Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Crassus/Pictor

Default Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Crassus/Pictor

some pic I stole from an older term...

MAGISTRATA IN ANNO 480 A.U.C.

(Magistrates in the year 480 ab urbe condite - 272 B.C.)

CONSULES
    CAIVS FLAVIVS CRASSVS ET SPVRIVS HERRENIVS PICTOR

CENSOR
    MARCVS IULIUS CELSUS

PONTIFEX MAXIMUS
    GAIVS TVLLIVS CRESCENTIVS

PRAETORES
    LVCIVS DOMITIVS AHENOBARBVS ALBINVS ET MARCVS CLAVDIVS CLARVS

TRIBUNIS PLEBIS
    FLAVIVS TVLLIVS NARSES ET FLAVIVS AVITVS LIVIVS

QUAESTOR
    TVRNVS RVTVLVS SAEVS

---------

PROMAGISTRATA

PROCONSULES

SICILIA

GAIVS ATILIVS BALBVS

PROPRAETORES

CORSICA ET SARDINIA

SEXTIVS VOLERO POSTVMVS

Last edited by Ozy; April 30, 2009 at 06:45 PM. Reason: removed the, stick plz?

Default Re: Curia Hostilia - Consulate of Crassus/Pictor

Turnus took his seat in the Curia happily. His smile drew strange looks from surrounding senators, considering that he had just lost such a bitterly fought election.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Senators, welcome to this new term!

Given the recent delays in our elections, I ask for any man willing to run for the unfilled offices to state his candidacy so that Suffectus men are elected quickly. The offices not filled are:

Tribune of the Plebs.

Pontifex Maximus.

Quaestor.

Please state your candidacy as soon as possible so the term can continue moving on. I remind you even though we have new, more strict laws to follow the Cursus Honorum, any man can run for any of these offices, so feel free to run if you think yourself able.

For topics of discussion, I would like to bring the new war in Gaul. It is my opinion, that spies and diplomats should be sent to ask the Gauls for an explanation of their actions, and to allow us to get information on the possibility of a new treat in the north. If an attack is to happen from Rome, I would like to ask the house to let me lead the army against the invading force, as I believe that for now it would be prudent to allow more men to lead Roman Legions into combat, and gain experience, and considering the small invading force hardly presents any opposition, it would not be a great risk to allow a not so experienced commander as myself to lead the Roman armies to victory.

Also, for a whoever wishes to lead take the office of Quaestor, I would like to ask him to put special care to the military development of the North of Italy, and the economical development of the South, so that the South provides greater trade income to permit our Republic to finance the possible war in the North, and to allow the Norther regions to recruit, train and mobilize troops if necesary, and to present his plan as soon as possible, to diminish the delays in this term.
    Last edited by Ozy; April 30, 2009 at 04:13 AM.

I will stand in for quaestor.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Ahenobarbus stands, pleased with his further climb up the Cursus Honorum.

"Consul, please remember that according to the Constitution, suffecti are appointed by the Senate, not self nominated. Therefore, it is up to their fellow senators to suggest candidates for the empty magistrates. However, I know Saevus to be a well organised man, so I shall support his self nomination with the fact that I would have nominated him as well. May I suggest asking Senator Crescentius to take up the Pontificate?"

Lucius Sicinius makes his way in and greets some friends at the door.

Crassus stands to address the house.

"I would support my colleague Pictor's command to confront the gallic army that has already breached our borders, but I would like to let the Senate know that the reason I ran for Consul this term - I had not initially planned to - was to offer Rome the services of an experienced general should full-blown war with Gaul break out, since the great Ahenobarbus has now retired. Of course, it is still up to the Senate to decide such matters, but I thought I should make my feelings known on the matter."
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Sextius walks to his trusted spot in the curia and takes his seat. He stands up again and starts talking.

Greetings senators, Consuls and all other magistrates of the curia.

I will support you Consul Pictor, it is wise to send diplomtas first to see what these Gauls want, sending spies with them will insure us from the information that we will need if it will come to an confrontation.

As for Crassus, the house thanks you for your contribution, but as Pictor stated we need more Consuls with experience. I would like to see Pictor leading this campaign with you on his side as adviser and commander of the reserve legion to directly react if the situation threatens to go out of hand.

Sextius continued his conversation to an other point of discussion.

As you all know by now senators i am appointed to become the Pro Praetor of Corsica and Sardinia. I will take my leave soon but still have some questions. The constitution states and i quote.

The proconsul/praetor shall receive an annual budget from Rome
    My i ask the wise men of the senate what budget will we receive to fulfil our duties in the provinces?
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; April 30, 2009 at 09:23 AM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Gaius Tullius Crescentius enters the Curia, and sits on one of the back benches.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

The Gallic threat is very much real and our current Northern legion is split in half due to retraining. There may not be enough time for them to regroup before the Gauls reach them. As there is no official declaration of war, but only a minor incursion of territory, this may be rectified before too much damage could be done.

Crusades

Senators I wish to propose another law.
    In this I wish to retify the law about offices again, for we cannot have some body getting Quaestor last year, Praetor, this year then consul the next, it's not right, therefore we need a time difference and I propose this.

1- That after finishing a term as quaestor, the senator in question has to wait a minimal of 2 years to seek eletion as a praetor, he may do whatever he may wish in those two years.

2- That after finishing a term as praetor, the senator in question has to wait a minimal of 2 years to seek eletion as a Consul, he may do whatever he may wish in those two years between.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

Sextius started to laugh some of the senators probably thought it was thunder raising outside.

Senator Crescentius this law that you propose is how should i say it, just ridiculous. This will reduce the amount of people filling in offices. If we vote yes on this ridiculous motion of yours the curia will be empty very soon. So stop this nonsense and lets go back to business.

Could the senate answer my question regarding the budget so that i can leave to my province.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Turnus faces Crescentius

You bureaucrat, have you given any thought to your words? What if someone seeks Praetor for three consecutive years? What then? Will he have to wait another two years before holding consulship? What purpose does this law serve? If one can prove himself in the lower offices of the cursus honorum, then he should be allowed to proceed higher.

I call upon the rest of the House to oppose this foolish proposal.

Crusades

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

Tribune Narses limped into the Curia, and greeted his fellow Senators already present. He had not seen them for quite some time, no since that evening...

I heard that there is still an open spot for the office of Tribunus Plebis, since there was no one to stand against me.
    I therefore nominate Flavius Avitus Livius for said office. He is a young Plebeian Senator, and I think he deserves a chance to show the Senate what he is worth.

Sextius turned to Narses and listened to the man' s words. A new young plebeian he thought. Why not.

I do not know this man you are talking about senator Narses nor have i seen him in the curia before, if you could present this senator to us you will get my support for his nomination.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

He will show soon, I will speak to him and ask him to join us more in the Senate. He will be a fine Tribune if you give him the chance, I am sure of that...

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Ahenobarbus stares thunderstruck at Crescentius.

"What sort of bill, may I ask, is that? The maximum number of years to climb the Cursus, if you take the whole thing into account including the promagistrates, would usually take some eight years already. You would have us add another 4 years to that time? 12 years of a man's life spent in politics, a third of which would be either sitting there a non-magistrate, or doing something he's already done on a lower tier? I oppose this.

We must quickly appoint our needed offices. In times like these a Quaestor is most important, and a Pontifex will be required for our religious needs."

Senator Ahenobarbus two out of the three offices are already appointed to some one.

Quaestor will be Saevus, he will gain my support for this nomination.

Tribune will be Livius,

So Pontifex is the only office still available.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Someone has nominated Senator Crescentius for the job. If he does not have any objections, and no other man is nominated, then all 3 offices will be filled...

So it will be like this,

Quaestor will be Saevus, he will gain my support for this nomination.

Tribune will be Livius,

Pontifex will be Crecentius

If this matter is settled it would like the senate to answer the question about the budget that will be available for the Proconsul/praetor.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast