Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Episode III and the Star Wars Legacy

AlexanderII's Avatar Civis

There are spoilers in this thread, for those who haven't seen the movie and do not want to know what happens before seeing it, leave here and go to another thread.
    "I'm not a complete idiot -- some parts are missing..."

Mozart, the Led Zeppelin of classical music; or is it Led Zeppelin, the Mozart of classic rock?

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

I doubt it will surpass the original trilogy, but it will be the best of the new one.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

No reply just a question,
    In episode 1 they tested anakins blood and found a high (??)
    what was that ??

I forgot what it was called, but it just shows how strong in the force they are...

Mozart, the Led Zeppelin of classical music; or is it Led Zeppelin, the Mozart of classic rock?

Dunno. First three parts had spirit in them. These latest 2, and possibly third one as well, lack in innovation and story. And, to be honest, many actor performances feel more sterile than operating theaters in major hospitals.

Special effects are cool I admit but again they feel somehow... Plain. In episode IV in the beginning as the ISD flew to the screen... Now THAT was cool. And stormtroopers are far better opponents than these droids.

Yoda in his battle looked like a superball... I found it ridiculous. And that story about some mitochlorian that gives sensitivity to force and Anakin and his virgin birth... Oh god...

In short... I like originals far more. Cool special effects just can't save something that has no other good qualities.

Everyone is warhero, genius and millionaire in Internet, so don't be surprised that I'm not impressed.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

At last!! I'm not the only one who thought the yoda fight was more than a little rediculous.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

somewhat speculative this thread right now, considering the film isn't even out yet....

i actually think that the 2 sets of films are done in such different scales its hard to compare them... whether that makes one set better or worse is hard to say...

special effects are obviously better, but you'd expect that in a newer film. you have to say really that the special effects in the original are even more impessive taken in context with the time they were created.

musically.. newer is better by far... while the original soundtracks have the distinctive music everyone associates with starwars, john williams art gets better as time passes...

acting wise... to be honest, i find a lot of the stuff in the original trilogy corney to say the least, but it depends what you're looking for. the newer trilogy is a far more action based film, and the acting suits it.

overall... i think revenge of the sith could cap them all... better to wait and find out than prejudge a film based on about 5 minutes worth of various preview footage

btw... this is becomming the official Star Wars Episode III revenge of the Sith thread.... we don;t need threads for every facet of the film, if they appear anything relevant will rematerialise here and the rest will disappear.

I know no matter what I willl be dissapointed:

If its good I will be angry at the waste of a movie that was Episode 1 & 2 those are the only versions of those we will get and they has to waste their ability to direct by half-assing these?

Of course if it sucks I will begin to dislike Star Wars which will be dissapointing in itself.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Here are some early reviews

Positive

Reel Views
    Hollywood Reporter

Negitive
    Rolling Stones

Personally I never trust Rolling Stones - They gave good reviews to Tank Girl IIRC
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

what was that ??
    They found a high midiclorian count. Midiclorians are supposed to be small animals which tell how much force power someone can harnass.

On topic, I think that this film could be the most heavily attended film anywhere at the box offices since Return of the Jedi. I have high expectations and according to what I have read they may be met. It is not normal to see almost all the critics praising a single film.

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

The reviews I've read have all been negative, giving it one star or two out of five. Maybe that's just us cyncial Brits.

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

LegionnaireX's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Originally posted by Lord Tomyris@May 16 2005, 02:49 PM
    The reviews I've read have all been negative, giving it one star or two out of five. Maybe that's just us cyncial Brits.
    :shocked What on earth have you been reading?

Rolling Stone, you mean MTV the magazine. I hate the stupid magazine, its the most trendies, shallow piece of garbage out there. They gave Songs for the Deaf and Rated R 3 stars out of four, the same as the Lizzie Maguire CD, I swear there isn't a single musician working at that magazine or anyone respectable for that matter.

Back to the movie, I have been waiting for this since the ending of episode II, the only bad things I can imagine would be wrong with the movies would be the dialogue and acting, which all Star Wars movies suck at regardless. I look forward to the story-telling in this one which would be really hard for a man of Lucas talents to screw up. But then again you must always prepare yourselves for the worst.

On a better note, one of the worlds most respectable magazines (Time) gave the movie a fairly positive review, saying that its faults did lie in the acting and dialogue. They said it was the best of the new movies and equal to the old ones.

Originally posted by legionaireX@May 16 2005, 02:44 PM
    what was that ??
    They found a high midiclorian count. Midiclorians are supposed to be small animals which tell how much force power someone can harnass.

On topic, I think that this film could be the most heavily attended film anywhere at the box offices since Return of the Jedi. I have high expectations and according to what I have read they may be met. It is not normal to see almost all the critics praising a single film.
    one way they ruined Star Wars for me, they tried to rationalize the force instead of keeping it mystical. That was one annoying mistake they have made.

I generall dont believe reviews until a few of them have been out. I know people love EP2 until it had a week or two to settle in then everyone realized it sucked. Your just too caught up in the hype to really think it through.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

The force is still mystical its just those midichlorian things or whatever are supposed to speak to you and tell you the will of the force. Anyway I think this one will be better although it dissapoints me its been so sold out I mean looking around everything is star wars: burger king 7 11 etc. I thought the yoda battle was great I was like "hey its like a leprachaun on crack." which I got to say because I was the only person in the theatre (2 really bombed near me). I'm looking forward to mace windu fighting sidious aka token black guy taking on the villain lol. Anyway I think its gonna be better than 1 2 and 5 and maybe 4 as well.
    Me and my friend sam
    Sam "Hey Tom should I kill them all?" Me "yes" Sam "even the women and children?" Me "Especially the women and children"

From StarDestroyer.net:

The Force

We learn three principal things about the Force in TPM:

Jedi Knights have much finer telekinetic control than was previously suspected. Although it had long been known that a Jedi Knight could easily lift and throw large, heavy objects such as starfighters or machinery components (as seen in TESB), it is a revelation that a Jedi Knight's control over the Force is fine enough that he could potentially clean out Las Vegas. The manipulation of Watto's chance cube may not seem stupendous compared to lifting starfighters or large boulders, but try to imagine waiting for a rolling, bouncing chance cube. Even if we assume that you are invisible (so no one will detect your movements) and already crouched down in position, you will have a lot of trouble making that cube look like it is naturally bouncing into the desired orientation.

Jedi Knights do not need a clear line of sight to the object they are manipulating. The droids knocked down by Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon weren't merely knocked down- they were actually disabled, as described in the novelization and as seen in the film by the fact that they never got back up. Since their outer casings were undamaged, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon must have destroyed inner mechanisms without being able to see them through their casings.

The strength of a prospective Jedi Knight's abilities can be measured by his "midi-chlorian count."

It is the third revelation which has caused the most controversy. The first two revelations are only interesting if you have no familiarity with the novels, or if you don't accept them. But the midi-chlorians are a subject of intense speculation and in many cases, derision and outrage among Star Wars fans. Qui-Gon had the following to say about the midi-chlorians: "Midi-chlorians are microscopic life forms that reside within the cells of all living things and communicate with the Force."

"Symbiants. Life forms living together for mutual advantage. Without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force." Midi-chlorians are not, as some have suggested, something that can give anyone Force skills. You cannot "inject someone with midi-chlorians and turn him into a Jedi" as some illogical thinkers have claimed. Why do I say this? Two reasons:

Qui-Gon clearly states that midi-chlorians are already in the cells of all living things- not just Jedi Knights.

If they exist inside your cells rather than as foreign cells in your bloodstream, then you would have to inject them into every single cell in your body, assuming that they can be isolated at all.

Could the existence of midi-chlorians be a mere religious belief? Unlikely, since they are able to measure it. But what do they do? This is the part where one must question the validity of Qui-Gon's explanation. How does he know this is what they do? It seems to be a quasi-religious belief structure, couched in the language of religion with phrases like "if you quiet your mind, you can hear them speaking to you."

In the end analysis, we know that there is a correlation between midi-chlorian counts and Force skills. But is a correlation the same thing as a cause? If you answered "yes", then you should slap yourself on the side of the head and go back to school for lessons in elementary logic. High midi-chlorian counts may cause Force attunement, or they may be caused by it. They may not be directly related at all- perhaps it is indirect. Perhaps they have something to do with the so-called "life energy" of a person, and it is the strength of a person's "life force" that determines his ability to use the Force (remember that Yoda created unexpectedly massive life-form readings on Luke's scanners as he plunged toward Dagobah in TESB, and a swamp cannot be such an unusual phenomenon in the SW galaxy that Luke is surprised by life-form readings from indigenous life). In any case, I reiterate: the only meaningful conclusion from the film is that there is some sort of correlation. Anything else is unfounded supposition, or worse.

The similarity between "midichlorians" and real-life mitichondria is too great to ignore. Midichlorians are described as microscopic life forms which exist inside our cells in a symbiant relationship with us. Mitichondria are microscopic life forms which exist inside our cells in a symbiant relationship with us. Without midichlorians, Qui-Gon said that life could not exist. Without mitichondria, humans and most other multi-cellular organisms could not survive in real life. Midichlorians may be a measure of Force ability, or perhaps simply the strength of a being's "life energy." Mitichondria help our bodies generate the bio-chemical energy that we need to function. If midichlorians are indeed the Republic term for mitichondria, then the theory about midichlorians being a measure of "life energy" rather than a direct measurement of Force abilities may have some weight. In any case, as previously stated, the similarities are far too strong to ignore.
    Personally, I think "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" will kick some major booty. Really, the only Star Wars movie that I don't love is "The Phantom Menace" which I just like. Not that me liking something means much of anything, because I cannot think of a single movie that I don't like. Unless you count movies that I decided not to watch becuause they where too scary or disgusting.

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

I've never been too caught up with the Star Wars minutae. I just know that Ep. 1 and Ep. 2 were decent movies. Ep. 3 has the potential to be the most decent, but I fear they might go the more action-esque route, which would cancel out that possibility. Personally, I still think ep. 5 was the best.
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That's like a crack-head asking for $5 on Credit.

Oh, i forgot about Mace Windu! That's going to be awesome. I also hope that ep. 3 will give more light to Darth Sidious. Does anyone know how he became the Sith Lord?

Pretty much all the (credible) interenet reviews out there on Ep. III can be found here: www.rottentomatoes.com
    ~wall

i'm not a big star wars fan, hell i am probably not considered a star wars fan but im certainly gonna watch episode 3.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast