Thread: New patch + IS = Best TW experience ever

Default New patch + IS = Best TW experience ever

I started a new game as Prussia and wanted to let you know how great it is.

The battles with the new fire mode are just great, now it is possible that units start to run after receiving the first volley, because of the great moral shock. It just feels great, especial as there is a change that this unist will rejoin battle later again. (Feels more like a real battle, instead of the fight between 2 armis consisting of mindless kill machines who are programmed to rout at 40 % cassaulities).

On the 1st turn I used state gifts to establishe good relations with Saxony and Austria and so prepair to get some backup for my war against courland.

After Poland lost East-Prussia to Austria and got invaded by an British army , I took the opportunity and my forces moved on courland territory. Honouring the contracts with courland, Poland declared war on me and now faces British, Austrian and Prussian troops.

My prussian units managed to hold their ground against some courland forces and the general not only earned experience in battle, but also feld save, because of the possible to retread into own territory, if courland could muster a army big enough to dread the expedition.

What now happens the brave general didnīt expect, neither did the eggheads in the Prussian ministry for war. A courtland army, fielding about the same amount of troops as the prussians marches towards them, but instead of attacking, they are ovoiding a confrontation with the prussianarmy and going into possion behind them near the boarder between Prussia and Courland.

The prussian General fast orders his units to get ready to chase down and destroy this dread for the homeland. But just before the army is ready to march, scouts repording another army of courland and this time it seeks the confrontation. Now it is all clear the Prussian army is trapped between the 2 courdland armys and suddenly outnumbered 2:1. Will the Prussian soldiers be able to survive the onslaught or will they have to die on the field of glory?

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Default Re: New patch + IS = Best TW experience ever

Hows campaign AI behaving?

The new patch that came out....got a lot of people angered because the CAI was wayyyy to aggressive.
    I wonder if Imperial Splendour fixes/covers that?

It is agressive, but not only against the player. It attacks faction, it has bad relations with and maintain peace with allies and trade partners.

The only problem with this is, that it looks like it never ever seeks peace, or at least not often enough.

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

So peace offerings is out?
    Thats fine with me at the moment.....Because when I went to war with a nation in any TW game, I went on and on till it was annihilated.

But I can feel that some other people would love to settle with solutions coming from diplomacy. I hope CA cracks this soon and fixes it up.

I just reinstalled E:TW and downloaded IS so I'm gonna experience it 2nite. I'm gonna start a new campaign with Great Britain and see how it goes. I will come back here to write about this topic's subject aswell.

The problem are not the ceasefires between player and ai, as the player can seek for peace. But that AI factions will never be at peace, after they went at war with each other. It ruins a great part of roleplaying possibilities.

If the player for example wants to establish a europe ruled by a leage of protestian factions, as one of his main objectives, there is no way he can achieve this, as soon as two protestian faction will get into war with eachother. Because there is no way for the player to stop this war.

In MTW 2 you could make peace between 2 AI factions, by signing a ceasefire with one of them and beeing allied with the other. So you had the power to form some kind of world order. Plus the AI had the possibility to make peace between each other on its own, unlike in ETW where the penalty for beeing at war, will never let the AI sign peace, without the use of state gifts. So never peace between AI.

If someone has seen a ceasefire between 2 AI factions in ETW, or know a way how to mod it in, pleace let me know.
    Last edited by herb0815; May 04, 2009 at 10:54 AM.

I'm pretty sure that the lack of diplomacy between AI factions is a bug that's out of our control. CA desperately needs to increase the amount of diplomacy between AI factions, AND increase the likely hood of that diplomacy resulting in peace (IE: ending a war).

Eusebius86's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Quixote07 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the lack of diplomacy between AI factions is a bug that's out of our control. CA desperately needs to increase the amount of diplomacy between AI factions, AND increase the likely hood of that diplomacy resulting in peace (IE: ending a war).
    What I try to do is reduce a faction to one or two territories, and then offer them a couple techs and 3-6k in gold and sue for peace and make them a protectorate. Afterwards I give them a gift. I very rarely get a protectorate to stab me in the back this way; even Prussia...

Im almost certain that i saw the A.I make peace prior to 1.2 patch.

Since the patch not only does the ai not make peace with each other but ive noticed a dramatic drop in diplomatic messages coming from the ai, ie trade a region etc. Maybe its just because every1 is at war now.

I even noticed Prussia declare war on the 13 colonies, for what reason, who knows.

@Eusebius aye the protectrorate strat works well, playing as GB i tamed the Hurons into Protectorship (by giving em back there capital hehe) and they have been busily kickin the butt of my enemes ever since.
    Last edited by Dogmeat; May 04, 2009 at 11:02 AM.

So true Quixote, in MTW 2 we had pointles 1 turn port blockading as triggers for wars, but at least the AI managed to make peace the next turn again.

Now if the player asks one of his ally for help, when he is attacked, he has to accept that there will never ever be peace between the attacker and his ally. That is rly silly, because it takes away the point of alliances unless you are the player type that loves to conquer the world over and over and over again, what never had been a challange in TW games.

It should at least be the way, that all factions in alliances will sign a ceasefire not only one faction. At least so the player could make some peace on earth.
    Last edited by herb0815; May 04, 2009 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmeat View Post
    Im almost certain that i saw the A.I make peace prior to 1.2 patch.

Since the patch not only does the ai not make peace with each other but ive noticed a dramatic drop in diplomatic messages coming from the ai, ie trade a region etc. Maybe its just because every1 is at war now.
    Well, i've still had 3 factions at once wanting to trade regions with me...

Quote Originally Posted by Aeterna View Post
    Well, i've still had 3 factions at once wanting to trade regions with me...
    Good to hear, it must be i was just at war with every1 before i had anythang of value to trade hehe.

Lemmie be a bit more clear - the AI can and will make peace with the player. The AI cannot (that I have seen) make peace with other AI nations. That's what needs to be addressed, but it's up to CA

Nevermind, I will wait another month before launching Empire...
    Last edited by Laserg; May 05, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
    Waiting for Europa Barbarorum II...

I love Medieval Total War.