View Poll Results: What is your favorite WWII Rifle and Why?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • K98 Mauser

44 28.76%
  • Mosin-Nagant

16 10.46%
  • M1 Garand

56 36.60%
  • Lee-Enfield

23 15.03%
  • 1903 Springfield

4 2.61%
  • Type 97 Ashikaga (I think)

1 0.65%
  • Other (please post it)

9 5.88%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite WWII Rifle?

Legio XX Valeria Victrix's Avatar Great Scott!

I have to say, I love the M1 Garand. It's an exquisite weapon, and I think it played a huge role in Allied success in the war.

"For what is the life of a man, if it is not interwoven with the life of former generations by a sense of history?" - Cicero

Favourite? I haven't shot any of these rifles. I guess the best would be the M1 Garand. Other than that I don't really feel like clinging myself to a certain rifle for subjective reasons. Btw. it's Arisaka Type 97.

M1 Garand. I shot it in Medal of Honour :grin

Not sure how realistic it is in the game but you can just feel the power and destruction. As for accuracy that's another story. But who cares when you're spreading hundreds of bullets all over the place, you are bound to hit something or someone.

Shooting a semi-automatic with an 8-round clip is hardly "spreading hundreds of bullets all over the place" but the superiority of the Garand is indeed due to it's semi-auto capabilities and it was still accurate enough to hit the target over the required distances.

M1 Garand but i like the Lee-Enfield too.

Spetsnaz's Avatar Miles

But who cares when you're spreading hundreds of bullets all over the place, you are bound to hit something or someone.
    Well M1 Garand isnt a Thompson(it shoots 25 shoots a minute ),so it will take a few minutes to shoot 100 bullets,all enemies will hide in that time :whistle
    also what kind of rifles were talking about?automatic, or normal.If automatic then i choose soviet AVS-36(7,62mm,1500m range,40shots a minute.)
    Pround member of the russian empire and a comrade of TranceCrusader, therussian91, jdblair5, crazyru$$in, Russkisoldat, JvlivsCeasar, Kdar, Valentin the II, KarakurT and Ricgard. For God ,Tsar and Homeland.

Legio XX Valeria Victrix's Avatar Great Scott!

Originally posted by Rapax@May 17 2005, 11:35 AM
    Favourite? I haven't shot any of these rifles. I guess the best would be the M1 Garand. Other than that I don't really feel like clinging myself to a certain rifle for subjective reasons. Btw. it's Arisaka Type 97.
    Bah! I knew I had the Japanese one wrong...thanks for clearing that up.

EDIT: and to clear up your question, Spetsnaz, I was referring to semi-auto or bolt action rifles.

"For what is the life of a man, if it is not interwoven with the life of former generations by a sense of history?" - Cicero

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

garand as far as rifles go, but I think the best smallarms weps was the m1 carbine, light easy to use, reliable and easy to make. The weight played a huge role, especially in the jungles of the pacific.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Lupine_Shawn's Avatar Libertus

M1 Garand cause american stuff is better than most stuff.

Spetsnaz's Avatar Miles

semi-auto or bolt action rifles
    Then the M1 Garand.
    Pround member of the russian empire and a comrade of TranceCrusader, therussian91, jdblair5, crazyru$$in, Russkisoldat, JvlivsCeasar, Kdar, Valentin the II, KarakurT and Ricgard. For God ,Tsar and Homeland.

The carbine may have been light and easy to use but the stopping power was minmal and was described in korea as just making people madder. I like the mosin because I am a fan of Russian history and arms. =P

Considering the general quality Mosin's were mostly crap. I'd say K98 or Lee-Enfield.

Originally posted by Lupine_Shawn@May 17 2005, 05:07 PM
    M1 Garand cause american stuff is better than most stuff.
    MG42/34
    Tiger tank
    Zero plane
    T34
    Bren
    german hand grenade

War movies aint the best source of info.

Very few american things in ww2 topped other countries.

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Originally posted by Knight_Yellow@May 17 2005, 10:21 AM
    MG42/34
    Tiger tank
    Zero plane
    T34
    Bren
    german hand grenade

War movies aint the best source of info.

Very few american things in ww2 topped other countries.
    switch TIger to Panther, and I 100% agree with you here ...

favourite would be the Stg 44 :p
    Lee-enfield otherwise
    Garand for semi autos .

Went with the Garand. Semi-automatic, and as previously stated, accurate enough to get the job done quite well, and was able to be produced in massive numbers.

As for that list of things supposedly better than American stuff, why do you have the Zero in there? Yeah...Lovely, right up until it got hit (by anything..no armor for the pilot, no self sealing fuel tanks, no fire extinguishing equipment), or tried to turn at high speeds, diving at high speeds, or ran into pretty much any American fighter from 1943 on. Sure, it was the greatest ever compared to P-40s and F4F Wildcats (although Wildcats did do reasonably well with an experienced pilot), but a P-38 or F4U could take it down pretty quickly. The A6M5 was rushed out, which then got promptly owned by the new F6F (heard of the Marianas Turkey Shoot?). The F6F had an 18-1 kill ratio. I dont think even the Sherman vs. Tiger kill ratio was THAT lopsided.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Originally posted by MadBurgerMaker@May 17 2005, 07:36 PM
    I dont think even the Sherman vs. Tiger kill ratio was THAT lopsided.
    4:1 and that's just for Panthers. Though of course you might argue what's lopsided. Do I start worrying at 5:1 or can I go up to 10:1?

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Shermans weren't nicknamed "zippos" and "rolansons" "steel coffins" or tommycookers" for naught ...
    and low velocity 75 mm gun = bad idea .

Originally posted by Rapax@May 17 2005, 09:59 AM
    4:1 and that's just for Panthers. Though of course you might argue what's lopsided. Do I start worrying at 5:1 or can I go up to 10:1?
    You can start worrying whenever you feel its necessary.

Personally, Ill take a 10:1 over an 18:1 any day, but I wont be bragging about the superiority of either piece of equipment. :mellow
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

Mosin-Nagant all the way. First I liked the M1 Garand very much, but after meeting the Mosin I fell for that one. How I love to own one of those.

ajimenez3's Avatar Ducenarius

Originally posted by Rapax@May 17 2005, 12:59 PM
    It was usualy said that it took 5 Shermans to take out a Tiger, but it was probaly higher if the ground was open and the Tiger could spot all it targets. It was a situation where the saying "that quantity has a quality all it's own" took on a whole new meaning on how the American armor beat the German armor in WWII.

On topic. I would have to go withe the Garand. While alm,ost everyone else was still screwing around with bolt action rifles the American military incorparated a semi-automatic rifle that had a very high powered bullet and high rate of fire that made one American rifleman the equal to 2 or 3 other rifleman in the matter of firepower. Firepower comes down to the volume of fire that a squad can bring to bear on the enemy and the Garand gave the American rifle squad a great advantage over other rifle squads of the time.

Semper Fi
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.
    John Bernard Books

Proud Member of the TWC Plebians/Peasants

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast