Thread: The Americas are special?

Default The Americas are special?

I started up a game as GB last night to see how that would go and had the 13 colonies right from the start... was sure I had the startpros from the patch. Oh-well, decided to go through the colonies and see what there is to see. Remember, this is in 1700 at the start of the game. I was able to build, in the colonies, real cannons and howertzers and such, things you can't make in Europe until you research various technologies. Might be something that needs to get looked at.

Default Re: The Americas are special?

I've got a few questions

Are you using the IS scripting.lua file? If so, which version did you pick (the "start with protectorates" version or the "start without protectorates and never get them" version)? Can you still play as minor factions? If you can, you do need to get the new startpos.esf that came with the latest patch, and there are directions to get it in the download link and changelog thread stickied at the top.

If you'd like how protectorates were handled in the vanilla version, just delete the scripting.lua file next to the startpos.esf file, and then follow the directions for restoring the vanilla startpos.esf file in that thread.

As far as the cannon thing is concerned - yup, that's intentional, but keep in mind that they've got a recruitment limit.

I tried a portugal campaign yesterday and their Colonial Militia in Goa had 50 accuracy! It might be possible you overlooked something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy_knight View Post
    I tried a portugal campaign yesterday and their Colonial Militia in Goa had 50 accuracy! It might be possible you overlooked something.
    that does seem a bit high but maybe its to help portugal fight off the marathas

Colonial militia has decent accuracy (they had to hunt with their muskets with greater regularity), but they have terrible reloading, worse than European militia. That said, Colonial militia are superior to European militia, they were used with much more regularity in those theaters.

Quixote, I'm playing in the New World for the first time with a French campaign (I'd avoided it up to now because of the lack of naval invasions) -- I have to say you did some great work with the Native Americans; they're tough but can be beat with good tactics. In particular I've found good cavalry to be very effective against them. I like the way you balanced the 'super' units like Medicine Men by making them much smaller -- they can be a real horror if they get to grips with your line, but if you get a few volleys against them before they close, you can shred them. All in all it's truly a blast trying to expand in the Americas