Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Crassus/Pictor

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Crassus/Pictor

A messenger enters the Curia.

Great senators, I bring words from Consul Spurius Herrenius. He draws a parchment, and begins to read.

To the Senate and People of Rome,

I bring you word of the recent campaign against the Gauls in our lands. I reached the men in the fort earlier a couple of days after leaving the City. The men seemed wary, perhaps even a little nerveous, but I believe receiving a Consul to command them lessened their concerns. I sent scouts to bring information on the enemy's wherabouts, as well as more information on their numbers and composition. I received words of concern: Our initial reports, that we outnumbered them, were untrue. The enemy was more numerous than us, by a small, yet significant margin, given the rest of the news. The scouts reported not only that their men were not badly armed, but most of them were skilled warriors who carried longswords of steel. At that point I decided that a battle between our men, ligthly armed, unexperienced and poorly trained, and the fearsome Gauls, should end up in a defeat if we were to face them outnumbered

OOC: all of this info came later when the battle screen opened once I attacked them in the campaign map, and I could actually see their army's composition for the first time.

For that, I saw no other option but to ask for reinforcements. Given the proximity of Arretium, I sent word to the legate there to send some troops through the mountains, and aid us.

Hoping the news and reinforcements would arrive on time, my men and I left the fort and marched North to face our foe. Even thought spring is coming, the melting snow still covered the landscape. We spotted them near some woods not far from the fort, and, after maneuvering for a few days, attempting to gain some time and better terrain, the battle began in a plain surrounded by small woods.

Even given their numerical superiority, the Gauls showed themselves unwanting to face us in combat. Because of that, I ordered my infantry to march closer to them, velites in the first line to force them to fight with their missiles. Seeing their numerical superiority, I decided to give my men a wedge formation, so that the enemy would have a harder time outflanking us. The velites, in the frontline, threw one volley of their javelins, afterwhich the enemy decided to advance on a straight frontal assault, a prefered tactic of the barbarians. Of the 3 batallions they had devided their troops into, only 2 moved to face us. I ordered the velites to retreat in a diagonal, to place themselves on the flanks, rather than behind the infantry, and ordered the infantry to meet the charging barbarians.

As they clashed, the velites advanced, placing themselves on the flanks of the enemy, in a perfect position to strike them with missiles from behind. As for the third batallion, I remained surprised as to why they had not decided to advance, knowing their men were being pinned down by missiles, while our infrantry, while sustaining casualties, undoubtedly was going to win the battle. Later, I saw the reason. From behind the enemy line, our reinforcements, fresh troops from Arretium, had arrived, and the last batallion of Gauls, knowing it, had decided to attack them, leaving their comrades to a certain death.

They began to chase the troops, consisting entirely of velites, who naturally fled from them, running around them to try to join our many body. These troops, if only serving as a distraction, allowed the infantry in our center to effectively rout the enemy, afterwhich they moved to face the infantry that still chased the velites. Once reached, they gave a small fight, but noticing their doom, they routed the battlefield in short.

In the aftermath, our infantry took most of the casualties to the enemy, unable to quite match the skilled swordsmen they fought. However, their lack of armor makes attacks with missiles extremely effective, a tactic I would recomend to any future commander who would face them. As I write this, we march back to the fort, hopping for the best.

More than a battle, this has been a skirmish, but nevertheless it is the first victory of hopefully many that will come in this war.

CONSVL SPVIRIVS HERRENIVS PICTOR.
    OOC: I was not sure about taking some men from Arretium, but after noticing their army was actually much better than I had thought, I really was not going to take the risk. Maybe it was a winnable battle, but considering I'm rusty, and was not even all that good to begin with, I didn't want to risk losing my first battle xD. Considering the size of the army that could attack Arretium, taking some velites won't make a difference, plus they are still in a distance close enought to come back if the Gauls do move South.

However, feel free to give Herrenius for taking troops from a city that needs them .

Also, some new thing I noticed...

IC:

Not long after the man read the letter, a new messenger came,

"Senators, I come to you from from behalf of the legates in Croton, bringing you news of a small uprising that has emerged in the South. Some few men have raised in arms and began pillaging and causing unrest in the region.

While their numbers are, as of now, insignificant, we believe the Senate should send men to supress the rebellion before the draw more men to their cause. This is, however, an indicator of elevated levels of unsatisfaction and unhappiness from the local population, something we wish could be fixed to avoid these rebellions from ever coming to be."
    Last edited by Ozy; May 01, 2009 at 02:03 AM.

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

Congratulations with this small victory, Consul! I hope that wil continue on this path considering the war against Gaul.

Now, about the rebels in the South, I would suggest sending troops there, but only as much troops as we can miss at the moment.
    These are difficult times, and we should keep an eye on our borders with Carthage, for I cannot believe that the peace we have now will remain forever.

I guess that improving the economy by upgrading our mining and agricultural structures is out of the order as of now? The war with Gaul will cost us a great deal of our treasury if it escalates.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

"Congratulations to the Consul on his splendid victory over the Gauls. They shall surely think twice of invading now that they see we have a proficient and skilled general and Consul at the border, and with fresh troops coming to assist him, I rest assured that he shall have almost no problem in defending the north. If all fails, we still have our other Consul, the distinguished Crassus, and my father to call upon.

About this insurgence in the south. It is a small matter, but we cannot allow brigands to loiter around our roads, disrupting travel and trade. Since it only involves such a small amount of men, I do not believe that it is a problem that needs a Consul's attention. May I be so bold as to propose myself to set off for the south, and use a small number of the Tarentine garrison to defeat the rebels?"

Scipio chewed his lip thoughtfully

No we have to be ready for a storm. If what we just destroyed was a raiding party or even just advance scouts we must be ready to stand our own against the full force of a Gallic onslaught.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

"Or not, maybe they were bluffing us into falling to their will, with the memory of Brennus in the backs of their heads. With that minute victory we may have called their bluff and they may turn into another direction."
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Remember how we were incensed at the loss of even the smallest number of troops and demanded the enemy pay with their blood? Remember the end of the Social Wars when these halls raged with debate about what to do with the Italic states that rose against us?

No, we have merely stirred the hornet's nest. They will now come at us in full bloodlust.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Congratulations on your victory consul.

As for the rebels near Croton, send a Praetor to deal with them.

I would like to ask the Quaestor to make hast with his report so that i will be able to depart before my term is over.

I would also like to ask the Senate to lend me commend of our fleet that is stationed to defend Italie at the side of Corsica, Sardinia and Sicilia. I have noticed that there are pirates ravaging the waters in those parts.

There for i would like to use the fleet to destroy them. I am not sure about there strength but i will finde out once i am on Corsica. It might be necessary to build some extra ships to support this navel battle.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

A new dispatch from Consul Herrenius,

Noble senators,

I have reached the fort, and now we prepare for the enemy to come face us. As we speak, troops from Ancona are beoing sent to Rome and Ariminum, and should not take long to get there. I have also summoned some few troops in Capua to march into Rome, hoping to strengthen the numbers of the resting legions in the Region.

In the camp, I have finished the recruitment plan for Northern and Central Italy, one I would hope the house would approve to better defend Italy.

Recruitment Plan
    Ancona.

Italici Hoplites - 2 units
    Italici Pedites - 2 unit

Roma.

Italici Velites - 2 units.
    Hastati - 1 unit.
    Principes - 1 unit.

(This is intended to become a brand new legion, as we will probably have to do that eventually later in the war.)

Capua.

Italici Hoplites - 2 units.
    Italici Pedites - 1 unit.
    Italici Equites - 1 unit.

I await for your approval to send the final letters to the cities and order the recruitment to be done.

SPVRIVS HERRENIVS PICTOR.
    OOC: Note that all the Italici troops, except for the cavalry, have 0 turn recruitment, in other words, you can put as many as you want in the queue line and they will all be recruited the next turn.
    Last edited by Ozy; May 01, 2009 at 03:51 PM.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

ooc I thought it was 1 turn recruitment?
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

OOC: well...i don't know, the point is they don't take long .

Gaius just sat and nodded as the reports came in, it seems Consul Herrenius is adept at controlling a roman army, a rational man.

Consul, I must say well done on your victory against the Gaulic tribes, however, you must take caution, I suggest you move your army over to the west side of the Appenines and defend that position until a new legion has been raised.

OOC:- Can I say that only Capua can train equites and that can I be the Suffectus Quaestor, I nearly have the report ready.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

OOC: Well, chaplain was the suffectus quaestor, and you're the Pontiff, but chaplain has not made it yet, and we are getting out of schedule with the turns, so idk...
    where's the mods when you need them?!

Pendragon's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Pendragon marched in, the blonde and blue eyed Hibernian standing out like a beacon. He nodded briefly, and sat, watching the proceeding impassively.

In the beginning, Prometheus brought fire to man. Wrong move.

OOC: OK I just asked Xavier and he said this term will be a little longer, so we are ok with the schedule, which means that there is still some time before we have move to the next turn...so hopefully the quaestorial report will be done by then...

OOC: Somebody make me feel welcome -.-

Hey tsup Penny you ok, come down here and sit your bloody backside here.

that was OOC BTW

IC:- Ave Senator, I don't know your name yet but I think you should come up here on the backrows and sit down and watch the view and learn.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

OOC: Mate, you ROCK.

IC:

Pendragon walked towards the other senator.

I am Pendragon, and you are?

A session of the Curia has turned into a social.

Lucius places his open palm on his face.

Pendragon turns...

Ah, I am sorry to interrupt.

no need to buddy, m'name is Gaius Tullius Crescentius.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician