Thread: [Silvan Elves AAR] Alkar eldain! UPDATED with Chapter 2

Default [Silvan Elves AAR] Alkar eldain! UPDATED with Chapter 2

Hello everyone, this is my first ever AAR, so don't expect much!
    Difficulty: VH/VH
    Cheats: No sir
    Sub mods: Mithmod and RC, Diplomacy Mod and Nerfed Garrison Script.

Introduction

The kingdom of the Silvan elves is relatively scattered, they have territory in northern Mirkwood and the woods of Lothlorien.

Thranduil, the king of the Silvan elves, resides in his palace which is known as Thranduil's Halls.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Celeborn and Lady Galadriel reside in Lorien, they currently govern Cerin Amroth and have left Haldir, a marchwarden of Lothlorien, as governor of Caras Galadhon. Legolas Greenleaf, the prince of Mirkwood, is currently in Lorien with a small remnant of archers, he must gather some forces for a much needed territorial expansion.

Chapter 1

Legolas: "It is great to be in the great woods of our kinsmen. I fear we cannot enjoy these fair woods any longer though, we were tasked with expanding our kingdom and conquering the lands between the Misty Mountains and Mirkwood. Let us make haste, our spy has spotted a rebel village to the north of Lorien."

Meanwhile, Celeborn and Haldir, being aware of Legolas's task, send all the archers they can spare to bolster the numbers of Legolas's army.

Legolas moves his army northwards towards Amon Gastal, stopping momentarily at Cerin Amroth to rest his soldiers and stock up on more supplies. Celeborn, wary of the threat of the Orcs of the Misty Mountains, travels to the forest's edge with his bodyguards to set up a watchtower.

The next day, Legolas's host departs Cerin Amroth and continues their march towards Amon Gastal. They arrive outside the village early the next morning, they marched through the night in order to try and surprise the rebel forces, and from the disorganized look of the rebels, it seems to have worked. Despite this, Legolas decides to wait and force them to sally out.

Meanwhile, in northern Mirkwood, Thranduil has assembled a sizable host and has started a march into central Mirkwood to try and capture some of the lands that have been overrun by rebels.

Thranduil: "We must not sit idle while there are rebels threatening our borders. My son is in Lorien helping our kinsmen to expand their borders and we must do the same. We march towards the town of Eryn Dolen, if we can capture this town then we will be able to safely set up watchtowers closer to Dul Guldur. It is essential that we keep watch on Dol Guldur so that we can be prepared for any attack they might attempt.

I have adopted the noble Aranion and have left him to govern my palace while I am campaigning. I have given him the task of setting up watchtowers to the north to keep an eye on any orc forces coming from Gundabad or any other orc stronghold in the north."

*A messenger comes up to the head of the host and turns to speak to Thranduil*

Messenger: "My king, a diplomat from Dale comes offering trade rights, what is your answer?"

Thranduil: "Tell them I happily accept these terms!"

Messenger: "Of course, my king. Farewell!"

*The defenders of Amon Gastal have sallied out to meet Legolas's army*

Legolas's army patiently awaits the approaching rebels, moving towards them as a large disorganized rabble. The rebel's army is made up of Beornings, hunters, and axe militia.

As soon as the rebels are in range, the Elven archers simultaneously nock their arrows and fire. A rain of arrows comes crashing down onto the rebels who, due to their lack of good armour, start dropping dead by the dozens.

Not even the fierce Beornings can withstand the deadly Elvish arrows. Eventually, though, the rebels closed enough to make Legolas's archer units fall back. The Beornings charged at the Elven archers, their charge was met by Legolas and his bodyguards. The fighting raged on as the Elven archers repositioned and continued their deadly bombardment upon the rebels. Finally, Legolas's bodyguards managed to overwhelm the Beornings and forced them to route when they killed the rebel's general.

Upon seeing the death of their general and the mighty Beornings, the remaining rebels started to rout. The vast majority of them didn't even make it back to the town square, they were killed by a hail of arrows. Less than fifty men made it to the town square. Legolas's host surrounded the surviving rebels. In a last desperate move, the rebels charged the Elves... None of them made it to the front lines.

*After the decisive vitory at Amon Gastal*

Legolas: "We have done it, we have taken Amon Gastal! The remaining villagers are free to go where they wish. Send word to Celeborn at once of the victory! I want two units of archers to accompany the messenger as well, I fear there may be an assault coming on Cerin Amroth."

*The two units set off with a soldier racing ahead on a horse to bring the news*

After the battle Legolas was approached by Ithilwen's father who offered her to him in marriage. Legolas had fallen in love with Ithilwen during his time in Caras Galadhon. They were married the next day at Amon Gastal.

During the time of Legolas's battle, Thranduil had laid siege to Eryn Dolen. The rebels surrendered after four days without a fight. Thranduil was happy that no blood needed to be spilled and allowed all the town inhabitants to go free.

Legolas's spy has reported that there is a orc fort located in the Misty Mountains, it looks like it will be the next target for Legolas's army. They rest now and build their numbers, an attack from the Orcs of the Misty Mountains seems inevitable.

Chapter 2

*A messenger arrives at the great tree city of Caras Galadhon and requests an audience with lord Haldir*

Messenger: "My lord, I bring word from our king Celeborn. He is looking for a general worthy of leading an assault on the goblin stronghold of Moria. It will be a significant blow to the Orcs of the Misty Mountains, one that severely lessen their power.
    Our spy has infiltrated the city and reports that the garrison is very small, Celeborn has received two units of experienced archers from prince Legolas and has, himself, mustered up another five or so units.
    Will you lead this assault?"

*Haldir thinks to himself a moment*

Haldir: "Gladly will I lead the assault for our king Celeborn. As soon as my horse and bodyguards are ready I will depart and give Celeborn the news myself."

Messenger: "Very well my lord."

Haldir arrived in Cerin Amroth with his bodyguard at dusk. He met with Celeborn and discussed the possibility of waiting a couple weeks to build up their forces further. In the end, they decided that they needed to take advantage of the current situation and therefore, Haldir made ready to set out with his forces the next day.

They set out the next day, moving lightly and swiftly. They marched through the night and came within sight of Moria the next morning, Haldir immediately set up camp around Moria and decided that he was going to use the same tactic that had won all the previous battles. He would starve them out and force them to face the might of his archers and spearmen. The goblins could not try and pass through the tunnels and out the west entrance; because they had a great fear for something that lurked in the waters just ouside. Haldir was sure that he would outlast and ultimately defeat the goblins...
    As he sat in thought, he was approached by a figure who had been lurking in the shadows. It was their spy.

Spy: "Haldir! The orcs! They are pouring into the city in great numbers! They come through crevices and tunnels, they must have been aware of a coming attack the garrison now has at least 4000 goblins longing for Elvish blood!"

Haldir: "This is grave news indeed! We must send word for reinforcements. Ride for Cerin Amroth! Tell Celeborn what you have told me, go! Make haste!"

*The spy speeds off on a horse and a soldier comes running to Haldir*

Soldier: "Haldir! Haldir!"

Haldir: "What? What is it that has alarmed you?"

Soldier: "More goblins! More goblins are coming from the north! There is no way we can escape without a fight!"

Haldir: "This truly is alarming! You're sure we can't escape?"

Soldier: "Yes my lord, they are close, they will be within range in no more then thirty minutes, they were spotted too late, our attention had been focussed on Moria."

Haldir: "Hmmm... We must face the attacking force and hope that we can desimate them before the Moria garrison would have time to sally out. What are the numbers of the attacking force?"

Soldier: "About 500 my lord."

Haldir: "Very well, tell the soldiers to make ready for battle."

Soldier: "Yes lord Haldir."

*The soldier runs off in direction of the soldier's camp*

Haldir made all the preparations time allowed him. He set his spearmen in loose formation and had them spread out in two lines to protect the archers.

They patiently awaited the approache of the goblin army. Their devastating arrows and spears would pierce the goblin's inadequate armour. The ground will be covered with their black blood.

Finally the orcs came into the view of the elve's far-seeing eyes. They looked like nothing more than the rabbles of orcs that Haldir had, with the other marchwardens, destroyed on their patrols. When the orcs eventually came into range, they were torn apart by the all to familiar sting of the elvish arrows. Most devastating of all was their general falling, pierced by many arrows.

The ground was littered with the bodies of orcs. Only one unit of goblins remained. The spearmen readied themselves and the goblins began to close the distance between them and the elves. They didn't get far until they fell into disaray from the arrows crashing down upon them. It was not long until there were no goblins left alive.

Haldir and his men celebrated a huge victory, they had lost no men!

There was one thing that troubled Haldir though.
    Where were the Moria forces?
    He had heard nothing from inside and no goblins had come out to join the battle. He brought his forces to the east gate, almost expecting a sudden ambush. But, there was nothing from within. He moved slowly into the dark depths with his army behind him.
    It was at that point that he heard a deafening roar.
    A roar like none he had heard before.
    There was only one person in his army, Veryan, who knew that roar.
    Veryan had been present at the Fall of Gondolin, he had seen with his own eyes the dreadful Balrogs. He had saw his king, Turgon, killed by Gothmog, the lord of the Balrogs. He cringed at the roar, and at once he knew that the goblins had fled.
    Haldir and his army hastily left the mines and made their way back to Cerin Amroth.

Haldir left his spearmen outside the mines and hes ent a forerunner to tell Celeborn of their capture of Moria. When Haldir arrived in Cerin Amroth he saw met with Celeborn.
    Celeborn told Haldir that he had given Moria to their Dwarven allies as a gift of friendship. Haldir understood and did not object to this, elven people had no desire to live in tunnels under the ground. He requested leave and went up to his flet to rest.

Hopefully, the gift of Moria to the dwarves will strengthen the alliance and frienship of the elves and dwarves and they will, together, be able to destroy the Orcs of the Misty Mountains.

What really happened with the battle is my settings were too high so it couldn't bring in the 5000 orc reinforcements. When I defeated the other army it just gave me Moria.

Sorry for this one, I had to rush at the end.

Anyways, enjoy!
    Last edited by Pud; May 05, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: [Silvan Elves AAR] Alkar eldain!

Impressive
    RTR RULES!!!!

how did you get them to surrender without losing any1?

I just had them under siege to force them to sally out, and I think if there are overwhelming odds they will just surrender. I'm not totally sure what makes them do it though, because I didn't have a ton of troops if I remember correctly.

Just opened the game quickly to check something with the settlement. The culture is 60% Elves so it looks like that would have played a part in them surrendering.

Nice start mate,
    I'm currently playing my first SE campaign too.
    Few things I can suggest to you if you want:
    - bild watch towers asap, it is the only way you have to discover approaching enemy armies to your realm without leaving strong garrison in your cities;
    - destroy Moria asap and give it as present to dwarves for an alliance;
    - in the early turns (50 at least) don't put much more than three or four units of spearmen or warriors in your armies, you don't really need them;
    - be careful against troll; these are the powerful units I have fought till now, they kill 3 elves each at least before they die;
    - as you note you have a very weak economy (and personally I don't agree with this issue because if you have red the book, how is it possible that the most ancient race on middle-earth starts is this conditions?), so you need to boost your settlements asap. I prefer to upgrade the smallest first due to high costs for upgrade Caras Galadon and the Capital.
    for the rest, keep on and good luck

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Nice blend of flavoured text and screenshots

Thank you for the comments!

MAM072- Yeah, I'm starting to think I should go for Moria right now instead of that mountain fort because Moria is probably where the bulk of their armies would come from.
    What would be my best bet against trolls? I seem to remember hearing that archers, unfortunately, are very ineffective against them.
    Oh, and yeah, I'm definitely taking advantage of the amazing Elven archers, they are all I need at the moment. I only recruit the spears to keep my settlements happy and in case of an attack I'm unprepared for.
    Finally, yes, I have read the books and it doesn't make much sense that the elves would have such a poor economy considering they had such a high amount of skill in different crafts. I think the Silvan Elves should start the game with at least trade rights with Dale seeing as in the time of the Hobbit the Silvan Elves and the people of Esgaroth both flourished from trade with each other, and since the defeat of Smaug and the reclaiming of Erebor that should boost their trade even more.

Ok, I think that's all I have to say

Thanks again for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Pud View Post
    Thank you for the comments!

MAM072- Yeah, I'm starting to think I should go for Moria right now instead of that mountain fort because Moria is probably where the bulk of their armies would come from.
    What would be my best bet against trolls? I seem to remember hearing that archers, unfortunately, are very ineffective against them.
    Oh, and yeah, I'm definitely taking advantage of the amazing Elven archers, they are all I need at the moment. I only recruit the spears to keep my settlements happy and in case of an attack I'm unprepared for.
    Finally, yes, I have read the books and it doesn't make much sense that the elves would have such a poor economy considering they had such a high amount of skill in different crafts. I think the Silvan Elves should start the game with at least trade rights with Dale seeing as in the time of the Hobbit the Silvan Elves and the people of Esgaroth both flourished from trade with each other, and since the defeat of Smaug and the reclaiming of Erebor that should boost their trade even more.

Ok, I think that's all I have to say

Thanks again for the comments!
    Actually, with MC's balance mod cave trolls are very easy with elven archers. Make sure you target them first tho. Once they get into your lines they cause problems because they can throw guys around with MC's balance sub-mod (increased mass)

Great ARR perfect mix os screenshots and story imho
    Name is steam account name.

Altho...i'm not very good

ya, urs is btr than the other guy who started one a lil bit ago.

Before you start the assault on the Goblins it'd probably be a good idea to pick off a few more rebel towns and holdings, to boost the economy before you start a fullscale assault on Moria. The garrisson script will make an invasion slightly harder, and with such a large force steaming out of the gates you're likely to lose some men. Overstretching yourself could be dangerous.

Pick off the rebels, get some money and train a larger force. A garrisson of an archer and a spearman unit can hold off most orc armies on the walls, so dont worry too much about your cities being undefended.

My two cents.

Default Re: [Silvan Elves AAR] Alkar eldain! UPDATED with Chapter 2

all you need is a couple of spearmen and alot of archers! OoMm hav no or lil armour hve to get close with skirmishers. plan of deployment... setup your archers and take the fall back when enemy is close thing and then put your spearmen behind them a lil bit so your archers can have clear shots, keep those spearmen close though! You need to kill the OoMm before they can get trolls, if they get em your archers would be useless! alot of balistea works against trolls.

good AAR