\_/)
    (ಠ_ಠ { WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?!)
    c(")(")

Default Re: custom music problem

You know what, I think the mistake was following the instructions for the mod folder only. See how that can throw me off, also I think when I was originally extracting, the program would not work. I think I will get it figured out.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast