Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for new content for RR/RC?

Default Re: Suggestions for new content for RR/RC?

I havent tried it yet but this one sounds good: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245384

Also the idea of having only some certain regions to be able to build up to a certain level is cool. Although it needs a lot of thinking it through, as it may cause huge balance issues (which ones ). I belive the "smallest" regions could be build up to castle/stone wall level.
    I also like the idea of capitals having more value (they could be getting some additional money for it (e.g. depending of the level of city/castle walls), or bonus happyness for splendour of living in the capital, or that you would be able to recruit some extra unit like Palace guards or something) Which would of course have to go away when you switch capitals. Maybe it could be done with an additional building that gives those bonuses and is automaticly destroyed when you change capitals and buid (also automaticly) the next turn in the new capital.

And the stone forts that are destroyed after some time of being unoccupied is nice.

Oh and are those ideas only for the next RR/RC or for the next release of this great compilation of mods: REAL RECRUITMENT 1.3 / REAL COMBAT 1.8 for STAINLESS STEEL 6.1 BETA ?

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by szelbisz View Post
    Oh and are those ideas only for the next RR/RC or for the next release of this great compilation of mods: REAL RECRUITMENT 1.3 / REAL COMBAT 1.8 for STAINLESS STEEL 6.1 BETA ?
    Those are the same thing

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Wasn't sure

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

Perhaps we could look at the mega-city problem another way:

what are the factors that lead to certain places become highly populated and others less so?

Partly they had good agricultural land (so maybe we reduce the value of agricultural land in poorer parts of the map);
    they had good transportation - so population bonus for higher tier ports maybe (and maybe a limit on where the best ports can be built - and
    only allow paved roads in certain parts of the map (and highways around designated cities) and give a population bonus to roads?
    (can use hidden resource paved_roads, highways to control these.)
    they sucked in people from other parts of the country (even other countries) because of their employment opportunities, so maybe a population bonus to certain trade buildings.

note: we'd have these places growing too quickly currently if we did all that so perhaps a reduction in settlement mechanics for the SPF factors to slow down the overall growth rate of all places.

(I'd recommend changing more castles to towns for this - in fact if we cut the number of castles it would help overall trade and reduce the number of professional / heavy units.)

Final point - plague doesn't do enough damage to population, needs to kill approx 10% per turn, and recur more frequently (randomnly.)
    ----------------

merchant cavalry -I'd reduce the number of factions that get these. as a generalisation the more powerful the feudal class vs the merchant class, the less likely you are to get merchant cavalry. So places like england didn't have them, but the Italian cities did. They were quite effective cavalry in their own right, but not super heavy elite cavalry.

------------------

just posted this in TheSavage's thread but thought I'd add it here:

One way of dealing with over-aggressive pope might be to make all papal units only recruitable in Rome and reduce their availability.

Outside of Rome he'd only be able to recruit mercenaries. (Which historically is pretty much what they did at times.)
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; May 01, 2009 at 08:02 AM. Reason: pope stuff

Good points there.

Another factor in city size was proximity to and availability of water, eg rivers or the sea.

PB: I'm still around, i just didnt had too many free time lately to finally finish the campaign. There are some features that i would like to include, but they are time consuming, which is a problem for me right now. Maybe i will have more time during this weekend..

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

I'm searching for reliable information on Lithuania

Found this excellent summary of medieval Lithuanian history:
    http://viduramziu.istorija.net/en/state.htm

our problem is 2-fold.

Early era - 1100 Lithuania isn't a nation state but a people amongst many others in the baltic area. SO should it appear in the 1100AD campaign as a proper faction or as rebels?

Late era Lithuania was joined to Poland in 1386 - so should the 1370 campaign have a combined Poland and Lithuania - or two separate factions which (because we have no spare faction slots) cannot be represented as a political union? (There's the same problem with the Union of Kalmar.) Any information we have about the Grand Duchy of Lithuania after 1386 represents this combined political entity - should Lithuania get Polish units? (Or Kievan Rus ones as they took over much of the lands held by Kievan Rus?)

I think they should be represented by only one faction - their union was quite solid and continued into 18.century..

Warning! Shameless self promotion!

I think my mod would make a worth addition. Check it out at:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=256138

Faction Crown Mod looks interesting and I'm sure it adds some great depth. I haven't tried becuase I'm not sure it is compatible with the compilation.

Great work to all those working together to make the game better. Point Blank, CC and everyone else I really appreciate your time and devotion. I would buy you a beer(or other preferable beverage) if I could.

Sorry I haven't sone much to update things, been doing some work with TATW. That's an awesome mod by the way.

JaM: Glad to hear you're around

About Poland and Lithuania, I'd rather have them as separate factions, because that's much less work for me than to alter RR so they are combined
    Last edited by Point Blank; May 01, 2009 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozanov View Post

Partly they had good agricultural land (so maybe we reduce the value of agricultural land in poorer parts of the map);
    they had good transportation - so population bonus for higher tier ports maybe (and maybe a limit on where the best ports can be built - and
    only allow paved roads in certain parts of the map (and highways around designated cities) and give a population bonus to roads?
    (can use hidden resource paved_roads, highways to control these.)
    they sucked in people from other parts of the country (even other countries) because of their employment opportunities, so maybe a population bonus to certain trade buildings.)

Final point - plague doesn't do enough damage to population, needs to kill approx 10% per turn, and recur more frequently (randomnly.)

One way of dealing with over-aggressive pope might be to make all papal units only recruitable in Rome and reduce their availability.

Outside of Rome he'd only be able to recruit mercenaries. (Which historically is pretty much what they did at times.)
    All fantastic points. Great thoughts!

Making the pope less aggressive is a constant issue. I am slightly concerned about making him too weak but I am not sure if that ever happens. I made him allied with all three Italian factions trying to keep him hemmed in by allies, but this gets wrecked as soon as Venice picks a fight with Genoa or Sicily.

i think i read somewhere about a mod that pretends to change the behaviour of melee battles that the soldiers in the back stops crumbling backwards but keep pushing forwards. sounds interesting
    "Männer der Krieg ist scheisse,
    aber er hat nen geilen Sound"

That is already a part of this mod.

oh shame on my head, very sorry
    "Männer der Krieg ist scheisse,
    aber er hat nen geilen Sound"

With the demand in the main SS thread, I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up: Tinkering/improving the Moors roster, especially in the early era. Not necessarily start making them knights, but perhaps add a unique unit or two, or alter some stats, upping the defense not in armor, but instead in defense skill or giving them some AP weapons. That way they have a chance to at least go toe to toe with a knight.

They have new units: moorish auxillia (AP axe), ME heavy archers, ME heavy spearmen and Fari Noble Cavalry (elite horse archers). Their RR setup has also been updated so its easier for them to access heavy units such as Christian Guard, plus some other changes to unit stats such as Nubian Spearmen are disciplined etc.

In regards to the Moors, I think they should receive some type of pike unit. Even from an early time the Almoravids used long spears planted in the ground at an angle like pikes. Would it be possible to make an early Moor unit that has long spears and the "Pike Wall" ability without it actually be a pike unit? If not, a regular pike unit would make them more viable late game anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    They have new units: moorish auxillia (AP axe), ME heavy archers, ME heavy spearmen and Fari Noble Cavalry (elite horse archers). Their RR setup has also been updated so its easier for them to access heavy units such as Christian Guard, plus some other changes to unit stats such as Nubian Spearmen are disciplined etc.
    Oh! Thanks Point Blank. I hadn't played the moors with the past release. I just recall alot of discussion about it in the SS forum, and thought I'd throw that in.

Don't know if its part of your modding work but Ireland could be reduced to 1-2 provinces and a new provice introduced in the east. Without a faction on Ireland it becomes kinda like bonus provinces for the player. Although it is useful for the Scots who have less provinces than the English.

Is a new faction going to be included now the Irish have gone? From a gameplay view the bottom righthand corner of the map seems to be almost set aside for Egypt. It would probably be the best spot to throw in a new faction but in terms of historical accuracy it may make people cranky.