Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fields of the Fallen: American Civil War Custom Battles Beta Release v0.3 - Updated 5-11-09

Default Fields of the Fallen: American Civil War Custom Battles Beta Release v0.3 - Updated 5-11-09

THIS MOD HAS BEEN MERGED INTO ANOTHER, WHICH CAN BE FOUND HERE. NO FURTHER DEVELOPMENT IS PLANNED.

Fields of the Fallen
    American Civil War BattleMod for ETW
    Beta Release v0.3

Fields of the Fallen is an American Civil War themed conversion mod for custom battles, both single player and multiplayer. This version of the mod is the basic, core mod available for play testing and feedback. This mod is only for playing land-based custom battles. For playing the campaign, playing normal multiplayer, or playing naval battles, simply remove the mod from your data folder and replace it when you choose to play the mod again.

Unit Cards

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Battle View

Unit Sample

Skins Sample

Mod Team
    Hinkel - Unit cards, unit skins, music, flags.
    Gilthanor - Mod design and creation.

Changelog in v0.3
    • Added new skins for all CSA units. A couple of items are still being worked on (some officers/drummers/flagbearers have not been changed, etc.)
    • Added the skin for the USA Iron Brigade, although drummers etc. havn't been changed. All other USA troops are currently using default skins on default models, while their skins are being created.
    • Fire by rank has been replaced by Mass Fire for all infantry. Let me know what you think.
    • New loading screen.
    Sorry for the minor update, but I hope the new skins are decent. We have limited options due to the silly hats on most of the models, but we're working with what we've got. Next up on the list is adding music and the USA skins, along with getting howitzers back in the game with explosive shells and canister rounds.

Changelog in v0.2
    • Added three new units: Texas Brigade, Washington Artillery, Lightning Brigade.
    • New unit cards/icons added for all units.
    • New battle flags.
    • Size of named infantry units (Tigers, Stonewall, Irish, and Iron Brigades) decreased from 350 to 340 men.
    • Accuracy and reload of all non-artillery units has been lowered to decrease the amount of casualties at maximum range.
    • Reduced the firepower of Terry's Texas Cavalry but increased their melee skill.
    Features in v0.1
    • Two new factions for custom battles, the United States and the Confederate States of America. Each faction has basic, corresponding units, along with unique units that aim to represent the historic flavor of both sides while still remaining balanced.
    • This mod is intended for large battles, with large troop sizes, on large maps. For new, larger maps to play on, please see the link lower in the thread.
    • Enter the era of rifled warfare. Long range rifled muskets and artillery introduce the TW series to the decline of cavalry and the long reign of infantry and artillery as the kings of the battlefield.
    • Terrain and morale play larger factors in combat than in vanilla ETW. Longer zones of fire give your army room to spread out and take advantage of the terrain features rather than forming a single line, and mastery of high ground becomes key in order to give your long range artillery line of sight over the battlefield.
    • The velocity of artillery shells has been slightly raised. Not only do projectiles fly straighter (less "lobbing"), but this helps simulate the unpredictability of fuses on explosive shells/shrapnel.
    • Stakes have been removed from skirmishers. Light Infantry Tactics has been added to all infantry to allow normal regiments to deploy as skirmishers in front of the main lines.

Current Unit List

Confederate Army
    • Confederate Marksmen - Small unit of very accurate skirmishers. Can hide in most terrain and while moving. Long range.
    • Confederate Infantry - Standard infantry regiment. Medium range, standard morale and melee abilities.
    • Louisiana Tigers - Infantry regiment with high morale and higher melee abilities. Medium range.
    • Stonewall Brigade - Infantry regiment with high morale and higher accuracy/reload rating. Medium range.
    • Texas Brigade - Infantry regiment with high morale, high accuracy and reload, and high melee abilities. The "shock troops" unit of the CSA army, though a bit expensive. Medium range.
    • General's Staff - Standard general's unit. Low cost and unit size.
    • Confederate Cavalry - Dragoon style unit using carbines, fast moving and can dismount. Slightly shorter range, average melee abilities.
    • Terry's Texas Cavalry - Same as normal cavalry, but with lower melee skills and higher accuracy/reload.
    • 12pd Napoleon Smoothbores - Battery of artillery with emphasis on close range firepower. Very long range.
    • 3-Inch Ordnance Rifles - Battery of artillery with emphasis on long range accuracy. Very long range.
    • 6pd Horse Artillery - Standard horse artillery. Very long range.
    • Washington Artillery - Larger battery (6 guns vs. the usual 4) of smoothbore cannon. Slightly higher stats.
    Union Army
    • Union Marksmen - Small unit of very accurate skirmishers. Can hide in most terrain and while moving. Long range.
    • U.S. Sharpshooters aka "Berdan's Sharpshooters" - Mid-size infantry unit with longer range, higher accuracy, and faster reload. Can hide in most terrain but not while moving.
    • Union Infantry - Standard infantry regiment. Medium range, standard morale and melee abilities.
    • Irish Brigade - Infantry regiment with high morale and higher melee abilities. Medium range.
    • Iron Brigade - Infantry regiment with high morale and higher accuracy/reload rating. Medium range.
    • General's Staff - Standard general's unit. Low cost and unit size.
    • Union Cavalry - Dragoon style unit using carbines, fast moving and can dismount. Slightly shorter range, average melee abilities.
    • Lightning Brigade - Dragoon style unit using Spencer rifles. Not as fast as normal cavalry and considerably weaker in melee, but very fast rate of fire. More men than standard cavalry unit. Medium range.
    • 12pd Napoleon Smoothbores - Battery of artillery with emphasis on close range firepower. Very long range.
    • 3-Inch Ordnance Rifles - Battery of artillery with emphasis on long range accuracy. Very long range.
    • 6pd Horse Artillery - Standard horse artillery. Very long range.
    • U.S. Regular Artillery - Larger artillery battery (6 guns vs. the standard 4) of rifled cannon. Higher accuracy and reload. Very long range.

Known Issues
    • Half of the custom skins are completed, but most USA troops and several officers/drummers/flagbearers have not been changed yet.
    • In order to allow multiplayer, this mod comes in patch.pack format, so compatability with other mods is not guaranteed. If mod format becomes multiplayer compatible, if patch format ceases to be multiplayer compatible, or if future CA patches render the patch.pack version unusable, the mod will be released in mod.pack format.
    • This mod disables all factions other than the two new Civil War factions. Other factions may be introduced at a later date. Playing the normal campaign, normal multiplayer, or naval battles is as easy as removing the mod from your data folder, then replacing it when you wish to play the mod again.
    • As mentioned above, this mod is intended for large scale battles and can be taxing on older computers. The standard infantry unit is 400 men large in Ultra settings, and goes no lower than 100 for the lowest settings.
    • Full size infantry regiments have trouble being spread manually when in Light Infantry mode. To bypass this, simply place the unit at the location you want in normal formation and then have them enter Light Infantry mode once they are centered.
    • There is currently no difference between the "early" and "late" setting in custom battles. This will be implemented at a later date.
    • The animation for the Lightning Brigade incorrectly shows them muzzle-loading their weapons. It's been troublesome attempting to get them to use the same animation as the Ferguson rifle, but still be able to remount their horses and wield their hatchets in melee range. I'm also unable to replicate a magazine-based rifle (fires 7 shots before reloading) at this time, but the rate of fire should average out to about what it would be when reloading a new magazine is taken into consideration.
    Future Projects
    • Adding custom skins for each unit.
    • Custom quotes from the American Civil War for the loading screen.
    • Adding Civil War era music.
    • More unique units are being considered.
    • Placing howitzers and mortars back in the mod, but in historical versions.
    • Creating larger battle maps that represent the rugged terrain where many ACW battles were fought. (Help Wanted!)
    • Introducing new models to replace firearms and artillery (I'm looking at you, CA). (Help Wanted!)
    • Attempting to create a custom name database for generals that will somehow correspond with the correct photo.
    HELP WANTED!

Please contact me via private message on the TWCenter forums if you are interested in helping with modeling or map-making.
    • I have no experience with modeling. If someone is enthusiastic enough to start cranking out models that's great, but we currently have no way to put them into the mod so there's no rush.
    • Any custom maps that people will allow me to use will be greatly appreciated.
    Credits and Thank You
    • A very big thank you to LtChambers and Alpaca for creating the tools I've used to make this mod.
    • Another very big thank you to DarthVader for his work on DarthMod and all that's been learned from it. Several tables in this mod are inspired by his work.
    • Most of all, thank you to all the TWCenter community members that created the tools and tutorials needed to allow a first-time modder like myself to start from scratch.
    • Art for the info cards and loading screen is from various works by Mort Kunstler, Dale Gallon, and Don Troiani. Unit icons were created by Hinkel using art from AGEOD's American Civil War.
    Download and Installation
    Click the link at the bottom of this post to download the file in .rar format. Use a trial version of WinRAR or similar program to extract the pack file and place it in C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/common/empire total war/data. The mod is in patch.pack format, meaning it should load automatically without needing to use ModManager or a user script, as long as you don't rename the mod file. WARNING: Compatability with other mods is not guaranteed.

Additional Maps

The use of the Lordz map pack (available here) is highly recommended due to the longer range of rifles and cannons in this mod. The Fields of the Fallen mod pack contains all the necessary lines in the .loc file to ensure compatability with the Lordz maps. However, in order to allow the unit names and descriptions of the Fields of the Fallen mod to work with the Lordz maps, you need to follow these simple steps.
    • Download the Pack File Manager if you don't already have it.
    • Open the Lordz Map Map mod (mapmod.pack) with the Pack File Manager.
    • Delete localisation.loc under the db/text table.
    • Save the mod. The unit names and descriptions for the Fields of the Fallen mod will now work, along with the maps contained in the Lordz Map Pack.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Gilthanor; June 01, 2009 at 11:38 AM.

Default Re: Fields of the Fallen: American Civil War Custom Battles

This mod is an open beta release that is still in testing.

Feedback requested! Please let me know about the following:

• Bugs or game crashes.
    • Multiplayer compatability.
    • Unit balance.
    • Unit costs.
    • Battle system and how it works out (morale, unit damage, etc.)
    • Typos found in unit names or descriptions.
    Last edited by Gilthanor; May 11, 2009 at 09:46 PM.

Very interesting, perhaps if we ever get a model editor you'll be able to create some proper soldiers.

maybe combine with the existing civil war mod team:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=242448

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Screenshots of units would be handy?? please?

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    Screenshots of units would be handy?? please?
    They'd be disappointing. I've done what I could with the skins already in the game, so some units look reasonable but most need alot of work to look accurate. I can provide screenshots of the large unit cards and descriptions, but the units themselves use whatever skins I could find to closely match them in the game. Any help with skinning would be appreciated.

Singleton Mosby's Avatar Tiro
    Mosby's Confederacy, Guerilla territory, VA. CSA

I am very much interested in this mod. Going to play a bit with it once I return home from work. glad to see the first ACW mod!

As said I have tried my first battle. I do think this mod could use some real skins but the feel of the troops, especially the confeds, is there (apart from the arty and officers).

Battlepics:

I will do some more battles and then give you proper feedback.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Singleton Mosby View Post
    As said I have tried my first battle. I do think this mod could use some real skins but the feel of the troops, especially the confeds, is there (apart from the arty and officers).

Battlepics:

I will do some more battles and then give you proper feedback.
    Good shots man!!! but think i will wait till mesh tools are out to change those hats before playing as the Blues do not look right at all.
    Gilthanor - well done on this anyways, no offence on above quote mate!

BTW: could you perhaps make the battleflags a bit less 'clean'? And perhaps with a unit name and battle-honours on them. Doesn't matter they all have the same, does it?

The graphical details are part of why it's still in beta. I have at least one volunteer to help with skins but we still have to work with the current models for now. I'm going to at least switch some models to get rid of all the tricorn hats. I had to teach myself how to create this mod from scratch so the flags are basic, but I'll add some texture and darken them up a bit. Thanks for the feedback, I'll work on getting some minor changes done soon.
    Last edited by Gilthanor; May 04, 2009 at 05:49 PM.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Awesome work, just awesome!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

I'm a Civil War historian, so I'm nit-picking the hell out of every Civil War mod released. It is looking promising, but you really need to get new models, there is no way to use the models that the developers give us. If you need any historical help, let me know (uniforms, arms, &c...).
    Sean M. Lamb
    Civil War Historian

"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."
    James A. Peifer
    Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

As I've said already, I can only work with what is available. When we can import new models it will be done, but we have to work with what is available, not what we wish was available. Sorry for any typos, I'm on my phone at work until later.

Understood fully; in that case, are there any individuals who are working to create new models?
    Sean M. Lamb
    Civil War Historian

"Our Reg't is composed of Germans, Dutch-Americans, and Irish they being the majority and very hard set. Our company is composed of the same stock, we can not agree very well with the Irish."
    James A. Peifer
    Co. C 46th Penna. Vol. Inf.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthanor View Post
    The graphical details are part of why it's still in beta. I have St least one volunteer to help with skins but we still have to work with the current models for now. I'm going to St least switch some models to get rid of all the tricorn hats. I had to teach myself how to create this mod from scratch so the flags are basic, but I'll add some texture and darken them up a bit. Thanks for the feedback, I'll work on getting some minor changes done soon.
    First of all let me state again I like your mod, you have made the ACW come to life Good work!

Two battles further I have some more feedback for you. I completely understand about the skins and graphical detail. The Butternut line soldiers are very good already, you can use them perhaps for late period line infantry (as oposed to the more uniform clothed and 'uniformed' early infantry (look more ragged but fire better)). If you get rid of the headwear of the union troops and confed skrimishers you are a long way.

Ok, the feedback.

First I found the battles took place at slightly too long range. Thus either slightly decrease the range of line infantry (about 10%) or/and make them far less acurate at these long ranges.
    Cover (woods, buildings and fences) should have a higher defensive bonus as they should determine the line of battle, as should hills give you a bonus, thus shapping the battlefield.

I think the small skirmish regiments (30 men) are firstly, too small and secondly too powerfull. I suppose decreasing them a bit in size and effectiveness but doubling their cost.
    Then this small sized Union skirmish unit should be clothed in green, not the larger light infantry unit. Berdans sharpshooters were a rare sight on the bigger battlefields.

My cavalry was overpowered, I fought them as dismounted infantry for the better part of the battle and they stood a good change against line infantry if employed with the right speed. Perhaps a bit less powerfull and acurate.
    Then there should be a profound difference in the blue and gray cavalry. Union cavalry should be somewhat as they now are, less acurate as stated above and then even a little bit less range but higher reload skill. Confed cavalry should have a bit higher range then their union counterpart but only be able to fire half as fast (repeaters vs carabines). At short range the confederate cavalry should be more deadly however (pistols) and have a somewhat higher melee.
    If you are going to give this an early period as well consider dropping the long range fire of the confed cavalry altogheter but give them a much higher melee skill, the early union cavalry should have a low accuracy and low melee (those troopers were no fighters).

Back to the line infantry.
    Consider giving the Confederate infantry a lower reloading skill and higher accuracy. Altough I have no idea how to compensate the Union infantry for this slight edge, perhaps by making the Confederate units somewhat smaller. It is however very much historical as several Union soldiers wrote about the Confedederates making their shots count and being far more accurate while the Union troopers just blazed away as fast as they could. They state a fair fight would always be won by the Confederate regiment. (reason one for the disparity in battlefield casualties)
    There is one other thing which might be modded if possible: Union regiments fought more close-up, shoulder to shoulder. While their Confederate counterparts fought with somewhat open ranks. (the second reason for the disparity in casualties)

And, have you thought about giving them the option to retreat before the enemy (players can use it to withdraw)?

On the artillery, they are great but perhaps consider making the Southern arty a little less effective due to faulty ammunition. (can you mod a higher chance of a gun exploding due to a missfire ?)

Another nice battle pic to sweaten my rambling

And a picture of a part of the battlefield after a 4000 vs 4000 fight. Five regiments of me fought five of the Yanks, I whiped them due to too much maneuvering on their side.

I suppose I should close this long post of feedback with stating again you have made a good ACW mod, I am looking forward to the next update. If you ever need some info, research or whatever, just drop me a line. Sadly I can't mod or map.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfromthepast View Post
    Understood fully; in that case, are there any individuals who are working to create new models?
    Not right now, no.

First I found the battles took place at slightly too long range. Thus either slightly decrease the range of line infantry (about 10%) or/and make them far less acurate at these long ranges.
    Cover (woods, buildings and fences) should have a higher defensive bonus as they should determine the line of battle, as should hills give you a bonus, thus shapping the battlefield.
    The projectiles are modeled after the projectiles used in DarthMod. What this means is that you should see a significant increase in casualties at closer range, but less effectiveness at maximum range. I do think that casualties are still a bit higher than what I want right now (from muskets...artillery seems to be about right) so I'll probably do an across-the-board drop in accuracy for all non-artillery units.

I think the small skirmish regiments (30 men) are firstly, too small and secondly too powerfull. I suppose decreasing them a bit in size and effectiveness but doubling their cost.
    Then this small sized Union skirmish unit should be clothed in green, not the larger light infantry unit. Berdans sharpshooters were a rare sight on the bigger battlefields.
    Not sure I agree with you here. The 30-man units can't do much more than drop a handful of men in larger units (infantry, cavalry). Once they are detected, they are very vulnerable to a volley (if in close range), a cavalry charge, or a couple of good shrapnel shells. What they can do, and they do very well, is decimate a general's unit or an artillery unit that is caught "in the open" with nothing to block the line of fire of the marksmen unit. I'm going to play with them some more and try to get a bit more feedback before I change them.

My cavalry was overpowered, I fought them as dismounted infantry for the better part of the battle and they stood a good change against line infantry if employed with the right speed. Perhaps a bit less powerfull and acurate.
    Which were you using, the standard or the Texas Cavalry?

Then there should be a profound difference in the blue and gray cavalry. Union cavalry should be somewhat as they now are, less acurate as stated above and then even a little bit less range but higher reload skill. Confed cavalry should have a bit higher range then their union counterpart but only be able to fire half as fast (repeaters vs carabines). At short range the confederate cavalry should be more deadly however (pistols) and have a somewhat higher melee.
    If you are going to give this an early period as well consider dropping the long range fire of the confed cavalry altogheter but give them a much higher melee skill, the early union cavalry should have a low accuracy and low melee (those troopers were no fighters).

Back to the line infantry.
    Consider giving the Confederate infantry a lower reloading skill and higher accuracy. Altough I have no idea how to compensate the Union infantry for this slight edge, perhaps by making the Confederate units somewhat smaller. It is however very much historical as several Union soldiers wrote about the Confedederates making their shots count and being far more accurate while the Union troopers just blazed away as fast as they could. They state a fair fight would always be won by the Confederate regiment. (reason one for the disparity in battlefield casualties)
    There is one other thing which might be modded if possible: Union regiments fought more close-up, shoulder to shoulder. While their Confederate counterparts fought with somewhat open ranks. (the second reason for the disparity in casualties)
    I forgot to mention this in the opening post, but I want to keep all basic units identical, and use unique units to add the flavor of the factions. For example, the CSA already has a stronger cavalry unit available to it, and the USA can buy an artillery unit with higher accuracy and reload, and the artillery is actually a bit cheaper to buy the same amount of cannon. I'd like to flesh this out as the mod expands.

And, have you thought about giving them the option to retreat before the enemy (players can use it to withdraw)?
    Do you mean the skirmish ability?

On the artillery, they are great but perhaps consider making the Southern arty a little less effective due to faulty ammunition. (can you mod a higher chance of a gun exploding due to a missfire ?)
    Scripting in a chance to explode is beyond what I think I can accomplish right now. If I could, I'd have a reason to put Parrott Rifles in the game .

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful. I'm going to change some models around and change a few of the combat mechanics tonight.

Also, the mod team has doubled (wow!) to two people. Hinkel is providing some excellent new unit cards that are much better than mine, and is working on some unit skins and music as well. I'm going to switch some models around to get ready for the new skins.

Original post has been updated with a couple of screenshots of the new unit cards.

I played around with rifle accuracy tonight and I think I've got it where I like it. A cavalry charge against a couple of units in line is still suicide, but infantry regiments advancing into firing position don't lose 50-100 guys before they get off a volley. I'll release a small update tomorrow evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilthanor View Post
    Original post has been updated with a couple of screenshots of the new unit cards.

I played around with rifle accuracy tonight and I think I've got it where I like it. A cavalry charge against a couple of units in line is still suicide, but infantry regiments advancing into firing position don't lose 50-100 guys before they get off a volley. I'll release a small update tomorrow evening.
    Great!

On the cavalry I used, it was probably Texan cav (don't see a name..). As I was using a unit of each. Though I don't think Texan cav should be able to fire anywhere over pistol range, being melee cavalry.

On the infantry. I think a difference between the Confed and Union infantry would add some extra flavour to the game as well as a slightly different tactical use of your troops.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast