Thread: Help a noob out, Increasing Unit firing ranges

Default Help a noob out, Increasing Unit firing ranges

Hi all

Mr Noob from Noobs Street, Noobsville here. All i want to do is increase the firing range of all ranged units (not cannons). I know some larger mods include this, but for now all i want is increased range before I start tinkering with AI mods.

I havent unpacked anything. Can some give me quick run through which files to change and how to change them?

Or even better is there a mini mod out there that does this already??

Do your good deed for the day. Help a noob.

Default Re: Help a noob out, Increasing Unit firing ranges

Read this short tutorial first: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239933

Use the Pack File Manager to open patch.pack. Go to db->projectiles_tables. Extract it and add it to a new .pack. You'll see what to edit.

argh i just cant get this working at all.

got latest version of pack file manager. Go to my steam folder, go to my data folder of ETR and find the patch.pack file. Open it up with pack manager and all seems ok so far.

I scroll down to 'db', open it, scroll down to projectiles tables, and then i am stuck. I click the drop down box and nothing is there, i get one option titled 'projectiles' which if i click on i get error message says 'unahndled exception has occured bla bla.....method not found, void common DBFile etc etc'.

The same happens no matter which file i click on. I then try to extract the file assuming i have to extract it elsewhere, edit it, then save it back over the original. However the file i end up with after extracting is not a pack file and i cant open it or edit it??

Please help, all i want to do is add abit extra to the fiting range of all infantry units....

does the pack manager need to be in a certain folder when I run it for it to work? I can find no simple instructions on how to use this pack manager to do simply edits?

horay got it working!! delete thread

well not quite. after installing alot of mods (smoke mod, aum and loads of other new units) i check the pack file and the ranges of the units are still showing to what i increased them to, however when i check in game on campaign map and in battle the ranges are still showing default ranges? any ideas?