Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheerleading is saved! (for now)

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

After the hugging thing the guardians of our children's morality came up with a new idea to safeguard the impeccable highschool ethics. In short a cheerleading regulation bill was proposed in the state of Texas but hopefully it will not make it to the senate.
    The daily show has a nice clip on that

here

and you can read about it

here

I think that when the legislature does its best to appear ridiculous, even any good points of the bill are doomed. As if all that was not enough the ACLU rushed to make out of it a freedom of speech issue.

here

and for a comment on that one see this

Enjoy!

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

The whole thing is a joke... right?

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

Is this serious? :blink

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Supposedly this isnt even registering on the state Senate's radar. In other words, most people think there isnt a chance in hell of it passing in the Senate, then getting by the Governor, at least for now.

Yeah...here you go:

Texas Sexy Cheerleading Ban Bill Goes Bust
    Sunday, May 15, 2005

AUSTIN, Texas — A bill approved by the state House to ban bawdy cheerleading routines apparently isn't going anywhere in the Senate this year.

The legislation prohibits "overtly sexually suggestive" cheerleading routines at school events and gives the state education chief the authority to ask school districts to review performances. It does not define sexually suggestive.

The House approved the legislation May 3 and sent it to the Senate Education Committee, where it is expected to die.

"We have some very important work to do in the next two weeks, and that's not one of them," Republican state Sen. Florence Shapiro (search), who chairs the education committee, said Friday.

Democratic Rep. Al Edwards (search), the bill's sponsor, has argued that sexually suggestive cheerleading (search) exhibitions are a distraction that results in pregnancies, dropouts and the contraction of AIDS and herpes.

Shapiro said the problem needs to be handled by parents and school districts, not the Legislature.

But Edwards vowed to bring it up in the future.
    (Patron of Lord Rahl)

smack's Avatar Complaints Department

No, its not a joke! It's Texas. (third link in original post actually leads to an article)

In patronicum svb: Spartan
    Patronum celcum quo: teecee, Old Celt, SigniferOne
    If you dare: My Journal or If you care: The Price Tag

This is CNN *wink*

I'm afraid it is not a joke. Please refrain from flames. I started this topic as a chance to discuss, how sometime legislature focuses on issues, which are at least peripheral to problems of contemporary education.

Sulla's Avatar Sulla

Brings a whole new meaning to the 'land of the free'. *lol*

Where do they find these people :blink .

Under the Patronage of the noble Senatorii Wild Bill Kelso
    Brother Of Necrobrit, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran and Oldgamer
    Patron of the Senatorii cunobelin & the CivitateLegio XX Valeria Victrix

Shocking anyway :blink thanks for the news.

you know what? i'm starting to see comparrisons between ceretain states in modern america and victorian england... the idea of a moral panic, people taking advantage opf it, and reforming the young by instilling strong moral values, forcing religious, or rather christian teachings down their throat, and blaming society's ills on a less than moral and religious society...

hmmm...

smack's Avatar Complaints Department

We just love our repression and taboo here the way ye brits like tea.

Anything about sex: Deny it. Secretly love it. Hate it. Ban it. Secretly love it. We can't get enough of the human sexuality taboo game.

In patronicum svb: Spartan
    Patronum celcum quo: teecee, Old Celt, SigniferOne
    If you dare: My Journal or If you care: The Price Tag

Originally posted by Sulla@May 17 2005, 08:20 AM
    Where do they find these people :blink .
    Texas, apparently. So many great things, and yet so many dumbass things come out of there.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Originally posted by Garbarsardar@May 17 2005, 03:56 AM
    I think that when the legislature does its best to appear ridiculous, even any good points of the bill are doomed. As if all that was not enough the ACLU rushed to make out of it a freedom of speech issue.
    Act like a ten dollar whore and your rights are protected, but even think of saying a prayer you're an enemy of the state. :wack
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Being a Natvie Texan, High School grad (please hold ur applause) and Football player. I cant say that during the game we even payed attention to the chearleaders, and at the Pep rallies I was no more sexually stimulated then any other 17 year old boy looking for any cute girl that would have me. And that wasnt because the cheerleader or pep squad was turning me on, at that age I was always turned on by girls. Didnt matter what they were wearing or what they were doing, I wanted to shag the good looking ones. I think that goes without saying for most of High School boys.

But to the point that legislation is needed to ban or atleast control what the girls do during there routine, is bit facist to me. I know that there is sex going on in and between High school students, and has very little to do with what kind of dance the cheerleaders do. And its not like they cheer everyday. Its usaully a sports function, which again are seasonal and dont happen everyday. As someone mentioned earlier its another band aid covering a problem its doesnt belong to and has no chance of stopping, abd that is teenage pregnancy. The problem with Texas and the rest of the US for that matter is that sex is protrayed as such a bad thing, never to be eperiminted with, never to be had until marriage. And by the way all those urges of desire and lust that you feel as a young teenager torwards someone of the oppostie sex, thats the devil luring you into a trap. Its bull$hit. Its like everything else, dont drink until you 21, what to kids do they go and get drunk. Tell Kids dont do that, and they will. Tell teenagers not to kiss, hug, hold hands, and what will they do. I think you get the point. Its Americas ugliest taboos, imo. Sex is bad mmmmmmmmkkkkkkkaaaaaaayyyyyyyy.

So is cheerleading, according to these out of touch state representatives. Its sickens me to think that this is the worst problem that the State of Texas faces, its completely upsurd. Overcrowded prisons, failing educational system, Border control, to name a few and those bastards in Austin (Capital of Texas) are wasting the tax money that they are given to solve real problems. Makes me want to join politics so I can get a good laugh to start my day. Next item of business: kindergarten nap times, should the boys and girls really be sleeping that close to each other..... :whistle
    Rome Total War 2 Beta Tester

The Censors are coming, the Censors are coming... RUN!!!!!

kindergarten nap times, should the boys and girls really be sleeping that close to each other.....
    :lol :lol

That is funny as long a member of the legislature does not read the forums. It may give him ideas, you know...

Portuguese Rebel's Avatar Civitate

So this is serious? :lol

Man! those taliban people in Texas never cease to amaze me. :rolleyes

"Yes, I rather like this God fellow. He's very theatrical, you know,
    a pestilence here, a plague there... He's so deliciously evil."
    Stewie, Family Guy

Civitate

Man! those taliban people in Texas never cease to amaze me.
    Indeed, the irony is clear. This bill wouldn't be out of place in a fundamentalist Islamic republic.
    Under patronage of: Wilpuri

Originally posted by Big War Bird@May 17 2005, 10:11 AM
    Act like a ten dollar whore and your rights are protected, but even think of saying a prayer you're an enemy of the state. :wack
    Are you sure we are living in the same United States? Because last time I checked the right to pray is protected constitutionally. In my school there is a prayer or bible reading or something or other Christian club (I really don't know what they are called or exactly what they do) that meets on Fridays. Furthermore I really don't think anybody will care if I prayed to Deus Ex Machina or Aphrodite, or whaterver, provided that I don't do it during class.

Uhhhhhh the cheerleaders in school, at my school anyway are probably the ones with the highest morals lol. Except for one.... but the rest are really annoying and asking if I want to come to their church. I already have my own church thank you lol.
    Me and my friend sam
    Sam "Hey Tom should I kill them all?" Me "yes" Sam "even the women and children?" Me "Especially the women and children"

madd069's Avatar Biarchus

I live in Texas and this is certanly no joke. I dont mind these sexy moves... :happy

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

Wow, Garb....you must be really pi**ed off about that whole .com thing. It sucks, but it's just a game forum. Besides, WE love you :p

Anyway, I'm kinda torn on this subject. While I DO agree with needing less promiscuity in teens, this is DEFINITELY an example of "poor execution of a good idea" on the grandest of scales. You have to look at other facts that aren't reported. Like Texas' teen pregnancy rate or teen STD cases. But, there is no standard that can be set by law makers, really. Teenagers are going to have sex...duh. Schools have tried uniforms to cut down on "sexiness in the schools". But that doesn't work either. The girls uniforms have always ended up with short plaid, khaki, or solid blue SKIRTS!!! And SHORT ones. You can't hand condoms out in schools. That just "promotes" sex. The only answer is for teens to take direct resposiblity for themselves and their actions. Which, sadly, TYPICALLY, most teens don't.

And that Comedy Central video was HILARIOUS!!! With that "reporter" doing the booty shake in that old black mans face....priceless. I want an animated .gif of that as my new avatar. :p

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast