Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stringtable error when using alex.exe

Default Stringtable error when using alex.exe

I've played RTR alot a few years back. A few days ago i thought about playing again. So i 've installed everything, including alexander. I heared that using alex.exe has some cool benefits. Problem is, i can't get Extended Realism to work with alex.exe. The mod works just fine with the BI exe. But when i try to use alex.exe i get the following error:
    Couldn't find settlement name apameia in stringtable

What i've tried sofar:
    Deleting the alexander folder
    Deleting all map.rwm files

I must be missing something. Anyone have any ideas?

decimator22's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Stringtable error when using alex.exe

I beleive the new version of ExRm (3.4) is not compatible with rtw.exe nor alex.exe.

Quote Originally Posted by decimator22 View Post
    I beleive the new version of ExRm (3.4) is not compatible with rtw.exe nor alex.exe.
    Thats too bad Any plans to change that in future releases?

I don't think so as not many people have alex and bi has many benefits that alex doesn't have. However every mod that works for rtw.exe can be used with the other exes.

Primicerius

There is a way to make ExRM work with RTW.exe, right? Check out the d/l thread...

Those instructions are for the 3.3 version.

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

They should work for 3.4, though, I would think. I don't think we've changed anything relevant. I don't have Alex, though, so I can't tell you for sure.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

DraeKlae's Avatar Libertus

It might not work if ExRM uses BI-specific resources such as hording factions or shield wall special abilities, since these work only on BI and not in Alex.

I think the special abilities are simply disabled, or he can just delete them from the EDU. We're not using hording yet, so that should be fine.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    I think the special abilities are simply disabled, or he can just delete them from the EDU. We're not using hording yet, so that should be fine.
    Does anyone have prefers naval invasions, or does it work with Alex as well?

Well, that worked with RTW, too, it just had negligible effect (IIRC).

Quote Originally Posted by DraeKlae View Post
    It might not work if ExRM uses BI-specific resources such as hording factions or shield wall special abilities, since these work only on BI and not in Alex.
    I tried to remove those resources but it didnt change anything. I also tried to edit the town name i got in the error. I changed to what it was called in one of the backup files. That only resulted in me getting an error for a different town name, so that didnt really work.

Im now playing regular RTR with alex.exe and it has been a blast sofar. Im being pounded by full stacks and i have been fighting a 3 front war for the last 25 or so turns. If i remember correctly, the BI exe has the tendency to spam small armys of 3 or 4 units. Seeing much less of that with alex.exe

Hmmm, I checked a couple of potential culprit files and Apameia is in there. Did you follow the alex.exe installation instructions?

I've seen less of that small army spamming in BI, but that's just me.

I'm trying to get ExRm to work with Alex.exe as well and get the same error:
    script error ... exrm/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt line 234 col 5
    couldn't find settlement name 'Apameia' in stringtable

Also, in the start campaign window, when clicking on the german icon I get an immediate CTD. All other factions are OK (in the sense that they return me to the previous menu and later I see the stringtable error)

I checked the settlement name lookup and the bi_regions_and_settlement names and Apameia is present in both. I don't know where else to look. Any idea where this stringtable is defined, or from where does it take its entries?

As far as installation goes - I changed the exrm.exe to target alex exe with the '-noalexander' param, added the immortal trait, copied the chat_filter.san into the data folder and commented out the can_swim attributes in the EDU(schiltrom and shieldwall were not present, nor was any horde faction in the sm_factions).
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana...

Apparently the ALEX.exe uses the imperial campaign txt's and not the bi campaign, so I made a backup of the data/text/imperial campaign regions and settlements names.txt and just replaced the entries in the original one with those form the bi version.

It cleared the two errors I described above, but then it spit out:
    ...world/maps/imperial_campaign/descr_strat line 939 col 12
    could not create settlement at script line 939

However, after running the campaign map reset, I succeeded in starting a campaign. Did 1 turn without any problems as well, but don't have time for more now. Hope this helps.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana...

Heptagenia's Avatar Civis

Did you mean in exrm folder

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Yes

I was trying to play this mod, but with the rtw.exe. But i have the same problem than you, and i haven't the BI, so I can't do the same fix than you... Can you upload somewhere the txt: bi_regions_and_settlement names.txt?

Heptagenia's Avatar Civis

Here is the file to play with alexander Attachment 47865

I followed Iskandar's steps until the descr_strat error in line 939, but the campaign reset didn't work for me. Hope that anybody has any advice to fix this.
    I'm using RTW 1.5 and Vista.

Thanks in advance. Enjoyed RTRPE a couple of years ago and hope to enjoy ExRM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast