Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is it that the Orks of the 40K universe developed a cockney accent?

Default How is it that the Orks of the 40K universe developed a cockney accent?

Did human cockneys and Orks mix together at some point in history? Or is it just because the Orcs in the LOTRs triology sounded like that?

Default Re: How is it that the Orks of the 40K universe developed a cockney accent?

Orks: cockney mixed with ebonics and Sierra Leone/Liberian culture.

Default Re: How is it that the Orks of the 40K universe developed a cockney accent?

Quote Originally Posted by Helm View Post
    Did human cockneys and Orks mix together at some point in history? Or is it just because the Orcs in the LOTRs triology sounded like that?
    WH40K is earlier than the LOTR films.

Orks are cockneys cos its funny, also, WH40K is made up, so thats why it doesn't make too much sense. Don't take it too seriously ok?
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Life is Rubbish View Post
    WH40K is earlier than the LOTR films.
    But we didn't hear the Orks actuallty speak with voice acting until after the LOTRs films.

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Life is Rubbish View Post
    WH40K is made up, so thats why it doesn't make too much sense.
    You mean it's not actually real?

Vulpex's Avatar Civis

Brittish game, it makes much sense.

I would like to point out that the original board-game, though British, did not come with voices.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    I would like to point out that the original board-game, though British, did not come with voices.
    If you made voices while playing it then it did come with voices,

The Orcs in the LOTR books use words that seem to indicate a working-class London accent so it seems to have stemmed from there.

Fough orks ’ave always been written like dis in da text. But I neva right fought of dem as soundin’ like cockneys.

Urr! Keep dem wurrin' teknikol bitz away!

It just fits, I guess. There's something uncouth, no-nonsense and honest about an exagerated Cockney accent. When I first read the LOTR I envisaged the orcs as having London accents, but then again I'm a Yorkshireman so there's maybe some prejudice in my imaginings. I don't know where my copy of the book is but I'm sure there are words used by the orcs that strongly indicate a Cockney accent.

They remind me more of Africans than working class English, I think the 40K orks are heavily based on modern African nations like Liberia, Congo and Sierra Leone.

a lot of the words the Orks use like digga is slang featured in the various African-English dialects...
    Last edited by Pallantides; May 03, 2009 at 02:11 PM.

In radio play of da ’obbit I ’eard all da Dwarvez ’ad Yorkshire accents. In da LOTRz films dey ended up wiv Scottish accents fough. Dey bof seem ta fit like.

But fin’ is LOTRz is a fantasy settin’ so you can do whateva ya like. In sci-fi settin’ it seems outta place.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallantides View Post

a lot of the words the Orks use like digga is slang featured in the various African-English dialects...

I think digga is just the uncouth way of saying digger. I have to wonder if cockneys actually offended that their accent is associated with an uncouth and not particularly bright fantasy/alien race.
    Last edited by Helm; May 03, 2009 at 02:21 PM.

I have to wonder if orks actually offended that their accent is associated with an uncouth and not particularly bright alien race.
    i fixd it for ya!

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

"Wai do dem greenie boyz tok all funny'n soch," youz all saiz? "Wai?"

I'ze da warbaus, an' I saiz iz you 'umies tokkin all funny'n soch. We'ze Orkz 'er made fer fightin' an winnin'! Green iz best, an we'ze toks da best!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Orks?? Offense by their own accent??

Sorry, but for Ork nothing is more interetsing than a dead Ork.

How is it that the Orks of the 40K universe developed a cockney accent?
    Because GW and Relic said so. Don't argue, or you'll end up like the squats, if you catch my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by B-rad View Post
    Because GW and Relic said so. Don't argue, or you'll end up like the squats, if you catch my drift.
    Not just killed off but completely erased from history as though I never existed?

Not just killed off but completely erased from history as though I never existed?
    Now you're catching on.

But, in all seriousness, the accent sort of fits with them. You have to admit the orks wouldn't be as funny without that accent, either.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

BECAUSE WE'Z DA ORKZ 'N WE'Z DA BEST. DERE'S ONLY ONE BREED 'O HUMIES DATS ORKY ENUFF TA TALK ALMOST LIKE US AND YE'LL FIND EM IN DA YOO-KAY, SOME LITTLE ISLAND PLACE DAT 'APPENS TO BE PRETTY GREEN OF ITSELF ALREADY. YE'LL FIND DAT DEM HUMIES DERE GOT A FOND LOVE FER DRINKIN', LOOTIN', SMASHIN' 'N STOMPIN' 'N DON'T TAKE NO CRAP FROM NONE OF DEM MAINLAND HUMIES FROM YUROP. YE'RE BEIN' DUMB BY FINKIN WE TALKZ LIKE DEM. NAH, DEY TALKZ LIKE US, 'N DEY DO SO COZ DEY'Z HOOLIGANZ 'N PUBCRAWLAZ 'N KNOW HOW TA GET RITE STUKK IN, YEAH?

DEY'Z PRETTY ORKY FER A BUNCHA HUMIES SO YA BETTER KNOW WHO'S DA BOSS OVA DERE.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    BECAUSE WE'Z DA ORKZ 'N WE'Z DA BEST. DERE'S ONLY ONE BREED 'O HUMIES DATS ORKY ENUFF TA TALK ALMOST LIKE US AND YE'LL FIND EM IN DA YOO-KAY, SOME LITTLE ISLAND PLACE DAT 'APPENS TO BE PRETTY GREEN OF ITSELF ALREADY. YE'LL FIND DAT DEM HUMIES DERE GOT A FOND LOVE FER DRINKIN', LOOTIN', SMASHIN' 'N STOMPIN' 'N DON'T TAKE NO CRAP FROM NONE OF DEM MAINLAND HUMIES FROM YUROP. YE'RE BEIN' DUMB BY FINKIN WE TALKZ LIKE DEM. NAH, DEY TALKZ LIKE US, 'N DEY DO SO COZ DEY'Z HOOLIGANZ 'N PUBCRAWLAZ 'N KNOW HOW TA GET RITE STUKK IN, YEAH?

DEY'Z PRETTY ORKY FER A BUNCHA HUMIES SO YA BETTER KNOW WHO'S DA BOSS OVA DERE.
    You are not an Ork. Real orks have spelling and grammar that is nothing less than a complete murder of the Queen's English.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast