Thread: Origins of Circumcision

Originally posted by Rapax+May 15 2005, 08:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> (Rapax @ May 15 2005, 08:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-haloband@May 16 2005, 03:48 AM

Hmmm, I always thought it was a Jewish tradition.
    And Jews have their origins where....&#33;? :getlost [/b][/quote]
    Themselves...? *gasp*

Originally posted by legionaireX+May 15 2005, 08:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> (legionaireX @ May 15 2005, 08:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Rapax@May 15 2005, 09:10 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-haloband
    @May 16 2005, 03:48 AM

And Jews have their origins where....&#33;? :getlost
    Egyptian slaves. Whats the big deal? And yes circumcision was a jewish tradition at the time so I don&#39;t think that the romans circumcised their young. What a strange question to ask. [/b][/quote]
    Based upon Romand and Greek artwork they most certainlly did not practice it.

This is a gross over simplificaiton, but all non-hellenistic middle eastern peoples practiced it - those north of did not.

FYI: Muslims also practice circumcision for the most part.

O'brien the Protector's Avatar Lord of the Mannequins

Originally posted by legionaireX+May 15 2005, 08:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td> (legionaireX @ May 15 2005, 08:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by Rapax@May 15 2005, 09:10 PM
    <!--QuoteBegin-haloband
    @May 16 2005, 03:48 AM

And Jews have their origins where....&#33;? :getlost
    Egyptian slaves. Whats the big deal? And yes circumcision was a jewish tradition at the time so I don&#39;t think that the romans circumcised their young. What a strange question to ask. [/b][/quote]
    the jews existed before they were slaves to egypt ( and besides there is no proof that there ever was any major populaiton of jews in egypt, nor that there was anyhitng like the exodus).
    Also curcomsition isnt done for the fun of it. There is a genetic desease ( that although jews suffer from it at a much higher precentge, it still exists in all human populations) that is fixed only by curcumsiiton, so I think its very proboble that the Romans did haev curcumsitions . BTW many poeple think that curcumsiiton is part of jewisasm becuase it bacame a tradition with the jews to do it at a young age to protect from getitng it when your older ( if your not curcumsizes by the time you hit puburty and you have the desease the pain is excutiating.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    -(Under the patronage of the humble, yet all powerful Lord Sephiroth.)-Royal House of the Black Prince

Lord of the Mannequins~Protector of Happiness, Bishop of Liberty, Guard of Hypocracy, Patriarch of Duality,O'briantheProtector(OBP)

haloband's Avatar Semisalis

Wow, I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve ever been quoted so many times before *tongue*

Honestly, I don&#39;t claim to know the orgins of circumcision, I had just always thought that it was a Jewish tradition.

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

the jews existed before they were slaves to egypt ( and besides there is no proof that there ever was any major populaiton of jews in egypt, nor that there was anyhitng like the exodus).
    The jews didn&#39;t exist as a people before becoming egyptian slaves. Semetic tribes did exist and the hebrews did exist, but they didn&#39;t become "Jewish" until after the were taken out of egypt. I know there is no proof but it is widely accepted among historians that the israelites did indeed come out of egypt.

Petronius's Avatar Biarchus

What historians are you referring to, legionaireX, that say that Jews came out of Egypt after slavery? To the best of my knowledge, this is a biblical myth rather than historical fact; there is no evidence that the Pyramids were built by slaves anyways, but rather by free citizens looking to rever their Pharoah.

Judaism historically originated in the land then known as Canaan, among Canaanite tribes; the Israelites are reckoned to be among those tribes who slowly drifted from a polytheistic religion to a monotheistic one (influenced by Babalonian and Persian sources in the 7th Century BCE). There is absolutely no evidence for a mass migration of people to the Levant in the time period specified by the Old Testament; rather, the Hebrews were a native tribe who extended their influence over a continously larger area.

Tempus fugit, et nos fugimus in illus. (Time flies and we fly with it.)

-Publius Ovidius Naso

Romanos's Avatar Hey

what is with these post about Circumcision :blink this is like the second one today who really care about it, come on nobody *wink*
    Under the Great and Honorable Patronage of Fabolous
    Patron (father) of Sir Matthias and ForgottenImmortal
    Grandson of Lucius Veronus
    Member of S.I.N
    Sept 2003 - 2004 - 2nd Generation Jun 23 2004 (25-Feb)

Circumcision (according to some studies) must have appeared in Homo Sapiens Sapiens tribes which travelled within and out of Africa. It&#39;s origin was that of a people faced with moist and hot climate, who saw it as a higienic necessity. Later on, these tribes traveleld north and east, and those who stayed on temperate-warm climates (modern day arabian peninsula and palestine) kept the same habit, which by then had become tribal taboo. Northern-most tribes did not maintain the circumsion because it was not in any way "needed".
    浪人 - 二天一

Bruticus the Steadfast's Avatar Civitate

Well, it seems most Americans are...why...I do not know lol. I wonder what the % is by place. Are most Europeans?
    Under the patronage of the Black Prince

Originally posted by Bruticus the Steadfast@May 16 2005, 05:00 PM
    Well, it seems most Americans are...why...I do not know lol. I wonder what the % is by place. Are most Europeans?
    Back in the 50s circumcision was associated with Hygiene and cleanliness in America. To this day medicare covers the procedure so the majority of parent simply get it done, why not?

The procedure is also covered by most major health plans in America. I think that also contributes to our high rate. Here the rate is 50%. In New Zealand the procedure is not covered and only about .35% of childern are circumcised.