Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snaga are WAY to POWERFUL for being Slaves!!!

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Snaga are WAY to POWERFUL for being Slaves!!!

I'm playing the Dwarves and I fight the Goblins constantly! But a majorityof their force is Snaga (Because it is cheap and massive numbers), but they SLAUGHTER my dwarven warriors on 1 on 1! And don't forget their javillens! So by the time I get to the (I've already taken a beating with thrown spears), I should be able to slaughter them up close. NOT SO, they stand their ground and beat the poop out of my warriors. A horrible death to befall a son of Durin !!! They either need to be made more expensive, or make it to where they can't take shoot for damage or deal the same up close... Thanks

Hint, try a one on one from most basic dwarven units against Snaga, THE SNAGA WILL WIN !!!
    RTR RULES!!!!

Default Re: Snaga are WAY to POWERFUL for being Slaves!!!

Strongly second this motion.

MadTiest's Avatar Miles

I was suprised to read this, so I did a quick test. And a unit of snage does defeat a more expensive unit of dwarven warriors. 1 on 1 a single dwarf still beats a single snaga, but snage outnumber dwarves 2 to 1 (especially after a few javelin throws). But it is indeed strange a unit of snage so easily defeats a unit of dwarves (I had a 188 left I think, it would've been even more if I wasn't too lazy to do more hit and run)

Just did another battle. Now, the Gondorians had slightly lower morale towards the end because another unit was fleeing, but still weird that Gondorian infantry (about twice as expensive as snage) only had about 20/150 men left after taking on my snaga...

I haven't played OoMM yet, but with a good general (to negate the low morale) I expect I could do pretty well in the early game with a massive snaga army.

EDIT: Just did a quick campaign. 6 units of snaga (& faction leader general) vs 6 units of rebel beornings. Didn't use any proper tactics or the bodyguard in battle, because I just wanted to test the snaga (with a leader to compensate for low morale). I easily won, with 1000/1500 soldiers left. It's official: snaga >= Men ;-) (Well, maybe not, having a good general makes all the difference, but tests with only snaga also show their prowess, see above)

EDIT2:
    Whoever votes overpowered needs to learn the rock-paper-scissors system. In TATW it works like this: Trolls beat everything, Snaga beat trolls. I just defeated a unit of trolls with 2 units of snaga (+/- 700 gold snaga vs 1100 gold troll IIRC), and I had 300/501 snaga left.

EDIT: Olog-hai suck as well. I wish I could change my vote to ''they don't even show up on my scouter''
    3 units of snage vs 1 olog-hai (+/- 1000 gold vs 1500 gold) results in a victory for the snaga. 622/750 left. This is pretty ridiculous.
    Last edited by MadTiest; April 30, 2009 at 09:24 PM.

Ragnarök's Avatar Decanus

I have to agree with you. In the below battle I used the latest missile nerf of KK, but it was more a hunt then a battle.
    As you can see, the only unit that fought effectively was my dale cavalry. The Enemy had an army of snaga
    skirmisher and 4 goblin infantry. Even the high armor of the Axemen of Erebor was pierced by the snaga.

Could you force the AI to build more melee and/or nerf the snaga? This would improve the battles a lot.

Last edited by Ragnarök; April 30, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Brutis's Avatar Foederatus

i also find that there moral is 2 high for their lowest unit. when playin a battle i had a elven general bodyguard hit the left and anougher on their right flank. they didnt rout for a very long time, and they where led only by a captian

Snaga Skirmishers have AP for both their melee and ranged attacks, so despite their fairly low stats, they bulldoze through elite type units with their large numbers and hit and run tactics. Archers are the bane of them though.
    Last edited by Cleardream; April 30, 2009 at 09:35 PM.

Nazgűl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Snaga are very strong from what I've seen, I've only encountered them when helping my Dwarven allies as Silvan Elves, and the Snaga have a HUGE range, but since the battlefield was odd (They were shooting upwards), they hardly hit anything, so I don't know, they could really be that strong, I just never saw it.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

If you use crossbows ans throwing axes, the skirmishers do not stand up against the dwarves. And if you use shieldwall formation the warriors stand their ground and beat snaga infantry.
    But that is only my experience in campaign-battles with about 1000 mixed dwarves against 3000 goblins. no 1:1 tests.

Walkman810i's Avatar Biarchus

Their armor is pretty strong considering they are naked.

yeah the discription has them as lesser goblins prone to flee but they sure do stand and fight like damn good infantry for being a range troop

People, just remove their AP trait and lower their attack by 1 (for a start), you can easily change this by yourselves in like a minute or less.

Laetus

Actually I would like to have a bigger gap, between elites an merely militia. Not saying that elites, shouldn’t be beatable by cheap units, but with such low pool on elites, and their high cost, I would like them to perform better against merely slaves. Maybe lowering the overall attack of all units, to make the high armored elites, survive better? And yeah some of the goblins units seem to have unnatural high defense even with no armor at all Just my 2 cents. Other than that, its a great mod

Like J=A=L said, Snagas actually shouldn't have the armor-piercing attribute. This is what makes the snagas too powerful, especially against dwarves, because one volley of javelins halves the armor of the dwarves, which is their main advantage.

Will be fixed with the next patch.

@Ragnarök,
    My "fixed" missile EDU din't include javelins yet.

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

Nazgűl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    People, just remove their AP trait and lower their attack by 1 (for a start), you can easily change this by yourselves in like a minute or less.
    Where may we find this, if you would be so kind?
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

MadTiest's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgul-Killer View Post
    Where may we find this, if you would be so kind?
    export_descr_unit.txt in Third Age data folder.

;#################################################################
    ;###################### ORCS OF THE MM #########################
    ;#################################################################
    type Snaga Skirmishers
    dictionary Snaga_Skirmishers ; Snaga Skirmishers
    category infantry
    class missile
    voice_type Heavy
    banner faction main_missile
    banner holy crusade
    soldier snaga_skirmishers, 100, 0, 1
    mount_effect elephant +2
    attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, hardy, can_withdraw, start_not_skirmishing, free_upkeep_unit
    move_speed_mod 1.1
    formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square
    stat_health 1, 0
    stat_pri 7, 3, javelin, 55, 4, thrown, missile_mechanical, piercing, spear, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr ap, thrown
    stat_sec 3, 3, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, blunt, mace, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr ap
    stat_pri_armour 5, 1, 0, leather
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground 1, 1, 0, -1
    stat_mental 7, low, trained
    stat_charge_dist 15
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 370, 160, 75, 75, 370, 4, 100
    armour_ug_levels 2
    armour_ug_models snaga_skirmishers
    ownership hre, france
    era 0 hre, france
    era 1 hre, france
    era 2 hre, france
    recruit_priority_offset 0
    Removing the bold&underlined part should do the trick.. (or format your computer, I dunno)

you can just use the EDU that I have attached here and replace it with your current EDU in Third_Age/data:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=254765&page=11

Winner of 'Favorite M2TW Mod' and 'Favorite M2TW Modder' Award 2007 & 2008

I don't know how the recruitment for the AI works, but could you make them recruiting more melee infantry since the nerfed skirmisher would be pretty easy.

Most of Harad units in my game totally misses their skins when I have camera close to them(not a silver guys,they're completely invisible). If it's far away i can finally see their units.

i agree
    OoTMM and Mordor units that are like 250 strong should be made a lot weaker
    atm they can easily stand up to more expencive, lower numbered units
    isinguard in particular seems to have taken over rediculious amounts of land very quickly
    atleast on one game

It's not only the snaga, there are more skirmisher with armor piercing.. indeed most of the units have that very powerful attribute.
    For factions that rely highly on armor like the dwarves, since they have to resist a lot until they can reach the enemy, that's pretty deadly.
    Especially armor piercing missiles are dwarf-killers, in skirmish mode almost unreachable, only with special tactics..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast