Page 60 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1035505152535455565758596061626364656667686970 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1642

Thread: Suggestions for new content for RR/RC?

Default Re: Suggestions for new content for RR/RC?

I'd really like to simulate different governing systems, not forgetting BGR of course.

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    I'd really like to simulate different governing systems, not forgetting BGR of course.
    Well I've sent some information to Caesar about how Venice and Genoa were governed, I'll see what he says about it.

Gnostiko's Avatar Campidoctor

That is an excellent idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium guard View Post
    Can the military school in Constantinople could teach military training to the freshmen since it is a military school. The freshman will learn military training if he is military minded and for the administrative minded, they will learn in university administration. Constantinople was the greatest city in the world, including the culture, I think the city will be logically, has a great library
    IIRC, I'm not sure, but the university in Constantinople benefits both sets of characters.

Having dismounted pronoarii might be interesting since Byzantium nearly doesn't have feudal units. And about pronoarii, this "feudal" system wasn't implanted in the Komenian era? If so, could you put the pronoarii in the early era (I've seen a rebel army with pronoarii in 1109 )
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    The "feudal" system that gave rise to the Pronoiarii only came later.
    He gets a quarter of a point for that, CC
    While not as full blown as in the later era, the Pronoia system was slowly gathering momentum again by the time of the Komnenoi. I also agree that if the west gets dismounted feudal knights, and the east gets dismounted ghulams...we should get dismounted Pronoiarioi! Not as fantastical as it sounds considering the (relatively)scarce equestrian resources to hand.

Is there any chance we could remove the "Backwards spear" javelins that Almughavars and such have and replace them with the sleek-looking ones that Catalans and Jinetes use?

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostiko View Post
    He gets a quarter of a point for that, CC
    While not as full blown as in the later era, the Pronoia system was slowly gathering momentum again by the time of the Komnenoi.
    Ok he gets a quarter of a point But the landholdings the Pronoiarii held only got large enough to support a feudal style fighting man after the Komnennean period.

I also agree that if the west gets dismounted feudal knights, and the east gets dismounted ghulams...we should get dismounted Pronoiarioi! Not as fantastical as it sounds considering the (relatively)scarce equestrian resources to hand.
    Could be an interesting addition. But as always there is the problem of unit slots...

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Ok he gets a quarter of a point But the landholdings the Pronoiarii held only got large enough to support a feudal style fighting man after the Komnennean period.
    True, but they were there thanks to smallholdings!

Could be an interesting addition. But as always there is the problem of unit slots...
    [whisper]I was going to advocate scrapping Alamannoi and replacing them by upping the recruitment pool of Mercenary German foot/knights in Roman lands to free up a slot...[/whisper]

Would that work? The Merc German Knights are in partial plate, would that fit in with the year the Alamannoi year of availability?

are there any mercenaries based on alliances in the mod? Like the ones in the new Spain campaign?
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Would that work? The Merc German Knights are in partial plate, would that fit in with the year the Alamannoi year of availability?
    I'd need to double check (where am I even looking for their official armour level?) as I was just going off of their in-game skins. Conceptually, I don't see any problems with it as the unit is already composed of...mercenary german knights!

I know next to nothing about Byzantine history, but maybe you could remove their horsearcher unit (The Ippo-something-or-other, not the Steppe archers) making them reliant on the Skythikon (Spelling?) for horsearchers and free up a space for Dismounted Proniarii. I dont know if that's historically accurate or not though.

Actually, there are quite a few units I'd like to see go on the chopping block (From various factions) so other factions can have a more unique unit roster. The Kievan Rus, Timurids, and Norwegians are in dire need of some unique units IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hippacrocafish View Post
    I know next to nothing about Byzantine history, but maybe you could remove their horsearcher unit (The Ippo-something-or-other, not the Steppe archers) making them reliant on the Skythikon (Spelling?) for horsearchers and free up a space for Dismounted Proniarii. I dont know if that's historically accurate or not though.
    It's not; the Ippotoxotai represent the steppe or Turkic people's serving in Roman armies who are more 'settled' within the borders of the Empire. Technically speaking they're a part of the army's infrastructure as opposed to an ad-hoc mercenary formation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostiko View Post
    It's not; the Ippotoxotai represent the steppe or Turkic people's serving in Roman armies who are more 'settled' within the borders of the Empire. Technically speaking they're a part of the army's infrastructure as opposed to an ad-hoc mercenary formation.
    Well then, maybe we could get rid of some other superfluous units. I'd want to get rid of some of these:

-Sudanese Tribesmen (Tribal Warriors are cooler-looking and better, they esentially fill the same role.)
    -Dregjnar (Viking Raiders are enough don't you think?)
    -Sherwood Archers (I'm almost absolutely certain that those aren't historically accurate.)
    -Irish Kerns (Ireland hardly ever sees any action.)
    -Svenner (Norway can use Scouts like Denmark.)

That's all I can think of now, I'll leave it to PB's scrutiny though.
    Last edited by hippacrocafish; July 27, 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Actually Denmark should use Svenner and scrap scouts. Svenner are more accurate than just generic scouts.

Actually Denmark should use Svenner and scrap scouts. Svenner are more accurate than just generic scouts.
    Good idea, but isn't "Svenner" just sergeant in Danish? (Or Norwegian, whatever language it's in) So that would mean that they are essentially the same thing as Mounted Sergeants right? Maybe both of them could be scrapped and that would open up two slots.

Another unit that I feel needs to go are Javelinmen (The generic ones you get in Iberia) that is unless there is an Iberian territory where you can't get Lustitanian Javelinmen.

Svenner means squires basically. They were the lowest rank of the medieval Hird system. So they're not the same as a sergeant (who is a professional soldier)

Svenner means squires basically. They were the lowest rank of the medieval Hird system. So they're not the same as a sergeant (who is a professional soldier)
    Ah, then I say giving them to Denmark and getting rid of Scouts is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hippacrocafish View Post
    Ah, then I say giving them to Denmark and getting rid of Scouts is a good idea.
    That's what I did in BftB2. Gave me another unit slot to play with

PB, would it be possible to make Ghazi's a permanent recruitable unit for the Seljuks?

Yeah, when/where should they appear etc? What unit category?

Unit category? Erm...religious/mercenary
    When? 1140-1400
    Where? Only in Central/Eastern Anatolia

Essentially it's the same conditions as any Jihad army recruiting but with a lower cost/upkeep, as Anatolia was swarming with them during the Turks' wars with the Romans. I'm tempted to say for 100% historical accuracy we should simply enable them as a mercenary unit for the Turks, regardless of Jihad, but I think it would be simpler just to make them an AoR troop type....unless I've got that the wrong way around?