Thread: What I Expect to see at E3

For PC - a few MMORPGS, lots of First Person Shooter and RTS and many one from every other genre if even that. ie. same as last year and boring.

consoles:
    Playstation - PS3 games - lots of cloned RPGs, action games
    XBOX - XBOX 360 games - lots of PC Style games, multiplayer focus, mostly action games and a few rpgs.
    Gamecube - Probably a bunch of old GREAT sidescroller games transferred into 3D like they usually do.

Modern gaming trends are INCREDIBLY boring. In fact I know i will probably only going to be interested in less than a handfull of games they show if even that. The fact that they only headline clone trash like every First Person Shooters, MMORPGS, console RPGs, and RTS game that has been coming out lately, which is a descripter that applies to almost all, will make this not even worth noting in my opinion. Sure a few are origional but a vast majority are not, also the fact that those are the only genres that exist on pc (besides console rpgs) makes it even worse. I miss the days where there was MORE than 3 genres. E3 is for hype now more than even, afterall thats the only way they can sell this trash. Very few of these mass genre games are even good, and i would trade one of those for something in one of the dead genres. Sure the dead genres aren't completely dead but when you have 100+ FPS, RTS, and MMORPG titles a year and the titles in every other COMBINED genre number less than 10 then it is ridiculous.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Originally posted by Kanaric@May 16 2005, 02:47 PM
    For PC - a few MMORPGS, lots of First Person Shooter and RTS and many one from every other genre if even that. ie. same as last year and boring.

consoles:
    Playstation - PS3 games - lots of cloned RPGs, action games
    XBOX - XBOX 360 games - lots of PC Style games, multiplayer focus, mostly action games and a few rpgs.
    Gamecube - Probably a bunch of old GREAT sidescroller games transferred into 3D like they usually do.

Modern gaming trends are INCREDIBLY boring. In fact I know i will probably only going to be interested in less than a handfull of games they show if even that. The fact that they only headline clone trash like every First Person Shooters, MMORPGS, console RPGs, and RTS game that has been coming out lately, which is a descripter that applies to almost all, will make this not even worth noting in my opinion. Sure a few are origional but a vast majority are not, also the fact that those are the only genres that exist on pc (besides console rpgs) makes it even worse. I miss the days where there was MORE than 3 genres. E3 is for hype now more than even, afterall thats the only way they can sell this trash. Very few of these mass genre games are even good, and i would trade one of those for something in one of the dead genres. Sure the dead genres aren't completely dead but when you have 100+ FPS, RTS, and MMORPG titles a year and the titles in every other COMBINED genre number less than 10 then it is ridiculous.
    I'm actually pretty excited about the E3 this year. Sure, it's a lot of the same, but such great things like Civilization IV and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will be shown, both of which are out of the mainstream for their genres, and both of which look to be fantastic games.

And then there's Battlefield 2, which I'm not that excited about.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

I agree on pretty much all of that. Gaming has become stagnent

To me the only hopes lie in STALKER, and maybe Boiling Point. Anything which melds Genres SUCCESFULLY.
    Basically the industry needs fresh air breathing into it, and less supergiants like EA sat atop developers.
    I don't look foward to the day when I have to say "Hey matexyz, have you seen the new EA, generic shooter 27" (by this I am saying Game is soon to be replaced with EA.)

Think about it "Coming soon the new EA from the publisher EA, developed by EA, and ex EA members"

Oh yeah Oblivion looks good. Why is it that RPG's are the only games doing anything right now.

OK I'm just gonna list somethings which look OK:

Hellgate London
    Prey
    Battlestations Midway
    Company of Heroes
    STALKER
    Boiling Point
    Civ 4
    X3
    Black and White 2
    The Movies
    Call of Duty 2
    Singles 2

Guess which one I am lying about. hehehe
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Originally posted by Stalins Ghost@May 16 2005, 02:53 PM
    Oh yeah Oblivion looks good. Why is it that RPG's are the only games doing anything right now.
    Oh, I forgot to mention Final Fantasy XII. It's Square Enix's last chance to redeem themselves in my eyes, it's been a slide downwards ever since FFX.

If FFXII isn't great, they've lost one loyal FF fan's business.

What i'm saying is sure there will be good games but its not going to be many that are worth mentioning. Also most of the projects outside of the 3 main genres FPS, RTS, and MMORPG are Japanese RPGs for PS2 (i used to be hardcore into them until PS2) which haven't been very good lately and sports games.

Oblivian will be great, and sure some FPS games like BF2 will be and of course there is the RTW expansion and CIV 4 but i can't picture much else being even mildly attracting besides how they look graphically. I just know there is going to be a flood of games from the three main genres, which i have NO interest in.... well BF2 maybe.

E3 last year and the year before was like that as well. They only want to create games now a days that appreal to mass audiences and sell million of copies, even though they end up getting sunk in their own ship due to the fact that its what everyone else is doing as well.

Actually the only reason i still play games now is that there are a VERY FEW that i like that have high replayability or are still entertaining after playing it for a while, RTW, Guild Wars (though it hasn't had the test of time yet), Half-Life 1&2, etc. MMORPGs.... i could write a whole new post on why i hate those games but they used to be one as well.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Yup, precisely what I'm thinking. Odd really, I have found myself agreeing with everything you have said tonite Kanaric.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Originally posted by Stalins Ghost@May 16 2005, 03:12 PM
    Yup, precisely what I'm thinking. Odd really, I have found myself agreeing with everything you have said tonite Kanaric.
    The end of the world is nigh.

What I hope is that now that graphics are getting mind-bogginglingly good, developers will start to focus less and less on beating the competition in graphics and more and more in actually making a good, original game.

For some reason I feel like great graphics was Squaresoft/Square Enix's curse... it was all down hill from Final Fantasy X. :grin Tell me, Kanaric, did you like the FF games before they moved to the PS2?

I totally agree with Kanaric with what he's saying aswell. No barbarian invasion yet :angry

Has anyone seen the PS3 Launch. The games look awesome and the console looks well cool.

I am on fire, but an extinguisher is not required.

Originally posted by The Thracian@May 17 2005, 09:51 AM
    I totally agree with Kanaric with what he's saying aswell. No barbarian invasion yet :angry

Has anyone seen the PS3 Launch. The games look awesome and the console looks well cool.

See the PS3 Unveiled thread. *wink*

Everything is awesome, except the new controller. Disgusting.

H_man's Avatar Decanus

I'm looking forward to the revolution because I want to see the game industry add spice to it. It's sooooo bland right now. I hope it is actually revolutionary and not just gimmicky.

I agree, I hate how many accursed wrestling games there are these days, not to mention stupid anti-terrorist shoot-em-ups.

Don't get me started on the over-diluted WWII "genre".

But still, there are at LEAST, four mindblowing games at it:

STALKER (a novel FPS for once, free roaming, BRILLIANT AI etc.)

X3 (free roaming, business building in space, and coming out in September, whoot&#33

Oblivion (best RPG ever (plus the best looking game ever, to boot))

Spore (best game EVER)

Yep, Spore may be the answer for you my friend. I'll be damned if there's a more original game in existence.

That's right, the best game EVER concieved...

Yup STALKER looks friggin amazing. Enemy Territory Quake Wars looks pretty sweet too. And Quake 4. I love the art style in them both.

Oh and X3. For me, as long as that has a good method of organising your 100 ship fleets then I'll be fine with it. And the Ship control has gotta be better.
    morecuriousthanbold.com