Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imperial Splendour v1.07 General Feedback

Default Imperial Splendour v1.07 General Feedback

So I've readded the AI, and I've reworked accuracy to avoid BAI problems, hopefully. Post your general feedback about those changes and other thoughts with the new version here.

Default Re: Imperial Splendour v1.07 General Feedback

If this works...you can have my first born.
    In God we trust...everyone else gets searched.

You can have my seventh of seventh. More value in one of those.

only about the 12th time in the last hour I have checked this post!

Aegon's Avatar Libertus

So... when can we expect a version that allows us to play with minor nations and the protectorates of the new world?
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -- Winston Churchill

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but 'That's funny...’
    -- Issac Asimov

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte

So is everything working properly now? AI naval invasions and everything?

Erunion Telcontar's Avatar Senator

I got IS 1.7, and loaded up my Portuguese game.
    I was in 1726 (?) and played 5-6 turns.
    AI factions are definitely more aggressive than pre-patch with 1.67 (what I had),
    Battles seem to work fine, but I've only fought siege battles so far.
    First turn I played the English loaded a full-stack onto a two-thirds stack fleet, but I don't know what they've done with it.

Specifics:
    Aggressiveness; Ottomans declared war on Austria, Thirteen colonies declared war on Quebec, Hurons declared war on me (I had traded some Indian provinces for Moose factory, Jamaica and the Bahamas). I was in the middle of a war with the Marathas, took some land, declared peace. Next turn they DOW'd me again. That was following Spain declaring war on me, also the Persians declared war on me. (I own Kashmir).

Battles: I fought three battles, one town, two fort. (All as defender) fort battles went well, he charged walls and tried to exploit weak points, opened a gate and charged a good chunk of his army in. Into canister shot and pike wall.
    Town battle went well for the ai, he used his melee-advantage troops well, isolated my buildings and stormed with 1-2 battalions at a time. When he attacked my final building he fired on it for a minute, then charged with one battalion then the other one stayed outside and formed square...

Weird stuff: Just this, FA is way overpowered! I used it twice. The first time I had two lines, the first line fired, then the second one advanced and fired, then they both stopped and started firing in tandem, every six seconds. (So that's both lines firing at the same time every 6 seconds)
    Next battle I had a 40 man battalion form 1 line, turned on FA and they were firing Every 4 seconds...
    Last edited by Erunion Telcontar; April 30, 2009 at 04:09 PM.

+Rep for anyone who can translate! (The above)
    Auta i lóme! Aurë entuluva!

I found several glitches actually.

Indian Warrior Society units can't use their ranged attack, Indians now have officers who fire scattershot, and Battle AI seems easier; I defeated over 2000 Spanish troops with only 600 Indians. It's probably because I used nothing but the Warrior Society infantry (the most powerful Indian infantry), but still.

Is it possible the mod now screws up trade nodes somehow?

I am 20 turns into my UP campaign (The British have invaded alsace ) but what really bothers me is nobody has taken any trade nodes. There are only 4 taken, 2 by portugal, 1 by spain and 1 by new spain. I believe all those have been there at gamestart.

Also i think that with the new unmodded AI aggressiveness the mod should go a bit lower on that, else it will just be havoc. Vanilla itself is already too aggressive for some if you check the general forum.

General A. Skywalker's Avatar Primicerius
    currently Coruscant, but born on Tatooine

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy_knight View Post

Also i think that with the new unmodded AI aggressiveness the mod should go a bit lower on that, else it will just be havoc. Vanilla itself is already too aggressive for some if you check the general forum.
    I agree on that.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy_knight View Post

I can only support that , played a few turns with France N/N to test a bit , and in less than 10 turns I've been attacked by the Hurons , Cherokee , UP , Wurthenberg and even the Inuit Funny but probably a bit too much.

I like the new CA patch so far , and IS land battle stats remain exactly what they have to be

Good news and bad news on Battle Ai in a custom battle with 1.07. good new is that they did not go right to melee! Bad news is that is because they danced around and changed formation about 50 yards in front of my line until they all routed. I hope campaign is different. Wow CA managed to really screw this up huh?

Quixote, have you PM'd one of the CA staffers like Keirnan or someone with this major battle issue. Might mean more coming from you and this is a real game killer.

BTW, what difficulty do peopel recommend for teh post patch version. I heard the campaign is a killer. Would normal help battle AI?
    Last edited by mikeCK; April 30, 2009 at 05:56 PM.

Overall I do like this mod.

The Native Americans are WAY WAY WAY too powerful though.
    I'm 2-3 turns in on Hard CAI / Normal BAI with Great Britain and they have almost killed of the 13 colonies.

I sent a tin pot army (all I could afford) to defend the south but the Iroquis steam rollered NY/Boston/Philly in 1 turn alone !
    The pitched battles I played are ridiculous, bows in particular are like machine guns - my guys dont have a prayer against them, they just get mown down left right and center.

One thing that kills my men so much is the lack of mass fire - ALL units should have this as a base setting, only having the front rank firing makes muskets not worth having esp since bowmen can fire en mass to add insult to injury.

I think the Natives going berserk is the new patch but it desperatly needs addressing / balancing.

I'm going to keep the mod uninstalled for now until I decide if the Vanilla version of the Battle AI and Campaign AI is any better than with the mod. If it is, I'll keep the mod uninstalled until a new version is released that improves the AI.

Hey Quixote, is there anything in IS that would conflict with the new patch to stop the number/limit of particular units displaying? It disappeared for me just now. I checked in the mod manager but I can't make head or tails of it.
    Edit: disregard this, I think it's caused by turns editor messing with the startpos.esf and savegames. Not 100% sure though.

Also, agreeing with the guy who said NA factions are overpowered, I don't mind not having fire by rank but it's difficult to slow their units down now that they're more spread out. They lose maybe ~10 men out of 60 and then proceed to destroy my guys in melee. I beat them eventually but really through weight of numbers and autoing, pitched battles pretty much ended in victories with massive losses for me. Maybe tone them down a bit.

Edit: on thinking about it I know you tightened up European formations so maybe do the same for NA? Keeping it looser than say line infantry but a bit tighter to even it up.

I'm impressed with the AI changes though, I played a quick IS campaign before the patch and saw more territories change hands by the AI in those few hours than in my whole vanilla campaign. Nice work.
    Last edited by Electric Sheep; April 30, 2009 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknight View Post
    One thing that kills my men so much is the lack of mass fire - ALL units should have this as a base setting, only having the front rank firing makes muskets not worth having esp since bowmen can fire en mass to add insult to injury.
    You can use the rank/file controls to spread out or group up your units. It isn't as effective as rank firing, due to the fact that the more spread out your troops the more casualties for them, but it can be devastating for enemy charges.

Also, historically, normally not all units in a regiment could fire at the same time. Muskets had about 10 feet or so of an immediate killing radius due to the flames that they made, so if every unit fired at once, the regiment would be massacred.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think the enemy form up quite well for a firefight but break ranks and try to bayonet attack too soon with rubbish units . Like these pandours about to attack my Turk grenadiers in the distance. X crossing lines quite common.
    I started a new campaign with 1.7 ,Prussia. AI is more aggressive. Ottoman AI is awful. Austria has captured all Balkans and Istanbul by 1715.Still no AI movement through Istanbul.
    Shortage of income is a big difference but I play 3 turns py. My ally WEstfalia is capturing everything in the west. France doing nothing. Not seen naval transport yet. h/h

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Jihada; April 30, 2009 at 09:17 PM.

Hey Quixote, when can we expect the modded Protectorates and Minor Factions back in?

~Beren~'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by TerminatorXPS15 View Post
    Hey Quixote, when can we expect the modded Protectorates and Minor Factions back in?
    Agreed.

I missed playing as the Italian States

Quixote, looking at the accuracy values in land_stats, they look like they are the same from previously: 15 for line infantry, 20 for Elite line, 29 for rifles.

Did you change it in the projectiles file, or am I missing something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast