Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: (UNOFFICIAL) New Faction Ideas

Ceasar Gubius's Avatar Ducenarius

Icon3 (UNOFFICIAL) New Faction Ideas

I've seen alot of different ideas and talk of new factions on other threads. So I figured it would be interesting to see what new factions people would have in mind to bring up the gameplay ... BTW, this is completely hypothetical and has no bearing on what the modders here do....

Primary idea I would have would to divide the Silvan Elves into Mirkwood and Lothlorien...
    RTR RULES!!!!

Default Re: (UNOFFICIAL) New Faction Ideas

change start date to 1050 to 1950TA

Manoflooks's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by lordyu View Post
    change start date to 1050 to 1950TA

It doesnt start in 1050. My Mordor campaign is 30 turns in and in the 2000s...
    Men plan.

Fatelaughs.

See my AAR, From Kingdom to Empire-An Ottoman AAR

maxi90's Avatar Campidoctor

i can only think of one good candidate: The Galadrim.

anotherone that could work would be Dundland... but i think that they are better as Isengard early infantry (although i hope they will increase their roster in the future)

edit: the mod start in TA 2955 i think..

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar Gubius View Post
    Primary idea I would have would to divide the Silvan Elves into Mirkwood and Lothlorien...
    That might make sense...

From what I know the team is already considering to split the Silvan Elves, but they haven't decided about it yet.

Another idea would have been to divide the Dwaves into an Erebor faction, and then make the have protectrate, the Blue Mountain clans...

Another concept would be to divide Eriador into a few smaller (Playable and nonplayable) factions... Like Have a Shire faction (Nonplayable hobbits) and make them a protectrate of another faction, The Dunedain (Playable). And last (Seeing there is no enemy factions in the region), have a neutral
    South-Farthing (Spelt right?), that makes quite a bit of money because of it's Tobacco, and may have ambition for the nearby regions... Now those are just a crazy idea
    RTR RULES!!!!

MadTiest's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    That might make sense...
    I think the devs mentioned this might happen in a later version.
    I think the current amount amount of playable factions is pretty good. Only thing that might be interesting is adding a few minor non-playable factions so the main factions don't start out as big. The reason I don't want new factions is because I'd rather have the devs spent the time improving the current factions (some factions already have a pretty sweet roster, but OoMM and Isengard for example really need more units before they start adding more factions). I'd rather have 12 perfect factions, each of which is very appealing and worth at least one playthrough, instead of say 16 factions of which I'd only be really interested in trying out a few (As is usually the case with a total war game for me).

The irony is that, except maybe the Dwarves, the elves are the least numerous (population-wise) of all the factions but will potentially be represented by 3 factions, 4 if you count the New Shores submod.

I think there's less dwarves unless I am mistaken...

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    The irony is that, except maybe the Dwarves, the elves are the least numerous (population-wise) of all the factions but will potentially be represented by 3 factions, 4 if you count the New Shores submod.
    LOL, I know, isn't that funny ... Maybe all the "Pointy-Ears" leaving middle earth should be made into the game as a statistic that influences the population growth of Elven cities???
    RTR RULES!!!!

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

I don't think any extra factions are needed. What is needed is to flesh out some of the existing factions.

Roma Surrectum 2.0 Team Member
    R.I.P Calvin

MadTiest's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post
    Agreed.

Maybe all the "Pointy-Ears" leaving middle earth should be made into the game as a statistic that influences the population growth of Elven cities???
    I'm not sure it's fun to be stuck with the same size (or even smaller) cities all game. (EDIT: well, you can also conquer bigger cities...but still)

Garet Jax's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by MadTiest View Post
    I'd rather have 12 perfect factions, each of which is very appealing and worth at least one playthrough, instead of say 16 factions of which I'd only be really interested in trying out a few (As is usually the case with a total war game for me).
    Completely agree with you here, although splitting Silvan Elves would be cool.
    Great minds think for themselves...

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    I don't think any extra factions are needed. What is needed is to flesh out some of the existing factions.
    I think it would be better to have more Nonplayable factions in-game. Otherwise these factions grow to fast...
    RTR RULES!!!!

What about a complete new alternative campaign for an earlier era, in wich you have Agmar and the three Arnorian Kingdoms (What are they again?). Now that would be really cool!

*Sorry for the double-post
    RTR RULES!!!!

Garet Jax's Avatar Civis

Just edit your existing post next time
    Great minds think for themselves...

Elfhelm's Avatar Biarchus

How about a Far SouthHarad/Khand/Nurn faction expanding the great Variag units and including the mysterious 'troll' men and their red tongues . The Galadrim should have their own faction like in LOTR-TW.
    Fangorn with puklemen,Tree Ents huorns and wood pixies! Only jokin with that last one! Perhaps it already exists but they are still talkin it over! The puklemen and the Ents I mean.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ceasar Gubius View Post
    What about a complete new alternative campaign for an earlier era, in wich you have Agmar and the three Arnorian Kingdoms (What are they again?). Now that would be really cool!

*Sorry for the double-post
    This is a fantastic idea. It would take a while to mod though. But make it so it started after Cardolan became subjects of the Witch King, and you have a fantastic start position there! Heck, you'd only need a map covering Eriador, really!

I wish Tolkien wrote more about this period, as it's frankly more interesting than the War of the Ring. But perhaps that is because I am a history student.

On topic, the Silvan elves split is a great idea. Beyond that, I think the factions are fine.

angmar game would be sweet to play

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast