Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lesson 2 - Part A: creating an avatar

Roloc's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Lesson 2 - Part A: creating an avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NLegari View Post
    Here is mine:
    WTF is that?????

I'm having some trouble actually getting the layer to fill to black (outline).. also I seem to have no layers present in the right hand side toolbar and when I select create new layer it doesn't show up there... don't know what has happened..

I don't even have a 'layer tooldbar' when i open up GIMP Press CTRL+L , and then right click below your 'background layer' .. Then select 'New layer' , and choose 'Transparecy'

And when you choose Transparecy , you won't notice your second layer

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

Quite good
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

lots have not finshed their work yet give them time

BENDER!!

| "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." |

My Workshop |The Graphics Workshop| Critic's Quill |Imperium Graecorum

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

Hmmm... not quite satisfied with the results but it wasn't the best motive to begin with. The shadow effect is barely noticeable and the lack of colors doesn't help. Anyway, I'll try one more time with another motive before moving on to part B.

First attempt

2nd
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The tail disappeared somewhere along the process for reasons unknown.

3rd

I got lazy and just slapped on the first background effect I randomly clicked

Last one

I actually think my first and last attempt were the best ones. For some reason my shadowing either becomes too much or almost non-existent.
    Last edited by Sevasti; May 03, 2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: 2nd, 3rd & 4th attempt

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et dřgn
    Og du trur du ser ting ĺ sĺ klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til fřr eg fĺr en advokat

Quote Originally Posted by KingTheoden1 View Post
    I don't even have a 'layer tooldbar' when i open up GIMP Press CTRL+L , and then right click below your 'background layer' .. Then select 'New layer' , and choose 'Transparecy'

And when you choose Transparecy , you won't notice your second layer
    The issue I have is that I don't even have any layers present! When I open a new image there are no layers in the toolbar??? And I can't create a new one? What is going on! >.<

like whole layer toolbar is not showing up ?

anyway try uninstalling and reinstalling

ClimhazarD, I guess your layer toolbar is simply not "activated" currently. In order to do that, go to Window -> Dialogs and select "Layers". A new dialog for your layers should appear.

Is this what you wanted?

I couldn't find a border that looked good, so let me know if it's mandatory. This is Theodotos II, son of my namesake and actual avatar.
    Son of PW

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

@Sevasti i think one is enough!
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

Sevasti, you can also experiment around with different colors for your shadows. White can be nice sometimes (although you should almost always turn down the opacity at least a bit) and you can try other colors as well.

You can also try to use different border sizes, because sometimes a very thin border looks better than a bigger one.

Good job anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodotos I View Post
    Is this what you wanted?

I couldn't find a border that looked good, so let me know if it's mandatory. This is Theodotos II, son of my namesake and actual avatar.
    Yeah, it's great. Maybe try to make the image a bit smaller though so it doesn't touch the border.
    Last edited by Astaroth; May 04, 2009 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Sevasti, you can also experiment around with different colors for your shadows. White can be nice sometimes (although you should almost always turn down the opacity at least a bit) and you can try other colors as well.

You can also try to use different border sizes, because sometimes a very thin border looks better than a bigger one.

Good job anyway.

Yeah, it's great. Maybe try to make the image a bit smaller though so it doesn't touch the border.
    Really, there isn't one. As I say, I couldn't find anything I liked, so I just used the image. I'll redo if it's necessary to pass the class, but let me know.
    Son of PW

Ah, I was referring to the distance between the head itself and the edge of the image.

I personally think that there should be around ~0.2 centimeters between an object and the image's edge. But really, your avatar is perfectly fine, you don't have to redo it. It's just a suggestion for future avatars.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Ah, I was referring to the distance between the head itself and the edge of the image.

I personally think that there should be around ~0.2 centimeters between an object and the image's edge. But really, your avatar is perfectly fine, you don't have to redo it. It's just a suggestion for future avatars.
    Gotcha. I'm thinking of redoing my present avatar on this style. I like it. Thanks.
    Son of PW

So I managed to get the layer toolbar and all that back, but when opening a new image to work on it has no layers... I can create a layer for it but it only applies to the image and doesn't show up on the layers toolbar... Any idea whats going on?

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it had no effect, same problems in the new install..

PubliusKhannus's Avatar Senator

Well images dont show up with layers, merely the background layer, you create the layers to WORK on the image as you go, that said when ever i reopen a saved project, all of my layers in gimp are folded into one, which makes it nigh impossible to modify text. Please correct me if i am wrong astaroth

Check out my collection of poetry, prose, & comedy @ https://badwriter.net

Screw you guys.. I am going home! (Cartman says)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast