Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Crassus/Pictor

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Crassus/Pictor

How about two consular armies, one going towards Bononia and the other towards Genua and a praetorian army tailing behind offering support?
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

I am afraid that is out of the question. I seem to recall an older law that prevents both consuls to be outside of city limits.

And Senator Marcellinus, Gaul indeed has been a problem as of late. They have marched armies within our territory, amassed forces at our borders, and are poised to strike our Norther holdings.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

yes, but once they are not here, the praetor urbanus takes charge of the city
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

but if the praetor marches off to war as well? What then?

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

there are two praetors, one stays and the other goes, the praetor urbanus is forbidden to leave the city in that time.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ah thank you senator Saevus,

is there no way two of our armies can be lead?
    could a consul and a preator lead the armies

i do not feel the praetor urbanus should be given command of Rome in a time of war

or we could have one consul doing the main engagements with the a praetor tailing behind. Where is that other praetor Clarus? I told you not to vote for him.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

If a praetor is absent then a vote of no confidence should commence immediately and a new one appointed.

I don't agree with sending three magistrates out. Our military tribunes and legates are more than capable of arranging for reinforcements to reach where they are needed and keep control of cities. Two consular armies would do it, and the Consuls could plan their strategy themselves, as is the system which has brought us victory in the past.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Herrenius entered the halls of the Curia.

"Salve, Senators."

"I have come back from the army in the North to adress a problem brought to me by a senator. It appears I have not only been mistaken about some legislatures, but also have exceeded the power granted to me by you and the people of Rome. It has been brought to my attention, that I had been mistaken about the Imperium granted to me, as Consul. Given the hurry I felt to protect our borders from the enemy, and my misunderstanding on the recent law regarding a war with Gaul, I left Rome to face our invaders, without asking for authorization from the house, believing it had been granted. I will not try to excuse my actions, and only ask for the conprehension of the House on my recent decision, and hope I will be allowed to continue serving to Rome as I did before."

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Consul Pictor, welcome back, the senate was just discusing the issue if the north and how best to deal with gaul.
    As to your ... lapse, i will not speak

We are discusing weather or not to send two consular armies to cisapline in order to secure italia.
    I wonder consul as to your thoughts on this?

EDIT; ooc - 600th post!

Turnus smiled as he watched Herrenius made his plea. At least some things are starting to swing his way.

Consul Herrenius, welcome back. I see that victory has not gone to your head and made you do... rash things. That is an admirable feat, worthy of praise.

I call upon this House to grant Consul Herrenius his imperium to conduct war in Cisalpine Gaul so that he may secure our borders and drive back the invaders!

Crusades

"Wait! We mustn't be too hasty. I propose we scout the area first, and I think we should send two consular armies into the field so that we can quickly defeat the Gauls and not get bogged down in a war of attrition.

Consul, would you be able to meet with me at my Domus at some point to discuss recruitment plans and a strategy for an attack?"
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

A wise course indeed, we can't simply send the legions into uncharted, unknown territory. We must first know the strength of the enemy to effectively wage war against it. Far be it from these half men to actually have the brain power to formulate an ambush, precautions must none the less be taken.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Ahenobarbus inclines his head at the new patrician senator.

"Yes, they have sent a moderately sized raiding party over the border, and their appears to be a massing of forces in the lands just beyond our control and knowledge. We do not currently know enough about the Gallic intentions nor their numbers, from which we might be able to judge some of their thoughts. Therefore, scouts must be sent into the region to ascertain this. To send troops blindly into enemy territory is total folly."
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; May 06, 2009 at 04:00 AM.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

i agree scouts should be sent, then Rutulus Saevus should be granted imperium ONLY to take cis-alpine gaul.

Rome's saftey if of untermost importance, but remember senator the more we conquer the more we need to defend.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Well, the only thing that we need to defend is the Limes. The area itself only needs a garrison of loyal auxilia.

Now, our Northern Limes may be longer after the conquest, but it will be a natural border. A natural border, dear friends, is a border formed by a natural barrier, such as a river or - in this case - a mountain range.

It would be folly for the consul to go beyond this barrier, because it is just as easily defendable for them as it will be for us. And even if they do cross the Alps safely, they will be unsupported in enemy territory, with - most likely - very depleted legions. If I know our consuls they know this even better than I do and they will not commit their forces to such follies.

In short, your worries are unfounded Marcellinus, you need not worry.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Senator Rutulus Saevus granted Imperium? May I remind you that the consuls are Herrenius and Crassus young man.

Oh noble men, It is in my interest to see us taking at least one city from these barbarians, the best tactic in war is to attack, for if we just defend, aren't our legions become demoralised for not going to damage thier property? won't they want to capture cities for the glory of the senate? I ask you Senators to get each consul with an army and to drive a two pronged attack into Cisalpine gaul.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

ooc; i thought chaplain118 was consul? - what is chaplain?

ic;I think it matters little who is appointed to do the task, more that it is done... Senators my objection is to expanding past cisalpine Gaul, as i'm sure someone will raise if we do this. Yes Tullis Crescentius, it is more appropiate for a consul to do this, but which one. It would be unpresidented for both to do so, and i'm sure neither would like to lose this chance for Roman glory

I propose this then. We conquer Cisalpine gaul with 2 consular armies and then once we have secured the area, we ask for a ceasefire or we just stop advancing.

OOC:- Chaplain was consul last year
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician