Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best video game protagonist?

We had a best villain thread, but I don't think we had a best protagonist one. At least, I haven't seen any. What are your favorite main character(s)? What made them so special? This is basicly the same type of discussion we had in the villains' post.

The first (and only one) that comes to my mind is Garrett, from the Thief games. There are many bada$$ type of main characters in video games, but Garrett just seemed to have this authencity, this original feel that makes him unique. His cynical and egoistic attitude acts as a pure charm, and it all seems much more natural in his portrait than in any other self-styled bada$$ protagonists in other games (but I'm not saying there isn't any other cool bada$$ characters in other games). What fascinated me the most is that he is not the ordinay hack-and-slash hero, on the contrary he sort of slams the ultimate insult in the face of everyone by robbing them blind in their backs. That's the sort of thought that provided me with a rare delight. He is not either the sort of character that 'learns' to become a good person. He is self-centered from the beginning of the first game to the end of the last one.

Is there any other Thief fans that had the same impression?
    Or, to bring back the main question, which character(s) had a great effect on you?

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

I'm torn, truly, between Big Boss in MGS3, or Solid Snake in earlier MG games (MG, MG2, MGS1). They're really the only protaganists in a video game that i've really cared about. Too many of them these days are either silent, have no personality, or are just plain annoying (See: Tidus from FFX and Raiden from MGS2, namely).
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That's like a crack-head asking for $5 on Credit.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

nameless one, nuff said .
    Gareth has class, so has JC Denton .

Semisalis

Solid Snake from the MGS series, he is a well thought out and developed character which I believe to be the best video game protagonist ever.
    In ethical theory, I should care. I know that I should care. However, emotionally, to be perfectly honest, I don't give a damn.
    --Darth Wong

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Garrett, Max Payne and the Postal Dude
    Garrett because he is cool is more human then most main characters(being selfish).
    And Max because you feel sorry for this tortured man.
    He had everything going for himself and one night everything is smashed.
    And the Postal Dude, well he rocks.

Originally posted by TB666@May 18 2005, 05:58 AM
    the Postal Dude
    [...]
    And the Postal Dude, well he rocks.
    Hehe....nice choice. I love that game.

Aside from that character, I would pick Minsc, from Baldur's Gate. I just love that character.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Garret, of course. I would say more but Rusty got it spot on. He's not a character that tries to make you like him, he just has this style which draws the player to him.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Very good characters have already been mentioned, I just want to add two more:

Serious Sam. Remember: "Double your gun, double your fun." :cool

Victor Troska. Poor guy who doesn't want to fight again gains an important role in the resistance to repulse the Russkies from Nogova. The story has a very poor ending :sad

Fatigue's Avatar Civis

nameless one, nuff said .
    Heh, pretty much all the characters from Torment were awesome, specially Morte, that jabbering skulls spats with Annah were hilarious. Hmm speaking of skulls, anyone remember Murray (sp?) from the Monkey Island series? "Stride through the Gates of Hell?" "Alright, ROLL, ROLL through the gates of hell!" :lol

Anyways, (with adventure games in mind) I'll nominate Manny Calavera from Grim Fandango...geeze it's been ages since I played that game, have to see if it's still stuffed in my 'old games' box. Uhh who else, definitely Minsc (and Boo of course&#33 from the BG series...ooh, and for memorably I'd have to say the G-Man (need I say any more?) not a protagonist (could be an antagonist for some), but still a main character that'll stick in my mind for years to come(lets face it; he's awesome and you all know it *tongue*). Can't think of anyone else at the moment (beyond the usual suspects; aka Gordan Freeman, the Master Chief and JC Denton)...apart from one character, who's name escapes me, from Aliens vs Predator 2 - I remember him because of this line: "Oh God that better be a boot, tell me that is a boot....Heeyyy it's a boot!" :lol Cracked me up first time I heard it, temporarily distracting me from all the spooky noises and dark corners.
    Lurking somewhere in the grey haze...

Faenaris's Avatar Son of Dorn

I loved Max Payne. The sarcasm, the torment, the "I-don't-give-a-damn"-routine. Respect!
    Son of Acutulus, member of The House of the Wolf / Signature by King Mong

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

Indeed, how could I forget. Max Payne trumps em all. :shocked
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That's like a crack-head asking for $5 on Credit.

Irenicus from Baldur's Gate 2
    or
    Albedo from Xenosaga

Most villians on games now a days are wattered down or dry now since devlopers are making them for kiddies and the fact that PC RPGs are practically a dead genre. They usually had very good villians
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Originally posted by Kanaric@May 18 2005, 01:40 PM
    Irenicus from Baldur's Gate 2
    or
    Albedo from Xenosaga

Most villians on games now a days are wattered down or dry now since devlopers are making them for kiddies and the fact that PC RPGs are practically a dead genre. They usually had very good villians
    Iranicus is a good villian....but then shouldn't he go in a different thread?

Yeah, I would say Max Payne because he has a human personality. He has a way of showing how he feels even when he is doing a mission. And he never seems to forget what troubles him (his wife's demise), which really makes him a special character. He is also complex, just like a human being.
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Good guys: Max Payne
    Bad guys: Baron Harkonnen in Emperor: Battle for Dune

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Originally posted by barbarion horde@May 17 2005, 10:58 PM
    Solid Snake from the MGS series, he is a well thought out and developed character which I believe to be the best video game protagonist ever.
    Right on.
    I also like Snake a lot. He looks like the standard kind of video game hero, but he is simply better presented than most (if not all) others.

Fenix and Jimmy Raynor from StarCraft.

Hamelkart's Avatar Senator

Guybrush Threepwood. The greatest loser and idiot the game world has ever seen.
    His comments cracked me up countless times.
    PADAJ SILO I NEPRAVDO!

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Forgot about Fenix. Great guy... ah, robot... ah, whatever. And I personally liked Kerrigan, before and after the transformation.

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Sam Fisher. You know you want to be him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast