Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RS 1.6a ] No Rebels Submod

Sindaram's Avatar Foederatus

Icon1 [RS 1.6a ] No Rebels Submod

First of i'd like to note that even tho I've never posted here, i have been playing this mod for a long time now and have been browsing this forum for as long. As such I'd wanna start off by thanking the creators of this mod for all their hard work, dedication and skill and most importantly for making me have an absolute blast with their creation.

Cause yes I am most definatly a big fan of this mod, I think it's without a doubt the best mod out there for any of the TW games, there is just one thing that has always annoyed me, not just with this mod but with TW in general and for anyone that has read the title i'm sure you can guess what that is, yep, i'm talking about the rebels.
    Now while in the normal TW games and most of the mods the rebels are an inconvinience and generally disposed of fairly early on in the game I never really cared too much, but here in RS rebels are everywhere, and many of them there to stay untill the endgame which combined with their huge numbers and their total disregard for the economy or population of their towns has always really been a thorn in my side in what is otherwise an absolutly awesome mod.

Now instead of whining about it, i figured i might as well just do something about it myself and even tho I have (or right now i suppose had) no experience whatsoever modding I set out to exterminate all those rebel scum from the map.

It took me awhile before i figured out what file to edit for this or when i finally did how exactly i needed to edit it to get it to do what i wanted (yea i know i shoulda been smarter and actually searched the forums here for some tutorials, but hey, where's the fun in that) but eventually after a few days of work i accomplished my goal and have edited RS to a point where there's no rebel settlement anywhere (this being both normal rebels and the free people faction) without the game either crashing or giving errors.

Now finally being rid of the rebels and having (somewhat) evenly distrubuted their settlements amongst the other factions and having played around with it for a bit, I am absolutly loving it, with all the faction now being so much larger it really gives a total war feel, as quite frankly, once you get a few turns into the game, a lot of factions will go to war with one another due to so many borders meeting, instead of every faction scrambling to get as many settlements as they can from the rebels, and only finally meeting another faction midway during a campaign. So after having had some fun with i figured i might as well now come over here and share this little submod with other people that might feel the same way i do, cause tho i realise this isn't for everyone (realistic borders and all that being thrown completly out the door for one reason i can suspect) i'm sure there's at least a few people out there that might enjoy this kind of gameplay in their campaigns as well.

For those of you interested here's a screenshot of the campaign map at turn 1.

All the settlement that changed hands from rebels to a normal faction got a basic garrison to them (no huge amount of units to start out with to make sure the factions economy doesn't blow itself up) and all factions get a base cash injection at the start of the game to help out during the first turns.

As far as installing this submod goes, just take the file that comes in the attachement and put it in the the Data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign map in the folder you've installed RS in (be sure to backup your original descr_strat file first tho to make sure you can switch back later), launch RS, start a new campaign, and there you go, no rebels, total faction war.

If you have any questions/suggestions/whines/whatever about this little submob you can post here or send me a private message about it and i'll get back to you as soon as I can.

And lastly let me just say I hope for those of you that do chose to play this that you may have as much fun playing it as it did editing it. And for those of you that don't want to play this... i can only say.... curse you rebel lovers .

chaney's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: No Rebels Submod

Hmm Its a good idea , but It doesnt really give ANY faction a chance to build up resulting in a stalemate in either late or early periods of campaigns
    RIP Calvin

I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble
    . - Augustus Caeser

“It is not sufficient that I suceed - all others must fail.” - Genghis Khan

Actually from what it seems so far the AI seems smart enough to only start war with factions that they either really hate or are already at war with from the start, in my Roman campaign i've started yesterday and is now at around turn 60, most of the factions have been consolidating their power and building up their towns and army, 3 factions in particular have been building up hugely being germanic tribes, carthage and dacia, and pretty much all other factions have a good deal of field armies running around, even those that have been at war from the early goings (iberia and the gauls have been going at it for years, as have macedon and the greek, and the situation in the east has turned into an all out brawl that you usually see midgame during a normal campaign as well.

I understand your worries, cause tbh i had them as well, but the AI is handling it much better then i thought they would.

Tesla's Avatar Senator

well I can understand why you did it, but maybe you shouldn't have deleted all the Rebels.

1. they can slow a faction down which is becoming a superpower
    2. the players armies gain a bit of experience before starting to fight a 'real' faction
    3. as chaney said I think it can result in a stalemate early or later on

An interesting idea, this is how SPQR is set up. I'd suggest a couple changes:

- Taking all the steppe regions away from the Bosporans and giving them to the Sarmatians and Dacians

- Taking the Po valley away from Rome and giving it to the Gauls

- Giving Parthia's northernmost regions to the Sarmatians

Maximus_96's Avatar Senator

i think this is pretty cool, there arent any tiny nations that just be pushovers and there arent those five stacks in northern italy to deal with

I just wish we could add 10 more factions to the existing game. Sorry, pointless post.

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    An interesting idea, this is how SPQR is set up. I'd suggest a couple changes:

- Taking all the steppe regions away from the Bosporans and giving them to the Sarmatians and Dacians

- Taking the Po valley away from Rome and giving it to the Gauls

- Giving Parthia's northernmost regions to the Sarmatians
    Your suggestions are things i've actually tried out before releasing this, in that sarmatians and dacians used to have more of the steppe territories, but that led to bosporans getting steamrolled by its much larger neighbours in a few turns (this happened 6 out of 8 campaigns i played during that testing phase before turn 15) and as such i went for the more balanced approach even tho the bosporan's territory looks pretty wierd now, but they're keeping it and are actually building up nicely now.

The same goes for your suggesiton about the gauls, tbh, as far as the gauls are concerned i just took away as many of their territories as i possibly could to get them balanced, cause in my earlier tests they were just too big from the get go and rolled right over the romans and germans, hence why i gave some of the near italy territories to the romans, and weakened them slightly still by giving the 2 territories near Spain to Iberia, which does provoke them to a war with Iberia from the very opening it makes them alot more balanced and both the germans and romans are at least allowed to build up while Iberia can hold the gauls off as long as Carthage stays neutral.

All in all, balancing the factions out was the hardest part about creating this kind of submod but eventho some of the factions might look pretty odd geographicly I think in it's current from it's about as balanced as i can get it without switching around faction settlements (which is something i tried to avoid from the get go, i just wanted to distribute the rebel settlements in a fair way, not meddle in what the factions already had).

And Doogan, pointless as the post may have been i did actually consider adding a new faction in place of the free people, but like i noted in my first post, this is my very first attempt at modding anything, and while this submod wasn't by any means easy to make, it was something I could still figure out quite easily, adding a new faction to the game however.... well let's just say i'm clueless .

I figured that faction balance was probably why you settled upon that set-up; it's just a bit odd to see the Bosporans with so much territory. Though I suppose you could think of it as the regions that pay them tribute, rather than Greek inhabited areas. Still, you might consider removing the northernmost steppes regions and giving them regions along the Black Sea coast, which actually were Greek occupied...

So if you were to use the Free People slot for another faction, what would it be?

That's actually a pretty good idea taking perhaps a town of both the dacians and sarmatians and giving it to the bosporan in exchange for their 2 steppe settlement might work, the only concern i got there is that if i give tribus gatae to the bosporan in exchange for one of the steppe settlement that might stretch dacia pretty thin, which would lead to a very difficult to defend border with the germans, not to mention less income for them, and atm the dacians are already at quite a big risk of being swallowed by the juggernaut that are the germanic tribes, so might have to work around that a little bit, but i'll definatly look into that.

And as for the free faction slot, well dunno, cause i didn't know how to i didn't really give it much thought, but quite possible a barbarian faction in between or at least with borders to both the germanic and galic tribes as to act as a buffer between the 2, taking resources away from both of them and keeping them from growing too big, cause in my last campaign i tested with at around turn 60 they were both by far the leaders in military power, now no doubt if a war between the 2 of them broke out they'd lose a lot of that power fighting with somewhat equal resources, but if both of them focused on one other opponent or faction in their current state they'd absolutly crush them (the romans are definatly at risk from this).
    Another idea could be to readd numidia or at least some other desertly faction to keep carthage and perhaps the egyptians in check cause both of those are growing fast as well, not quite like the barbarian tribes but the way it's looking now i'd say it's definatly possible to see both of them grow very quickly in the next few years as well.

Tesla's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by cherryfunk View Post
    So if you were to use the Free People slot for another faction, what would it be?
    maybe this one ?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ghlight=submod

Actually i've thought about that as i was browsing the board a few days ago, it would've been quite easy to add even for me, since it's pretty much just copy pasting relevant information, but imo it just doesn't really add anything, quite the opposite actually.
    First of all the greek cities losing crete would be devestating for them, already it's one of the weaker factions in the game at this point, from what i've seen they usually get beaten out of greece rapidly and then launch an attack on the egyptian settlements in asia minor with troops from the 2 cretan cities. If i were to take those cities away from them they'd have even less income, getting them beaten out of greece even faster and then they'd be left with just their town in asia minor and rhodes, which wouldn't be nearly enough to build up any kind of force to do anything but wait for their untimely end.

Secondly this is a faction with only 2 cities, in a submod that pretty much focuses on everybody having a fairly large starting area they wouldn't be able to keep up, even tho they wouldn't die cause most likely nobody'd care to attack crete, they wouldn't impact the overal game at all.

So all in all, yes it would be an easy fix to fill up the free faction slot, but tbh, if i were to add a faction to this I'd really wanna add one that would fit into the setting i've tried to create with this submod.

And as for the free faction slot, well dunno, cause i didn't know how to i didn't really give it much thought, but quite possible a barbarian faction in between or at least with borders to both the germanic and galic tribes as to act as a buffer between the 2, taking resources away from both of them and keeping them from growing too big
    Sounds like the Belgae would fit the bill...

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

As Cherryfunk mentioned, this was the way SPQR was set up when I first started playing it. It was EXTREMELY fun! From a standpoint of just getting out there and kicking butt, it is a very cool gamer setup.

BTW, I've added this to the sub-mod thread.
    Last edited by dvk901; May 01, 2009 at 09:09 AM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Thx a lot dvk, that's much appreciated.

And yes, Belgae does sound like quite the right fit for my description there, too bad I don't have RS2 files to work with or I might've been able to mix and match them into this (this is a big maybe cause i'm sure a new faction with all new models and whatnot is create with lots of different files and tracking them all down would no doubt be a challange) then again, if I check out some of the tutorials on the forums I might be able to create them myself, be it with a mix of germanic and galic tribe troops ofc cause modeling and texturing is well beyond my abilities.

Yeah, just use a mix of Gallic and German units, give them different names, maybe re-skin their shields if you can, and presto, new faction!

Well, I've checked out some tutorials and think I got a pretty good idea how to go about adding another faction (or replacing in this case), adding already existing units to it, np, renaming them, np, reskinning their shield.... not gonna happen lol, not that I don't want to or couldn't if I really wanted to but the fact of a matter is, the entire graphics department is just absolutly not my thing, and there's a very good chance that whatever I'd be able to cook up would look considerably worse then they would if I just kept them the way they are. If anyone else that does have the proper brainfunctions for skinning a few units and would be up for it for this little sideproject let me know (but let's face it, i'm sure all of the skinners here are rather busy atm with RS2 so wouldn't hold up any hopes for it ).

I am definatly going to give this a shot tho, and see where it goes, this entire modding process (be it even in it's simple form as what i'm doing right now) is a lot more fun then I thought it would be, and having something a little bit harder and more challenging to do will hopefull be even more fun, so anyway, I'll be sure to keep the few people interested in this notified of my progress on this thread, in the mean time, enjoy your rebel free time

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Careful, you could get addicted and end up like me.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

and this is a bad thing how? You're part of something that makes hundreds, probaly thousands of people have a much more enjoyable and enriching time with the game, so addicted or not, in my book that makes you one of the good guys

This could turn out to be a pretty cool mod actually... I can see quite a few people giving it a try, given how popular the SPQR style 'mega war from turn 1' set-up was

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast