Thread: Tip: Native musketmen auxiliaries as cavalry killers

Primicerius

Icon14 Tip: Native musketmen auxiliaries as cavalry killers

I discovered this evil tactic almost by accident, hope it might come handy for someone.

I used to hire musketmen auxiliaries as a cheap filler in my North American army without any clear idea how to use them efficiently. Staying invisible while walking feature is not working very well against the AI: it still 'sees' the stealthy units somehow and sends cavalry to 'clean the field' right away.

Anyway, I had an army with 5 such 'fillers' in it. Not being sure how to use them in the battle in a meaningful manner I placed them on a side in a clear field, intending to attack the AI Iroquois position with my smaller force of Hessians instead.

Upon the battle start, it became clear that my main army was within the range of the Iroquois cannon. Just poking the AI's resolve, I sent an outfit of light cavalry towards their artillery position. Of course, the AI responded by sending lancers to intercept. Here comes the fun part. I ran my light cavalry back not towards the main army, but rather - towards (and through) the crouching musketmen in the meadow; sensing no threat from my main army, the AI followed in hot pursuit.

One salvo from all 5 musketmen units and bye, bye lancers with zero losses amongst the musketeers! rinse, repeat... That latter part, of course, would not work against a human player, but the AI seems to forget about what it does not see that very instant.

I guess, this tactic would work with any cheap 'hide anywhere' unit like Central European pandours, etc.
    Last edited by Slaists; May 01, 2009 at 01:13 PM.

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Tip: Native musketmen auxiliaries as cavalry killers

nice idea, never thought of it, I just used them as a cheap, expendable flanking force, I will try this

Don't they have a slightly longer range than Hessian/Line Infantry? Makes them useful for the first few volleys.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Well what you describe is an exploit of the stupid AI. It simply shouldn't send its lancers in. Besides, it'll send them right into your main line if you draw your cavalry back to that so it's nothing special about the natives.

Like all skirmishers they have a longer range and shoot better. They're especially useful in the early game before you get fire by rank because you can spread them out completely so they'll all shoot.

I typically use irregulars for harassing the enemy, they more than pull their weight unless the AI tries to do melee (in which case I just retreat the attacked unit and rotate the other ones so that I can shoot the opponent in the flanks). Be aware though that this tactic doesn't work well against native soldiers because they move a bit faster.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Well what you describe is an exploit of the stupid AI. It simply shouldn't send its lancers in. Besides, it'll send them right into your main line if you draw your cavalry back to that so it's nothing special about the natives.

Like all skirmishers they have a longer range and shoot better. They're especially useful in the early game before you get fire by rank because you can spread them out completely so they'll all shoot.

I typically use irregulars for harassing the enemy, they more than pull their weight unless the AI tries to do melee (in which case I just retreat the attacked unit and rotate the other ones so that I can shoot the opponent in the flanks). Be aware though that this tactic doesn't work well against native soldiers because they move a bit faster.
    Well, maybe it IS an exploit, but it sure looked nice in the first person mode: the crouching natives getting up from the grass and slaughtering the charging cavalry. I know, I am an addict . I haven't been able to draw AI cavalry towards the main line in the same fashion (unless my main line had cannons in it; which, of course, is an AI cavalry magnet at any time, anywhere).

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Well, maybe it IS an exploit, but it sure looked nice in the first person mode: the crouching natives getting up from the grass and slaughtering the charging cavalry. I know, I am an addict . I haven't been able to draw AI cavalry towards the main line in the same fashion (unless my main line had cannons in it; which, of course, is an AI cavalry magnet at any time, anywhere).
    Hmm strange, they almost always either take the bait or try to flank me, running straight into an infantry square

Primicerius

Hmm strange, they almost always either take the bait or try to flank me, running straight into an infantry square
    If I am defending: sure, that's what they always do to me too -- sacrificing its cavalry is the first order of AI's business What I was referring to here was a situation when the player is the attacking side. I know even when attacking it's easy to turn the AI defender into a kamikaze attacker by sending a cannon ball or two at their position. This time, I just did not feel like it.

Re-using is a bit on the exploit side yes, but for the first round not at all. It's one of the most common tactics, a unit pursuing a weaker unit, being surprised by a bigger force. Given the "chase the retreat" use that cavalry had in this era, this actually happened a lot in fake retreats (frederick the great comes to mind)

Quote Originally Posted by erebrus View Post
    Re-using is a bit on the exploit side yes, but for the first round not at all. It's one of the most common tactics, a unit pursuing a weaker unit, being surprised by a bigger force. Given the "chase the retreat" use that cavalry had in this era, this actually happened a lot in fake retreats (frederick the great comes to mind)
    I agree that it should happen sometimes but not if the AI has a good general... Ah I forgot, we don't even have a working AI yet