Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Custom Prussian Flags & Infantry Textures

Default Custom Prussian Flags & Infantry Textures

UPDATE:
    Well, I'm sure not many people care about this, but I'm sure those who did use my mod figured I'm no longer updating it. After the birth of my beautiful little Zoey, spending time in a game not actually PLAYING it was a luxury I didn't really have anymore. What time I do have I want to play games, not alter them.

So to those who used my mod: I hope you enjoyed it! If anyone wants to, feel free to continue the project on your own if you want all the units done.

This is just a little personal project of mine that I'm working on for the Prussian faction. This is not by any means historically accurate, just more for my own aesthetic pleasure. I figured I'd post it on here in case anyone would want the files as well.

RECENT CHANGES: I've updated the flag mod with the new agent flags. Thank you to Officerpuppy for helping me find that file! I've also fixed the "black box" around the naval ID icons as the alpha channel did not properly load. I've also uploaded a few unit icons into the Retexture mod. As of right now, the line infantry work correctly, but the others I've uploaded are affecting all factions and not just the Prussians. Still working on this to try and figure out how to single them out so it only affects Prussian icons.

Mod Includes:

-All Faction Flags changed for all government types.
    -Line Infantry, Republican Guard Infantry, Guard Infantry, Prussian Jaegers, Regiment of Horse, General's Bodyguard, Cuirassiers (Heavy Cavalry), and Uhlans (Lancer Cavalry) have been changed.
    -Unit Icons changed: Line Infantry, Cuirassiers (Heavy Cavalry), and Regiment of Horse

More retextures to come as I get to them. This is my first time ever trying to mess with game files and such so hopefully this all comes out fairly decent.

To install just place in your data folder and use ModManager to enable both.
    Last edited by Gamewizcreations; June 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM.

Skyline Pete's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Custom Prussian Flags

Damn good work mate!

So would anyone happen to know why the flags are doing that? (See my above post) I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I hate to bump my own thread but I really could use help if anyone knows how to fix the black block issue on the flags...

Are you sure the original has a black background? I made one for the battle map with the draped flags that hang on the side of the formation buttons, and it had a transparent background. I would have thought these flags would be the same.

Ya I'm sure they do. Here are the extracted portrait flags for both the regular prussian and the prussian republic. I extracted them using Pack File Manager and open/edit them through Photoshop CS3. They show up with a black background. I tried going back into Photoshop and just deleting the black background and re-saving it, but the tga format places a white background in it's place when I go to the game... Is there a save setting I'm missing here? I just save re-save it without changing any save settings (only option is 3 settings for quality and I leave it at 32 bits/pixels). So I dunno what to do here. Should I change it to a gif setting or something so that transparency is possible?

Edit: I've also randomly checked about 8 other factions portrait flags and they are all black backgrounds as well so it's not just the Prussian flags.

Another Edit: Also, Gilthanor, the draped flags that you are talking about are a seperate file. I've changed those as well and they work great so I haven't had a problem with them at all. Those are the flags labeled hud_left and hud_right. And whats stranger is that those files also have a black background, but it's transparent in the game... :/ I dunno what the heck is going on.
    Last edited by Gamewizcreations; May 01, 2009 at 07:50 PM.

Ok, last time I will try and bump this to get some help and then I'll let it die and hopefully figure it out on my own then.

I finally gave it a go with my first ever retexture using the line infantry for Prussia. Nothing too fancy, and again, not historically accurate, but just messing around. I will probably play around with the guards or something next, not sure yet exactly.

I finally figured out what the problem was with those portrait flags.... For some reason the alpha channel was not included in the original file when I extracted it, so I just added my own to remove the black background. The only other problem I then faced was that the flags still kept showing up over the portrait of your monarch, so I just cropped the flags so that it looked like they were behind him from now on. I've reuploaded the file now that it's completed.

Mr. Scott's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Custom Prussian Flags & Infantry Textures

hey, does anyone know of a good jpg to dds converter (where you don't have to buy).

I tried the dds 2.0 thing or whatnot but it doesn't work for me (I have vista).
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.” ― John Maynard Keynes

Scotty, I use this one right here: http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk...ad/dxtbmpx.EXE Seems to work great for me. I use Photoshop CS3 to alter the textures and then save them as a DDS texture using this program.

Awesome work! Keep it up!

I keep getting an error when I try to unzip the file after the download.

I've used Winrar for years, so yes I'm aware of how to unzip files.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus View Post
    I keep getting an error when I try to unzip the file after the download.

I've used Winrar for years, so yes I'm aware of how to unzip files.
    Weird... I didn't check the zip files but it did the same thing to me. I went ahead and replaced them with .rar files instead which work fine on my end. So hopefully they will work fine for you now.

Mr. Scott's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Gamewizcreations View Post
    Scotty, I use this one right here: http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk...ad/dxtbmpx.EXE Seems to work great for me. I use Photoshop CS3 to alter the textures and then save them as a DDS texture using this program.
    thanks, it really helped me a lot.
    “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.” ― John Maynard Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by scottypd54 View Post
    thanks, it really helped me a lot.
    No problem. Glad to help.

Ok I decided that my first texture job was absolute crap, so I decided to redo my first texture of the line infantry before moving onto the other Prussian units. I spent my time on this one and made sure I did it right this time, so without further ado, here's the Prussian new line infantry.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Original Line Infantry

First retexture attempt

Final Line Infantry retexture
    Last edited by Gamewizcreations; May 07, 2009 at 01:03 AM.

I've been working on the Prussian Guard and have come up with two versions. One is a white coat with black shirt and the other is reversed with a black coat and white shirt. I'm curious as to which people think looks better as I'm torn between the two. Let me know which you prefer!

black coats are better IMO

nice work so far

Quote Originally Posted by skullman86 View Post
    black coats are better IMO

nice work so far
    Ok cool. Thanks for the input!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast