Thread: Digital Cameras: Any Experts?

smack's Avatar Complaints Department

I'm buying a camera this week. I used to teach 35mm photography, so I'll be disappointed with a truly bad camera. However, I do want something small, light, and cheap. I'm not going to take award-winning photos with it, but on the other hand, there must be some quality.

I long had my eye on the Kyocera Finecam, because it's tiny and sexy and that's important (I hike alot). However, it does seem to lack even the potential for great pictures. So now I'm willing to get a little bulkier.

Any recommendations?

Edit: And yes, I have done lots of research in the past on this, so know the tech details. I also do digital picture modding with photoshop, etc.., and am a tech support person, so no need to go over the basics. I just need a few inspiring ideas..

Now looking at Konica X50
    another review

Here's the new camera on it's way (hopefully): Uglier than the Kyocera, bulkier. But much richer performance I think

In patronicum svb: Spartan
    Patronum celcum quo: teecee, Old Celt, SigniferOne
    If you dare: My Journal or If you care: The Price Tag

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Those options look okay. Check around on Pricewatch.com. You could probably find a 5 megapixel for what your two cost. From what I'm told the Kyocera cam tends to lean more towards the 5400K spectrum in it's color balance. While this slight blueness could be easily corrected in Photoshop, it's just kinda sucks to have to. Apparently, no amount of color balancing fixes this completely.

For color quality, I'd have to say SONY.

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Cool, thank you. I'm getting ready to buy the Konica..but am still considering. $250.00 for 5 megapixels and ultracompact...

It didn't get the best reviews, but it seems solid enough. I'm already used to the idea of having less optical zoom power, but it least it has some, and macro. No more days of hiking with a 35 mm strapped to the outside of my pack.

Thanks also for the reminder about Kyocera color issues. It seems the Konica also has a few purple-ation problems, but it doesn't seem too serious.

Gads. I can't believe all the features cameras are getting now. I used to pine that a camera should have audio recording. Now it seems they all do. Well, I'm going to go with the Konica, because if I don't, I'll never make up my mind.

Thanks again, and I'll post pics when it arrives in a few days.

-Smack

I long had my eye on the Kyocera Finecam, because it's tiny and SEXY ???
    dude did you just call a camara sexy???? :blink :blink :blink

anyways, Kyocera Finecam looks way better than the Konica. It looks like a good camara, first time i see a design like that too.
    Bombing for peace is like :wub:ing for virginity.

see, even you think its sexy...

Freaking great design, but the Kyocera is just too small: lacks some optics and features. Still a fine little camera from what I read...

And the Konica is on its way...

Cool, a compact digicam with a MACRO!!! That's pretty awesome. No more changing lenses would be great.

Again, look around on Pricewatch. I saw a Fuji and an HP 5mp in your price range. I'm not familiar with the ratings on these cameras though.

Personally, I recommend the Sony DSC-T1. All the features you want PLUS 5 megapixels, but it's about $100 more than your budget.

here

Yeah, I hope so! Freaky internal folding optics......I hope it is rugged. I would guess so, since it's also popular with divers (waterproof case...no I'm not getting that&#33

Yeah, basically I want to be able to fudge a good shot (publishible) here and there with the digital camera, but there is really no use in me going after truly decent optics, because, I'm not going to spend the money. I can always borrow my bro's Hassleblad medium format camera for the real photography (everyone in my family shoots pics on some level).

So I'm willing to go sort of basement with the digital option. Even this model has potential to produce quality. Not Ansel Adams quality (little metering control), but magazine quality nonetheless. I'm excited if you can't tell.

Edit: I did use pricewatch, of course! The camera is listed street at $399.00 (yeah, right&#33, I'm getting it for 250

Hassleblad medium format
    mmmm...DAMN fine camera! heh, I still use an old Canon AE-1 But at least I've got the full prime lens package for it including the very rare prime 300mm. It needs a little servicing, but I've been using it for 20 years now. Never had so much as 1 problem out of it. I've even only had to replace the battery twice!!!

So are you going for thet slightly better 3mp camera or the basic 5mp?

Edit: I did use pricewatch, of course! The camera is listed street at $399.00 (yeah, right&#33, I'm getting it for 250
    Pricewatch has yet to let me down. Out of curiosity, have you looked at Ebay at all?

here

Sounds like me and my Pentax 1000. Used that for 20 years myself. Shouldn't have hiked the desert with it. It got killed in white sands, NM

No, I don't Ebay, for the most part. Not on a new item at least. I'm behind the times hehe... I'd rather pay 10% extra from a dealer with a store. My friend bought his first powerbook from eBay. I was shocked. I would melt if there were problems with something that expensive....

I totally agree. Just look for the sellers with good ratings. I know a few people that got burned on ebay, but it was because they bought from a new seller. They didn't want to pay the extra $10 in shipping from the reputable dealer. Personally, I buy and sell on ebay frequently and I've yet to ever have a problem.

Can't hurt to look around and see whats available. You NEVER KNOW. Ebay is FULL of those once in a lifetime deals.

here

I'd actually suggest Canon's new digital elph, but it's only 4 mpx.
    The Sony DSC T1 has slightly sub-par photo quality, though is incredibly convenient, it's still just designed to be a point-and-shoot camera.

Yeah, a lot of reviewers it seems are having a hard time using the old line: "It's just a point and shoot" when the average Joe can turn out decent pictures in some variation of auto mode. Yes, the art is less in that, but the results are fine. The one thing that I don't think I'm going to enjoy with the new camera is the purple-flare up with bright sun pics and the slightly soft images it makes. Photoshop would have been my friend anyways, so now it'll be a regular after-filter it seems for anything I really care about. 10 minutes to set up and save filter. 1 second to apply it to a batch of photos. So not too big a deal.

The Konica arrives tomorrow.