Butrint lies in south-west Albania, 20 km south of the modern port of Saranda. This archaeological site provides valuable evidence of ancient and medieval civilizations on the territory of modern Albania.
The site, on a hill next to a lake connecting to the sea by a canal, has been inhabited since prehistoric times. A Greek colony was founded there in the late 7th century BC, when the city (called Buthros) was surrounded by fortifications. Roman occupation prompted the development of the city and, during the Christian era, it became the seat of a bishopric. Many religious structures were built by the Christians. From the time the Slavs came to the Balkans (7th century) until the founding of the Epirus despotate (after the taking of Constantinople by the Crusades in 1204), the city underwent great trials. The city�s last era of prosperity was under Byzantine administration (Epirus). After a short period of occupation by the Venetians (late 14th century), the city under Ottoman administration was threatened by the marshes that formed around the lake, and was abandoned by the population.
An old Byzantine church
Parts of the Roman City
Near the lake
A recently discovered chess piece. Dating fifth century AD
Murals on Pillars
View of Butrint and Venetian tower to the right